Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmwhite88

Updating 90s floor/trim/doors in a 1966 home

Nick
3 years ago

My home is a ranch and was built in 1966 with hardwood floors throughout most of it (living room, hallway, three bedrooms). The floors are in good shape. Sometime in the late 90s, much of the trim and doors were replaced with good materials - solid 6-panel doors and red oak baseboard trim (3.25" tall) all finished in golden oak. I believe the floors were also refinished at this time as there is evidence of carpet tack strips in the bedrooms.

I've seen variations of this question asked many times before, but I would like some feedback with my situation specifically. How should I update the wood? It's worth mentioning that the kitchen currently has cheap laminate abutting the real hardwood (see pictures) that I want to replace with matching hardwood. Areas I want to address:

1) Install hardwood floors in kitchen and refinish all floors simultaneously with a light stain (to preserve light)

2) Paint golden oak trim white or replace with all new white trim - need input here

3) Replace all door hardware - color depends on door finish

4) Refinish doors - possibly stain darker to contrast with white trim

My goal here is to de-90s and de-brass the house. I'm not set on keeping the existing trim if replacing it would provide a cleaner look.

Comments (7)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

In setting priorities, what bugs you the most? The floor, the oaky-ness, the style, other?

• Fori
    3 years ago

Is there any 60s style left to the house? If so, go back to the 60s for trim inspiration. It'll be a cleaner look.

• Nick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@apple_pie_order I'd say it's the golden oak color. The style of the trim itself isn't really an issue but at the same time I'm not opposed to changing it. I tend to go for a cleaner, more modern look.

@Fori In short, no. The only feature that is original to the house is the light blue/gray marble window sills on just about every window.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

First things first: find out the species of your wood floor. We don't have very many room shots of the floors...which makes figuring out the COLOUR they will become once sanded/finished in a CLEAR COAT finish. What you are seeing right now is not a 'stain'. It is oil based polyurethane that has ambered (turned orange) just by aging. I would say there is NO stain on the floors. They are a birch (maybe maple....TOO HARD to tell from these slices in the photos) with a finish over top...no stain.

The floor colour will drive the rest of the house. And yes...those floors in the kitchen are the very reason why we tell people NOT to put fake wood next to real wood. And the person who did it is probably colour blind. The clash of colours is enough for me to scratch my eyes out!

But I digress. Personally I would find out the floor species FIRST. Then I would get a hardwood flooring professional to come in and offer a quote for the purchase of 'more' of the same wood (in the same cut, width and grade) and the cost to lace in the two floors and refinish them.

That's going to be your 'big budget' ticket item. That will tell you what's left in the bank account. Painting out the trim is going to be a pain. The HEAVY graining of the red oak = doesn't look good when painted. I would assume you will need to remove/replace the wood trim unless otherwise convinced that something awesome could be done with them. I doubt it. Much of the trim looks like a patch-work-quilt that has been done a different times with different species of wood and different finish at different times with different skill levels.

The doors on the other hand are a different story. If they are solid core, then they are worth a bundle. I would keep them and try to find a shade of stain or paint that would look handsome with the FINAL look of my floors.

If you find out you have a VERY PALE wood underneath the orange oil based finish you might discover how pale they are when finished in a high-end two part water based finish (ahem...do NOT go with oil based finish or else you will simply end up with the same colour of floor = bright yellow/orange).

I've seen Birch and Maple as well as red and white oak look as pale as wheat or dry sand. It is a markedly different tone compared to what you have now.

• Nick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@SJ McCarthy Thanks for your detailed response. I agree - the mismatch of the floors bothers me and it's also a tripping hazard with the threshold there!

I think the floor might be quarter sawn white oak though I can't confirm that. I really like the idea of a clear coat if the existing wood can be stripped to remove the ambered finish. I've built some of the furniture in my house and always go that route.

I'm leaning toward remove & replace the trim so I can do it white with a lighter floor. I have someone coming to look at it next week. As for the doors, I'll probably wait to see how things look with the floors before moving on them, but yes, they are heavy, solid doors.

• Nick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@SJ McCarthy Here's an update:

I've had two flooring pros out to look at the job. Got one quote back and waiting on the other. The first one was quite reasonable and in line with what I was expecting so no budget issues there. Both contractors thought the existing wood is regular (not quarter sawn) white oak and should be easy to source.

My plan now is to remove all of the existing trim (3" red oak) and replace with 4" or 5" squared off white (no ornate details). The need for quarter round at the bottom will depend on how close to the walls the existing floors get when I remove the trim. I will remove it before the floors are redone and install the new afterwards.

As far as the doors go, my plan right now is to paint the door jambs white but leave the doors themselves until I can see how they look with the refinished floors. I think it's possible the white trim will look good with the existing doors as is. Door hardware will also depend on how this final look is. What do you think?

I'm also looking for ideas for the door casings that are modern & clean that will go with the new trim I plan to install. Input on hardware color would be appreciated.

If anyone else sees this feel free to give me your thoughts! -N

• wdccruise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I refinished my white oak flooring with (a) Bona Dri-Fast Stain - Natural, (b) Bona ClassicSeal Sealer, (c) Bona Mega - Satin and the results are very good. I didn't think of it at the time but would have liked to have seem how the floor would have looked without the stain.

I installed 1/2 in. x 4-1/4 in. x 96 in. MDF Primed Base Moulding which I painted white. I probably would have used 1/2 in. x 3-1/2 in. x 96 in. MDF Primed Base Moulding instead but I had to cover up the mess left after removal of the old molding. I did NOT use quarter round!

I'd consider using tile in the kitchen instead of extending the wood. I'd use the same baseboard molding as used elsewhere.