Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desi84b

Kitchen cabinet color help

desi84b
3 years ago

Hello!
We finally B started on our kitchen updates and need to finalize our cabinet color choices. I like the dual color design. So a beige/gray for the uppers and a blue for the lower cabinets. Pictures below are the colors and our quartz/backsplash choices. I was also considered all gray or a very light blue pictured below. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Comments (45)

• K R
    3 years ago

A lot of variables here. Your home is very rustic. What are you doing with the floors and the ceiling/beams? What does the rest of the house look like? These factors will dictate what would work in your home.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

if that were the kitchen in a primary residence I owned I would do all the cabinets in the more invigorating blue in your first group of samples ......or something similar...not any grayed out shades..... I would be certain to have a fair number of upper cabinets w glass . Be sure I'd add runners or mats/ etc w pattern/color. Counter and backsplash : avoid dirty looking background colors ...veining just depends on the selection. . Presume the beams stay and floor stays. so you have the wood at the ceiling...a floor w more peachy red undertones.... warm walls veering into yellow undertones but the wood is casting some of the warmth. I might figure out a better wall color. . you can pick a very slightly grayed off white because of the warmth given off by adjacent wood. The floor is the most problem for me. When you change the wall color the floor that is there will work somewhat better, maybe. Perhaps a new floor would be a good investment and deemed necessary, due to the tones, if I were scrutinizing this. then on to kitchen decisions. Good Luck.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO 2 tone kitchens work best with real contrast in colors for cabinets. It looks to me like the beams are not part of the actual structure so maybe tell us a bit more about your style.The pics you are using for inspiration don’t really work in that very rustic space . Is this really a log house I need to know a bit more .Are the floors being changed ? The more info we get the more we can help.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone! The vigas/beams are part of the structure. The floors will stay for now since the majority of the house has them. This Is a very traditional Santa Fe home. I do have many blue tones throughout the house. Here are some more photos of the rest of the house

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I agree with everything Herbflavor said above. That blue would be wonderful for all the cabinets.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

It’s a lovely home! 🌈

• susan49417
    3 years ago

The cool grey colors you have chosen for cabinets, back splash and counters are not going to work with the color of all the wood beams and floors IMO. I think you need to look at different colors.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

You have a rustic, Spanish influenced home in Santa Fe, not a home that lends itself to a typical transitional look, IMO. I'd go in a modern Spanish revival direction instead. The beams by themselves are a very strong design element in this house, so I'd advise keeping the look simple. Bring in color with the tile, perhaps some modern cement or porcelain tiles with Spanish/Portuguese or Moorish influenced patterns. A few inspo pics:

Spanish Revival · More Info

Modern Spanish Revival · More Info

Spanish Revival House · More Info

• Marylee H
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

But I would measure the colours in the works surface to determine Hue Family and take my cue from there, for both more greyed & saturated colour companions.

No need to guess which greys work best with the veining - measure.

Vario Color Muse.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow! This is so helpful! This is an accent backsplash I was going behind the stove. Should I use this for the entire backsplash? I picked this neutral hexagon for the rest of the backsplash but I think I can still switch it. This hexagon looked great with the slab in the showroom. This is also the exact slab I picked.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I like the idea of the backsplash, for a house like yours, however, the slab looks a bit busy to me. I would like to see is lighter and a lot less veining. The backsplash is a bit busy too, but, its better to have same backsplash all the way, rather than something different behind your stove.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@marylee H —thank you for your advice! I changed the colors and tones. We are going with a nice white counter and stone backsplash and blue cabinets. How do I measure the colors in the work surface? I’ve been googling but can’t find anything.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

It’s possible to buy a little device called a Vario Color Muse - approx $59 dollars.

It links wirelessly to a free app on your phone/ipad.

You place the little gadget on the surface & press a button.

It uses its own internal light source to bounce a light beam off the surface.

The gadget measures the details of the reflection & sends the results to your phone.

Just screen shot the image which includes L (lightness) C (Chroma) h (Hue Angle°)

Post here + there will be be people to help Interpret the results to find harmonising colours. Or hire a Color Strategist to do the deed!

If you are doing a major reno, with the task of pulling lots of colours, surfaces, materials together, it will be DEFINITELY worth the investment.

