Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_340329252

Sink, fixtures, paint, and soapstone counters?

Hi all, I'm thinking through how I want to update the kitchen in the house I'm buying. It's an 1880s farmhouse but the kitchen is in an addition with a more transitional feel and I want to shift the aesthetic slightly towards the simple but traditional moldings in the original part of the house.

I hate the granite counters and am hoping I like soapstone -- I really love the look, and I have some samples coming from my local M. Teixeira dealer to see how it seems in person. Cabinets and floor are staying, that wood ceiling is definitely staying, pendant lights may be replaced one day but not before move in, and we're going to put in a vent hood which will probably involve filling in that open window behind the range.

So, questions:

1. Is soapstone going to look too dark? I like the oiled look and would prefer a darker stone, plus I think it might pick up the black trim on the cabinets. The sink is on the NW wall and the big doors to the deck are on the SE wall. I think soapstone will make it seem warm and cozy (the shiny granite is a little cold), but I'd love a second opinion.

2. I want to undermount a big single-bowl sink so I can scrub my big roasting pan and brush crumbs right into the sink. Do I want a stainless steel one (with slightly rounded corners, the very sharp corners look too contemporary) or one of those trendy white apron-front farmhouse sinks? Let's say purely aesthetically for now, I know there are price and cabinet considerations too.

3. A lot of photos I've found of wood + soapstone kitchens have beautiful vintage-looking bridge faucets, but I want the practicality of a single handle pull-down faucet. (I don't like side sprayers.) Should I go for something traditionally styled like the KohlerArtifacts Pullout Spray High-Arch, or a commercial style one like the Kraus Bolden (just for example)?

4. Paint: the beadboard is currently Revere Pewter, which I'm happy to keep, but I want to lighten the upper parts of the walls. BM White Dove? It's going to continue into the next room with the wood coffered ceiling

5. If we fill in the window behind the range, I probably need a backsplash, right? Would simple white subway tile only behind the range (and up to the hood) look okay? I kind of love the look of handmade tiles like the Clé zellige tile, but I want to do all the kitchen stuff + painting before we move in and I don't want to shell out for pricy tile if it ends up looking weird with the paint.

Thank you so much for reading my wall of text! Incredibly grateful for anything you may suggest.

Comments (23)

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    3 years ago

What a lovely home! Is your goal with the kitchen to make it look a little less contemporary? It's kind of a strange mish-mash of styles right now, with a more traditional cabinet style but that extremely shiny and busy granite (not to mention the pendants). Do you plan to keep the floors? Also, have you tried opening the refrigerator? It looks like the right door might be problematic given that it is right up against the wall.

• Artemisia Halicarnassou
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, I'd like to make the kitchen a little less contemporary. Eventually I think I'd like to change the pendants for schoolhouse style lights with frosted glass, but that doesn't need to happen before we move in. And yes, I'm keeping the floors -- I don't love them but I don't hate them! But I definitely want to get rid of the granite.

Below is an example of the styling of the original part of the house. I'm going to repaint but keep the molding! It's Victorian chronologically but a much more restrained and simple design than you'd see in a Queen Anne or something. I'm aiming for farmhouse but not Fixer Upper-style "modern farmhouse."

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

Soapstone would be beautiful in there. A white farmhouse sink would be beautiful with the soapstone and the cabinets. White farmhouse sinks are not trendy -- they've been around a long, long time -- and would aesthetically would fit in with a historic house better than stainless IMO.

3 years ago

I actually LOVE the color of your dining room, although not with that furniture. The moldings are fantastic, though. Anyway, if less contemporary is your goal with the kitchen I think soapstone would be a great choice (full disclosure: I own a 1898 Victorian Foursquare and I am planning to use soapstone when I remodel the kitchen, so I may be biased). You already have a lot of stainless so if you want an apron-front sink, I would consider white (or you could have the sink made of soapstone as well).

As for the hood/backsplash, since you will be losing the 4" splash you currently have when you redo the counters, I would do tile on both walls rather than replacing the 4" with soapstone. IMO the 4" splash just looks a bit unfinished/cheap. Have you thought about what style hood you want? That will give you another opportunity to bring in a more period-appropriate element.

• pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I completely agree that soapstone would look great with those lovely cabinets. Another sink option might be a soapstone farmhouse sink. I would go with a more traditional faucet vs a commercial style faucet. Would you consider replacing the current range with a range without a backsplash? I think that might look better on a peninsula.

3 years ago

@nycbluedevil_gw, just wanted to say that your soapstone is GORGEOUS. Do you know what variety you have? Supplier?

Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone!

re: vent hood, I was just going to go with a simple utilitarian-looking stainless steel one -- the Wirecutter liked the GE JVW5301 and I usually trust their appliance reviews -- but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm concerned about tiling between the cabinets and the counter because I'm not sure what to do with the small space between where-the-backsplash-would-go and the wall to the right of the stove -- don't want to go all the way up to the ceiling, but am afraid it would look weird if I went to the height of the bottom of the uppers when there are no uppers on that wall. Thoughts?

