Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_bernier

Kitchen colors help

Debbie
3 years ago

We're renovating our kitchen. Removing a wall, creating an island, adding a pantry, replacing all cabinets and counters. And redoing all the floors in the main (non bedroom) part of the house. And I'm struggling with how to put together the colors/patterns for the cabinets and granite. I've attached pictures for reference.

By the way, if you're wondering how to enter the pantry, the tall cabinet on the short wall is a fake cabinet. The door is actually the entrance. I'm hoping to use saloon hinges so I can just push it open from either side.

Regarding colors. Everything in our house tends to be warm tones. Wood, teak etc. I initially thought shades of gray would look nice and concluded that it doesn't. I have to stay with warm colors or I'd need to replace all the furniture.

We're fairly sure that the cabinets along the wall with the sink will be white similar to the current Florida room cabinets. The island cabinets will be a medium tone wood. My husband insists that the island can't be white. He hates the all-white cabinet look. And we're hesitant to make all the cabinets wood because the kitchen gets no natural light and I'm afraid it'll look too dark and heavy with wood cabinets.

The floor will be a medium wood-look tile. There are teak wall units and a teak dining room table in the living, dining and family rooms which I'd rather not replace so whatever we do has to not clash with those.

Our favorite granites are the ones with strong swirly patterns similar to fantasy brown or galactic storm and also like ones similar to Vega Blue (mostly black with iridescent inclusions). Hubby doesn't like the mostly white quartz. He thinks we should have one granite for the island and get a different one for the sink wall, the pantry wall and the little counter on the short pantry wall. I can't come up with a combo that works. To me, two different granite patterns will always clash with each other.

Should I re-think the cabinet colors? Try to find a single granite which will work on all surfaces (I like this idea)? Go with a bold pattern on the island and a solid color for the others (husband doesn't like this idea)? We will be improving the lighting by adding a lot of recessed lights and skylights so it'll be much lighter when we're done than it is now.

Many thanks for ideas and suggestions.

Comments (4)