Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_688573100

Please help with living room furniture arrangement - TIA!

Apple
3 years ago

Hi everyone!

I've been mulling over how to arrange seating furniture in the living room for the last 5 months. As seen in the image, the living room dimensions is approximately 13'2" x 16'6". There is an electric fireplace in the corner, which complicates the furniture (for me). We want the focal point to be our 85" wall-mounted TV, which I've shown with the zig zag on the right wall. FYI the windows on the bottom wall start at waist-high.

We've considered things from:

• 1 U-shaped sectional
  • 1 L-shaped sectional + chair (seen below)
  • couch with chaise + chair

SO hates the idea of a traditional couch + loveseat + chair combo because he likes the idea of a chaise-like thing as part of the main couch, but maybe he can be convinced if that is the best option...

Can you please share what seating furniture you'd put in this space and how you'd arrange it? Also how big the size should be?

Items we've seriously considered are the IKEA Kivik 5-seat corner sectional (11 ft wide), and the RTG Highland Lake 2-pc Sectional (10ft wide). Are these too large for our space?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kivik-sectional-5-seat-corner-with-chaise-tallmyra-beige-s09338554/

https://www.roomstogo.com/furniture/product/highland-lakes-blue-2-pc-sectional/1212151P

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (7)

• Apple
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for your response! I’m familiar with the different orientations. I agree those 2 options are too large. Maybe an L shape that’s 100-110” on both sides instead? It’d be a 4 seater.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO if the TV is the focal point remove the FP it is not doing anything for the space and IMO a sofa and 2 chairs would be a better choice for furniture and honestly without measurements of the spaces around this it is hard to get a feel for this space. I think there is no room for a pool table since you require 5’ all around it. I find the easiest way to figure out what fits is to draw a to scale plan on graph paper then go to the drscription of the pieces ypua re planning and cut those out in the same scale adn marked the min. walkwys and paly with the pieces to see what works. in your case the pool table needs space sp start there if the pool table is a must. BTW there is no such thing as a sectional with 4 comfortable seats the only seats that are comfy are the ones with an armrest so 2 seats no matter how big the sectional is.

• Apple
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Patricia. This is a new construction home where the builders already had the fireplace on the plan when we purchased it. We don’t care for the fireplace, but as we are likely to sell in a few years, we will probably keep the fireplace as is.
    This place will generally only have 3 people. So if the sectional only has 2 comfortable seats + a chair for the third person, that’s fine. I mentioned the 4 seater in effort to reference size of furniture.
    Again, thanks for the input!

• ceilsan32
    3 years ago

IMHO, I feel either sofa will overwhelm that space, and ask if you've considered a shorter length sofa with larger ottoman for one end? Will this space have a cocktail table or end tables? I'd also agree that the area is too tight for a pool table, for aforementioned reasons.

• Apple
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ceilsan32 - this is the size I’m now considering. I think maybe 1 or 2 end tables?
    We figured that with 2 sides of the room open and the option to use short 36” sticks, a 7ft table would be doable... but I’ll carefully reconsider and discuss with the SO

• ceilsan32
    3 years ago

I really like the light color choice for a sofa, but having lived with someone who enjoyed playing pool, I would strongly recommend you give your SO a 36" stick (to simulate a shortened pool cue), then have him bend over a table, as if taking a shot (with stick fully extended), so you can precisely measure how far someone's body may project, both widthwise, and lengthwise, at all angles of your pool table.