Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westminster_z7nyc

Victorian style greenhouse not costing arm and a leg?

Westminster_7NYC
3 years ago

Hi all, any ideas on where to purchase a small beautiful English style greenhouse that doesnt cost you over 10k$ I love the ones from Hartley Botanic, but read that they can run over 20k$ for a small one! Here is an example from them. I could take or leave the brick foundation.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Westminster_7NYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you kudzu! very helpful!!

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

Good luck. Post back if you have further questions for me about this brand of greenhouse or its features. The one thing I forgot to mention that I also like about this greenhouse is that it has good height: the sidewalls are 6'-9" tall and the peak is about 9' so it feels much roomier than most greenhouses I've been in.

• HU-583053417
    3 years ago

A lot depends on your location as well as what you plan to do with the greenhouse. I live in the northeast and there is snow outside right now with temperatures in the 20's and 30's. I researched greenhouses extensively years ago before choosing one made of cedar which is a better insulator than any metal frame. Additionally, I installed 16mm triple wall polycarbonate with an R factor over 2. The base walls are insulated as was the timber frame. Six yards of gravel provide a heat sink for the floor. The end result is an efficient greenhouse which retains heat and can be used all winter long. My heat source is an oil filled space heater which cycles on if the interior temperature drops into the mid 50's. I do provide some extra insulation to the north side during the winter. Not sure if I can give names here but you can search and find several companies that produce cedar (and other types of wood) greenhouses. Mine came from western Canada. It did take time to build it and you might need to call in help if you want water and electricity which I personally think are necessities. If you don't plan to use it during the winter you can go with something less heat efficient. If you live in a warm area like down south and the temperature doesn't drop than you have many more options.

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

HU....-

While a wood frame is more of an insulator than metal, it is a very small fraction of the exposed surface area. Wood will also deteriorate over time, while an aluminum, powdercoated frame will last for decades. The glazing is the main thing to consider if energy efficiency is critical. You've done a lot of good things to have a functional greenhouse in your cold climate, but the choice of frame material isn't one of the major ones.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What is the reason for the Victorian style. I assume this will be used year round in which case I need to see your house. I find lots of nice greenhouses for a much better price but of cours not specifally Victorian so a bit more info would help. The actul workings of the greenhouse is IMO the main concern so the ability to vent on hot days ,ideally automatic is the first item .Or if you are handy try building one. Lee Valley has great book to show you how to DIY, might even be a good project during this covid stay home plan.

Westminster_7NYC thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Westminster_7NYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The house was built in 1906, is landmarked, and the 60' long garden will be in an arts and craft cottage style. As the garden is not that large, the greenhouse will be a focal point in the garden so needs to be period specific or at least not modern or an eye-sore. I am a touch handy, but I fear beyond assembling something with directions is beyond my expertise!

• User
    last year

Kudzu9, how fortunate for Westminster that you underwent the same project and could provide so many helpful details. It's suach specific request, yet, there you go. :-)