Actually, do I need a wall behind the range? I sort of assumed I did, because I don't want smoke and grease and so forth to fly into the next room through those windows, but if I have a hood and it doesn't need a wall to hang from, is that going to be sufficient?

3 years ago

IMO, yes you need a hood, and yes, it needs a wall to be mounted on. It always surprises me when I see free-standing houses without hood ventilation. I lived in an apartment for many years that didn't allow outside venting and it was really not ideal. Every surface in the kitchen was always covered with a fine layer of grease no matter how frequently I cleaned, and I set off the smoke alarm constantly. Installing a properly-vented hood is one of the best improvements you will be able to make to this kitchen!

As for the wall to the right of the range, you will probably have to find a new home for that glass-door cabinet in the corner once you install a hood - it won't be fully accessible with a hood in place. If you choose a hood that is meant to hang under a cabinet, perhaps you could repurpose it to go over the hood. Regardless, you'll need to find something else to do with that corner - you could leave it empty, add a corner cabinet or add some open shelving. Given the style you are going for I would be inclined to add some open shelving on both sides of the hood.

• nycbluedevil_gw
    3 years ago

to answer the question above, I don’t remember what the soapstone is called. The supplier was somewhere in Long Island City. If I heard the name, I might remember it.

while I really do love the soapstone, it is one of the softer varieties, and it scratches really easily. I am about to redo the kitchen, not because I don‘t like it but because the cabinet and appliance configuration could be better. And I need a new project. And I hate the flagstone floors. When I redo the kitchen, I will probably get quartzite and repurpose the soapstone as a counter in my laundry room and a counter in one of my bathrooms. I already have counters of the same slab in my master bath, and it is fine. But I want to get something that doesn’t scratch and chip as easily for the kitchen. I think there are much harder varieties of soapstone but the lighter ones, like this one, tend to be softer, I believe.

3 years ago

@nycbluedevil_gw Thanks for the info! I lived in Sunnyside for many years so LIC would have been perfect then, but now that we are up in Westchester I will probably turn to M. Teixiera for my soapstone needs. I will keep the hardness of whatever material I choose in mind, though. Scratches don't bother me but chips definitely do. Glad you can repurpose it!

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

IMO, yes you need a hood, and yes, it needs a wall to be mounted on.

Curious why she couldn't use a hood that is mounted to the ceiling?

• nycbluedevil_gw
    3 years ago

The scratches are horrible. Worse than the chips. I had a box on the counter which must have had a staple or something else on the bottom. Dragged it across the counter. Big long gouge. We are not talking about little scratches. I can actually take my fingernail and gouge it myself in some of the softer spots. Someone opened a bottle of wine and turned the bottle as she was using the corkscrew. Big wide circle. So be really careful.

3 years ago

@suedonim75 Theoretically she could use a ceiling-mounted hood, but leaving the wall behind the range open would drastically reduce its effectiveness, especially since the hood wouldn't be able to extend behind the range due to that support beam.

• plf12652
    3 years ago

There is a quartz that has the look of soapstone....I was thinking of soapstone for new countertop but also heard how soft it is....yes you can use your fingernails to scratch it. Take a look at the quartz option.

• plf12652
    3 years ago

Or a leathered black granite!

Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@plf12652 I gave my kids the soapstone samples I ordered, some forks, a wine bottle, and a cast iron pan. The Anastacia and the Stormy Black seem to be standing up to them okay, and the Alberene almost as well. I'll mess around with mineral oil on them in a bit.

My concern about honed granite is ease of staining with oil, and ditto with honed/matte quartz plus the heat concern. Basically if I don't want shiny stone (which I don't, really) it seems like I'm either going to be avoiding oil spatters or avoiding scratches and dents.

Original Author
    3 years ago

@biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley) Thanks for pointing out the refrigerator door issue -- I hadn't noticed that, but it does only open about 85 degrees on that side. Might end up swapping it out for one with a single door that can be hung with left hinges.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

"My concern about leathered granite is ease of staining with oil..."

Granite won't stain with oil if it's properly sealed, and many granites (especially dark ones) don't need sealing at all. Multiple threads on the forum about this.

Original Author
    3 years ago

@mxk3 z5b_MI I mistyped leathered when I meant honed. Can you point me to a couple of relevant threads, if it's not too much trouble? Google results have indicated generally that even sealed granite can stain, and that honed granite is more prone to staining than polished.

• Tara
    3 years ago

How about butcher block on the island and soapstone on the perimeter? Or would that be too much wood tone for you?

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@nycbluedevil_gw - Well, your comment makes me very sad! I thought I was set on soapstone - I’ve wanted it for awhile. But now I’m rethinking my choice. Would you mind posting some photos of the scratches/dents? My understanding is that it’s ”easy” to buff soapstone - is that not true in your experience? Thanks!

• Janet Campbell
    3 years ago

Belvedere soapstone is very hard.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH