Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_paulson59

Kitchen remodel - need appliance help. Wolf vs Miele or Thermador, etc

Amanda
3 years ago

We're remodeling our kitchen and need a new fridge, oven(s), rangetop, dishwasher, microwave. We don't need crazy bells and whistles but do want really good-quality appliances that will last, be reliable, and are great to cook with (and we currently hate everything we have except our rangetop).

After visiting the appliance store yesterday, we were inclined to spend the money and go with Wolf/Subzero for fridge (42" french doors over freezer), rangetop (36" either with 6 burners or 4 burners plus a griddle) and double ovens (either E-Series or M-series).

Trying to decide on Bosch vs Miele vs KitchenAid for dishwasher.

Now I'm looking online and seeing complaints with Wolf, especially with the enamel chipping. Is Wolf worth the cost? Do the ovens function well/heat up quickly? What else should we be considering? We haven't settled on anything yet but would like to do so soon... I'm wondering if we'd be better off looking at a different brand entirely. We care far more about function and reliability than appearance, and just want appliances that will work really well and last a long time.

Any advice welcome!

Comments (12)

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I am replacing my appliances one at a time (house came with functional appliances, but old and not efficient).

Replaced refrigerator/freezer first. (Replaced 2 R/F with 1 R/F and 1 full freezer).

I bulk buy and put up my own frozen veggies/fruits in the summer for the winter.

My goal is always best value (quality vs cost).

I bought an LG RF on sale at Costco. At that time I could buy 5 LGs for the cost of 1 Sub Zero. Although the Sub Zero had better repair records and should last longer than an LG they won't last 5 times longer. Even if they did - I won't live long enough to own another 4 RF. LG was rated a reliable brand by CR.

The freezer is in my unheated Garage in Pennsylvania. If you are placing a freezer in a garage there are only a few brands that market a full size upright freezer that is "garage ready".

The best one I could find was made by Frigidaire. Also has extra thick walls and will keep foods frozen for over 48 hours if the electricity goes out. Sub Zero does not make a garage ready upright freezer.

Like Patricia, I bought a Bosch Dishwasher. This was a no brainer - It seems to be the hands down favorite of everyone. Miele was also well liked and had good repair records, but not worth the additional $$$.

I have not replaced the Washer Dryer yet - 20+ year old Amana. (Prior to Amana buyout). Someday soon they will die. I have bought their replacements. Got a set of speed queens from one of my sister's neighbors. They bought the house and the white, top load Speed Queen set came with the house. They had their own prettier front loads. Got the pair for $200.00 and they are commercial quality.

I will be replacing the current range and microwave. I don't need a single or double wall oven. One oven suffices for my needs. I bake a lot of pastries. When I bake I get a rhythm going - while 1 batch is baking another is rising and I am rolling/filling the third batch. If I could bake more than two sheets at a time I would have to roll/fill more than 2 sheets in 20 minutes - not happening. I tend to use a variety of cooking methods for different dishes using various equipment (sous vide, air fryer, pressure cooker, slow cooker, deep fryer, gas grill or pellet grill, steamer) and seldom find a need to have 2 different dishes requiring 2 different temperatures needing to go into the oven at one time. I do require a good deal of counter space for all of my individualized apparatuses.

I have not determined which brand I will be getting when I get the new range. I know I want gas. Again, like Patricia, I have a single induction burner for delicate foods that need very specific temperatures. My old electric range that came with the house leaves a lot to be desired.

I also have not replaced the microwave yet. I don't use it for much other than thawing something I forgot to get out of the freezer, making popcorn or softening butter. My first microwave was an Amana counter top MW - I owned it for 30 years when I gave it away when I moved. The 18 year old over the range GE microwave in my current home is sad - I can press the 30 second button to soften butter and it doesn't melt. The over the stove lights also don't work well -flicker or don't come on at all and i am not thrilled with the ventilation - I open a window and turn on the fan if I burn something. .

My current thought process is that I would prefer a range hood with lights over the stove and a microwave that isn't directly over the range. I am not a big fan of dual use appliances. The compromise will be that I have to give up either cabinet or counter space for the microwave if it isn't over the range. (10x10 galley kitchen).