If not - why not see if you can hire a similar device from Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams etc for the weekend?

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow! So interesting! Thank you!!!

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just need help with figuring the blue tone for the cabinets. So I’ll post my results when I get the device. Thanks again!!!

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

🌈Good Luck👍

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

@Marylee H Great stuff right here! 👍🏻

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ Marylee H I finally receive the color muse. I’m attaching the results for the counter, backsplash, beams and flooring colors. There is 158 sq ft of flooring and 201 sq ft of ceiling. Let me know what blue you think is best for the cabinets. Thank you!!!

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Backsplash colors

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Woohoi! I will enjoy looking at those tomorrow!

🌈

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awesome 😃 it’s a cool little tool.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Can you try something for me though? I need different data values to the ones you posted.

In your settings - choose these options.

Then go back to each scan & select it. You should see its data, something like this.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok. Let me know if this looks right

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Backsplash veining

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Fab! Let me have a look today and I will get back to you. 🌈👍

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

So, now you know,

how light each element is = L. (Higher no. = lighter the colour)

how colourful each element is = C (Higher no. = more colourful. Lower no. = more neutral)

In which each Hue Family = h°. ( Hue angle shows also where within a Hue Family too)

Both flooring and beams sit very closely together in the Yellow-Red Hue Family.

Backsplash is in the Yellow Hue Family with the coolest element in Green-Yellow.

It has some very colourful veining incorporated.

Your Quartz top appears a near neutral white colour from the end of the Yellow Hue Family.

Here are a couple of blue suggestions

(without knowing if you are after dark/medium/light/greyed) ?

They are directly complementary to the average h° of your flooring + beams, from the Blue Hue Family.

Colours of the same Chroma quantity have a shared attribute and are therefore have a connection. Blue Lava is very close in Chroma (colourfulness) to your flooring.

A couple of interesting ones to note, BM Pale Oak is very close to one scan from your backsplash.

Light French Gray sits between your backsplash veining and your Quartz worktop.

Some greys from this neighbourhood can look ‘just grey’.

Sometimes you may see a suggestion of inherent greenness as they are very close to the Green-Yellow Hue Family.

And - interesting to note, in imbalanced lighting they can often shift - blue !

Now you have your numbers you can get specific about what you like and what you don’t using the colour attributes.

Lighter? Darker? more greyed? more colourful? etc etc

🌈

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

These are more greyed, from the same Hue Family neighbourhood.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow Marilee! Thank you for helping me with this.! So helpful. It’s such a big decision for the paint. I forgot to mention this tile is where the bar is located. Color is complicated. Will those blue colors go with the overall design. I like Connor’s lakefront the most.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are the blue tones.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

It’s certainly complementary to the colours you measured.

But you still have decide if you like a combination.

You said it was for the cabinetry? Just the base units or all of them?

Have you decided on the wall colour?

Another way of choosing blue would be to pull it directly from your tiles.

🌈

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It would be for all the cabinets. I think the two tone may be too complicated. I may try to match that blue in the tile. The Connor’s lakefront may be too green? It’s so pretty. The wall is a butter yellow but may eventually paint a linen color. I sorta made a photo of what it would look like.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oops.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

The lighter is from the Blue—Green Hue Family

The darker is from the Purple-Blue Hue Family

You could work with either of those. It really depends what you are after?

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

They remind me of Spanish influences! 🌈

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marilee thanks again! I have figured out how to plop different on the color wheel. Let’s see what I finally decide :)

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Cool! The colour world is now your oyster! 🥳

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marilee, I am trying to figure what color this is but can’t match it to anything specific. Do you know what it is by any chance? It’s a color from the color muse. I also like indigo batik but I can’t tell if it’s too dark/bright.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Was this a surface/object you measured? I see no close match to the data. Here are a few from the neighbourhood. Indigo Batik is similar in terms of Value (Lightness), but it is more colourful by almost 5 points.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

P.s. Don’t forget, if you are trying to harmonise with a fixed finish/surface in your space it isn’t always necessary to ’match’ it.

You can go for lighter/darker/warmer/cooler/more colourful/more neutral - also.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! That was a color I pulled from the tile. I do think that maybe it’s to colorful.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Now with that data we can pull lighter, more neutral etc.

• desi84b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Too*