Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abigail_carson88

Beginner upgrading 1960's bathroom, Help!

Abigail Carson
3 years ago

My husband and I recently purchased a 1965 house with great bones. Neither of us have owned properties in the past so our arsenal of tools are sparse. We have 2 bathrooms that could use some love (and reconfiguration) but that we do not have a huge budget for upgrading (we have a complete kitchen reno planned that we are dedicating our funds to). As a general overview, we wont be reconfiguring the bathrooms, but I'd like to paint the walls and cabinets, resurface the cabinets to a shaker style, add new cabinet hardware and update light fixtures; use rust oleum to paint over the beige tile and tub in the one bathroom; install a new vent (which is currently vented to the attic and will need to be vented through the roof); resurface counters with an epoxy; and maybe do a peel and stick flooring.

1. What software do you like to play around with for design and layout? I don't have drawings for the house and would like to put together a 3D plan myself to play around with remodeling.

2. Suggestions on a saw for a beginner to cut materials to resurface cabinets that will also serve as a staple tool for future projects? We don't have an abundance of space to store tools so I want to make sure I purchase a versatile tool, but also one that will allow me to easily cut straight lines as an amateur DIYer (I'm thinking a sliding miter saw)

3. Suggestions on where to purchase inexpensive good cabinet hardware and light fixtures? I've purchased hardware from Amazon and Lowes in the past but wanted to see if any experts out there had particular sellers or other places they recommend looking beyond the obvious?

4. Advice on brands of bathroom fans for a very humid climate? The fan that is installed died and was only vented to the attic, not through the roof. Since the fan has died, our walls are sweating after showers and I need to get this fixed asap. Being a beginner I'm petrified to cut a hole in my roof. Would you recommend a beginner hire a handyman to vent through the roof?

5. Any advice from those that have painted/resurfaced countertops and used peel and stick floors? What did you use? Did it last? Was it relatively easy to do?

6. Suggestions on color scheme for the walls, cabinet, flooring, and new rugs. I like neutrals and blues. I've put up paint samples and have found I like SW Agreeable gray, SW Alabaster, or SW Silver Strand for the walls.

Advice on any of this is greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Sorry, can't help on the software. Do a search on Houzz to see what comes up from users.

A bathroom would not be the place to try out your DIY skills. Let's see if someone can hang a shelf with anchors first or paint for that matter. You don't want to get in over your head and burn money on any DIY project.

• Abigail Carson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I appreciate the advice. I’ve taken on many a paint and hanging project, just not experienced in the realm of resurfacing cabinets and floors. I feel I’m competent enough to take on some of these smaller projects myself.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

OK. I was very good at demo and assembly but I cannot tile to save my soul.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I also would not use rustoleum or do a diy on a tub. If you want to get the tub redone, hire a professional, that has all the proper tools and products to do it right. Quite honestly, I wouldnt do all that much in the bathrooms, right now. They look to be clean and fresh, and well maintained. Leave them, until you have more time, and concentrate on your kitchen remodel. Things you do now, when you are excited to get things done, may not be what you want a year from now. When ever it isnt absolutely necessary, it is better to live in a house for 6 months to a yr before deciding just what you really want. The house will tell you what it needs in that amount of time. Congratulations on your new home.

• crcollins1_gw
    3 years ago

I just commented this exact thing on another thread. If you just moved in, and the rooms are functioning okay (not falling apart or safety hazards), take your time and live there for at least a year (two is better) before making changes that take significant time or money. You'll find other things may take priority, you'll learn the space better and you can decide what is really important to you. And gives you time to save up!!

• M V
    3 years ago

If you feel you MUST do something in the bathrooms, then I'd change the paint colour in both and just spruce things up a bit otherwise.

In the first small bath, is that a heating vent on the side of the vanity nearest the toilet? If so, take it off and paint it white to match the vanity. Spray paint will do a good job on that. Light coats and it will dry quickly.

A coat of a nice paint colour on the walls. Choose a colour you really like and give it a go. With everything else being white, you can go in almost any direction for wall paint. Green, grey, navy would look fantastic with the bright white otherwise. Some nice fluffy new towels will add a lot to the rooms.

It those toilets are original, you might consider replacing them. Newer toilets use much less water than older ones and you could find a dual flush one. The smaller flush uses a fraction of the water.

It looks like some of the vanity doors might be loose on their hinges. See if you can tighten them up so the doors will close properly and look nice. Doors hanging open drive me crazy but also have a tendency to get banged up more as people knock them with their knees etc.

Update your switch cover plates to something clean and modern.

When you have a larger budget you can look at replacing the vanities, sinks, faucets etc. The mirrors in two of the pictures look really tiny. You might find a vintage mirror that you could use for now, to add some style. They don't have to be expensive at all.

• originaltuckerdc
    3 years ago

For me, just a repaint over that gold/yellow/mustard would go a long way towards sprucing that bath. And looks like the cupboards would be a pretty easy paint job as well. Start very small. One step at a time. And ABSOLUTELY leave a tub resurfacing to the pros.

• PRO
  • Seabornman
    3 years ago

I did my own tub resurfacing in order to sell a house. Not something I'd recommend, as it is nearly impossible to get an even coverage with a roller and, even with a respirator, I'm sure it kills brain cells. I do 90% of my home remodel work with a Delta 10" miter saw and a Craftsman table saw. The table saw is a cheap, light one you can move around. Panasonic makes great exhaust fans. Quiet.