I have a friend that split her 10x10 kitchen into two rooms so she could have an office. She kept just a small fridge, microwave, coffee-maker and a single induction burner. She has just a couple of cabinets and a small sink. She doesn't cook.

My mother cooked for 15-20 people every day, (Amish heritage) She needed the double wall ovens and an 8 burner stove and 2 microwave ovens. Most of her equipment was restaurant style, commercial grade equipment. I grew up thinking everybody had a milkshake maker, deli style meat slicer and a sausage grinder in their kitchens. I don't know the history of sub-zero, but I do know that in 1963 my mom had a full size stainless steel sub zero refrigerator and a full size sub zero stainless steel freezer in her kitchen. She wouldn't have chosen these to impress anyone, but my dad would have asked the owner of the local restaurant supply company and some of the local chefs for recommendations.

My daughter loves to bake and has built a small side business baking wedding cakes and birthday cakes. She is desperate to own the Blue Star double wall oven with French doors.

Picking the best value for your money is very personal choice. You need to know what you cook, how you cook and what equipment you will use. Based on that information choose the equipment that best fits your needs and budget.

• D Bee
    3 years ago

Miele DW - we have a standard home model and love it so much. The installation team were direct from Miele even though we bought it at a local family run appliance store. We have had it for 5 years now and only had one issue. It was dealt with professionally and very quickly by Miele.

• opaone
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What functionality are you looking for? How much do you cook now and expect to cook in the future? Baking? Will you be doing much entertaining? Are you concerned with resale?

You specifically want a cooktop and not a range?

Having been through several kitchen builds/remodels for ourselves and helped a number of others some quick thoughts for a functional kitchen;

Range: Bluestar RNB w/ thermostatic griddle

Convection Oven: Miele (w/ wireless probe & Moisture Plus)

CSO: Miele

Fastbake: GE Advantium 240v (Not 120v)

Warming Drawers: Miele

In-Kitchen Frig: SZ

Garage Frig's:

Range Hood: Accurex

DW: Miele, Asko, Bosch

Icemaker: Scotsman or Manitowac

Wine Frig: SZ or Perlick

Coffee/Espresso: Breville Oracle (touch or regular), Rancilio Silvia

Notes:

Multiple electric circuits are your friend. We have a number of countertop induction hobs, roasters, bain-marie's, immersion circulators and other things that we cook and serve with. Some of these are 10-15 amps each so need their own dedicated circuit. Cheap to do now, expensive later.

There's a world of difference between a thermostatic griddle and a burner top. I wrote something on this that I'll try to find if I get a chance.

Amanda thanked opaone
  • adeane
    3 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting and any other opinionated readers - I really appreciate your advice. I am about to remodel my kitchen and am struggling with being pinned in by a 42 in built in KitchenAid SBS that I detest. I want to do the Frigidaire columns but they are off the market for now (I did email 5 minutes ago to see when they are returning to market and might hold on remodel until they are back). On the same wall is a Kitchenaid Microwave/oven combo that is near death. I am planning to steal that space to free up refrigerator space. I will then convert the cooktop area (other side of the kitchen) into a dual fuel range in one space. This will reduce the number of new cabinet boxes I need so I can reface and do new countertops.

My only appliance requirement is the longest possible life followed by good service and available parts. I do not care what brand anything is. The first bid for a Subzero 48 in fridge and a Wolf dual fuel range is $25k. Again, I do not care about brands and I just can't get to needing to spend this much. Appliance guy just rebid with Dakor professional duel fuel range and built in 48 in fridge for $18k. This is crazy to me as I am reading that Dakor is owned by Samsung, many people get lemons, service before AND after Samsung purchase is non-existent with 3rd year warranties not being honored in year 3. I will give him his chance Monday to sell this but I would probably rather spend $25k as I have the impression this purchase (based on internet reviews) is roughly equivalent to lighting $18k on fire.

I don't enjoy cooking but with 4 kids, require 6 burners to cook the typical combo of pressure cooker, multiple pasta pots due to Gluten Free and non-GF along with a few other items - generally 5 pots on the stove at once for dinner.

Sorry for being so long winded and hijacking this thread but like Amanda Paulson, I will find the money to buy the appliance that is proven to work the best and last the longest. I do not care what brand anything is so I really appreciate Patricia's feedback with mixed brands. The Betazzoni has some pretty awful reviews also, so can share how long you have had it?

Questions for readers:

1. I believe (after many dying appliances) that I never want an appliance again with shared functionality. I really want to separate the fridge and freezer, maintain counter depth/built in look and not spent 5 figures. Any known options?

2. I am breaking my rule in #1 and combining the oven and cooktop into one unit (due to kitchen layout that is not affordable to change) - what is the best dual fuel range and the 2nd best give $10k for Wolf is just not working for me?

Reliability is #1 and I do not care about brand names or resale. I care about not messing with the appliance for the next 15 years and it working every time. Thank you, thank you in advance for thoughts, opinions or facts destroying any of my beliefs. I am open to rethinking everything.

One last comment: I know the world loves Bosch dishwashers but I have had 2 in the last 12 years and both died around the 5 year mark (household of 6 and we run 1-2x per day but Whirlpool and KitchenAid have lasted longer). I am back with a KitchenAid dishwasher. The first one leaked and messed up my wood floors. Was purchased through Costco so ultimately, dishwasher 3 (yes, there was a problem with #2 but service was great) has worked beautifully and Whirlpool was easy to work with and settled at $5k for repairs to floors. I would buy Whirlpool/KitchenAid again in a heartbeat as a brand and especially through Costco for what it's worth as the problem was dealt with and once I got a unit that didn't leak, it has been perfect for 2 years now.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Most people want high quality appliances that will last 20 years. Most people are also disappointed.

Today's appliances simply do not last that long.

https://www.consumerreports.org/appliances/how-long-will-your-appliances-last/

• D Bee
    3 years ago

sad but true. the furnace tech just told me to expect 15-17 years MAX from our current system. things are simply built NOT to last on purpose. consider how long your parents had a car and how long we keep cars now.

• ktj1224
    3 years ago

I'm trying to decide on oven now as replacing our 20 year JennAir double ovens. I'm between Miele and Wolf. For a Dishwasher I researched them to death and was between the Bosch and Miele. I decided on Bosch bc it was $1400 less, BUT found out it was about a 6 month wait due to supply chain issues, so I got Miele. The Miele is off the charts the best dishwasher I've ever owned!!! Glad I was forced into it. It has 3 wash arms, super adjustable racks and the silver ware rack is off the charts better than the baskets most dishwashers have. Can't wait to hear what you go with oven-wise bc I need help!!!!

Amanda thanked ktj1224
  • Amanda
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I think we've actually decided to go with the Bosch dishwasher over the Miele, though we haven't pulled the trigger yet. Good to know how much you like the Miele. And I think we've decided on the Wolf ovens (my parents actually have double JennAir ovens that are now 45 years old, and still working well...).

• wekick
    3 years ago

@Amanda

Make sure that you are familiar with the issue of the blue enamel chipping on any Wolf product with blue ovens. It has been going on for almost the entire time those ovens have been in production, 19 years. There are many accounts of this on this forum.

• c9pilot
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

To answer question #1: one of my many reasons for splurging on the SZ is the dual compressors. So although the SxS may be one unit, it functions like a separate fridge and freezer. Also I like the compressors on top because I found those with compressors below were just too tall for reaching stuff in the back of that top shelf, and I’m 5’7” (I forget which columns I looked at in showrooms but I didn’t like any of them). Ours is 14 years old and we’ve had one $110 service call, years ago.

Veggies do actually last longer. We have a Whirlpool utility fridge for mostly drinks, but we use it for overflow after a Costco run so we’ve seen the damage when veggies get put in the wrong fridge.

Amanda thanked c9pilot
  • tangerinedoor
    3 years ago

Are the appliances you are considering Energy Star? If not, I would move on and choose something else. (Keep in mind, not all appliance categories can be Energy Star; e.g. I think stoves don't).

Apart from the money you will save in ever-ever-ever -ncreasing utility bills, some states give rebates/coupons on Energy Star appliances.

My house got a very significant incentive because every relevant appliance is Energy Star. When you do many appliances this way, it is very beneficial to the State, because you are lowering the amount of power you're drawing from the grid. And insightful states don't want to be building out more grid or hiking costs to other customers.

Other than that, I don't know anything about appliances. For me, that was the priority.