• CeltiaKris
    3 years ago

I agree with others who pointed out your bath pictures show clean, neutral, and functional already. And that it's a great idea to live in the space a little while before investing in any changes. A coat of paint, a new faucet, and a new light will - seriously - work wonders.

But you also asked some specific questions, so here goes. :-)

1. For software, personally I liked Homestyler for a while, but then they rebranded it as Planner 5D and started upcharging for just about everything. Then later, a different company started hosting a different Homestyler that I like a lot. But keep in mind, these are free (unless you opt to shell out for the upgraded tools), so be careful how much info you share. If you want to go high tech, Sketchup is a fantastic 3D drawing tool, with lots of plugins for furniture and fixtures... but the learning curve is STEEP.

1. You're smart to invest in tools carefully... but you may not need anything carpentry-related for your baths just yet. Miter saws are great if you have a ton of crown to install, but I don't expect you'll be building your own cabs or doors, right? DH and I bought a hand-held circular saw 20 years ago, and it's still our main saw. There are ways to set up portable workspaces on sawhorses, and use a straightedge with clamps to get clean, straight cuts. But if you have real cutting to do and space for storage, a table saw is great. Don't overlook the value of a great cordless drill, high quality bits, good wrenches, and 2 measuring tapes in good condition.

2. Hardware and lights... the internet is flooded. But there's a fun way to find new sources. Find something you like on Amazon or Lowes, then google that item and see what other stores pop up. They may be design centers, hardware stores, specialty shops, or other major retailers you just never knew of.

3. Bathroom fans are frustrating to buy. The ones that work best look the worst. Go for specs, not looks, and make sure there are nicer things in your bathrooms to look at.

5a. I would not paint or resurface a bathroom counter. But if they're really that bad, you can buy inexpensive pre-formed counters at HD/Lowes for very cheap. You should look at Ikea too, but their sizes often don't work with preexisting cabinets. Another option (but probably isn't worth it) - small counters are easy to replace with a stone remnant from a stone yard. It will still cost something - more than HD/Lowes. But if the full bath redo is years away, this is a nice upgrade.

5b. From your pics, your floors look like they're in good shape and clean, but I couldn't see much of the floor... I will say - if the tile is original, removing it will be a nightmare. You will need a hammer drill, heavy wire cutters, strong backs, and a chiropractor. Tile setters in the 60s took their work very seriously - there is probably 2" of mortar under that tile, with some crazy chicken wire type stuff embedded in it. A hammer and chisel is not going to cut it. We pulled the tile out of our powder room a couple years ago - our house was built in 1989 and clearly, the tile setter was old-school. They didn't mess around.

We put down 1000 feet of peel & stick wood look plank in our basement 5 years ago. I actually love it. It was cheap stuff from Lowes, and it looks like we paid much more. BUT. The concrete floor was very flat and smooth, and already sealed. We applied a primer, and that makes all the difference with adhesive floors. We do have a couple areas that have been exposed to water (washer leak and a Bilco door leak), but those were isolated events... I'm not sure P&S is a great idea in a bathroom. But it could be a reasonable solution for a short term replacement of the tile.

Note - if you pull up the tile, and put down a skinny layer of P&S - you may have work to do to replace the toilet. The bolts may not fit properly, the wax seal may not seat the same.

Questions you didn't ask, but I'll offer some thoughts anyway :-)

If you're thinking to replace doors with Shaker style, there are some great companies who sell custom doors for reasonable prices. The kitchen forum is the place to look for the current favorites.

And I know the beige fixtures are not so popular, but don't try painting them. The yellow I see in your pics will not work well with that dingy beige I'm imagining. But there are other nice colors that will complement the beige and make it tolerable - Maria Killam is a good source to explore colors and see if you can make that beige work in the short term.

Congratulations on your first home! Have fun decorating!

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lowe’s has decent cabinet hardware, with the added advantage of being able to return them to the store with no shipping if you don’t like it.

My exhaust fans are Braun and I’ve never had a problem, make sure you research how to size it properly. Since you’re asking about the roof hole, you’d be best to hire that.

Dont paint the counters. Look at LG HiMacs solid surface to replace them, you might be surprised by affordability. With that said, I like the retro pink sink.

For the cabinet doors, check out Barker Doors or Scherrs, you can order custom sized doors from them, the paint grade MDF are reasonably priced.

I agree with the others, start with changing the wall color, and a deep clean of the tile grout. If you want to try DIY project, you could install a molding frame around those mirrors to help them look more finished.

Good luck!

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Agree with everyone’s cautions about living with a home for a while to know what you really want and have the money to do it right. Additionally, Rustoleum is not for tile. Even professional resurfacing, done with the right products and using respirators and equipment you will never want to pay for and expertise gained from doing hundreds of bathrooms - will chip and peel. Things look fresh now. Maybe paint and get towels and curtains to add color and spend a few years reading this forum so that you learn what surface materials fit your lifestyle and which extras seem like real winners and which you can bypass. Then, as an educated consumer, you will have a much better experience.

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Can you post a picture of the exterior of your home from the front? Also the side where you will be doing the kitchen remodel?

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think, overall, you are getting sound advice from your question. Most likely, you have a lot of ideas and plans. I would recommend doing a "big picture plan", before you take on the time, work and expense of your kitchen, and all the DIY of the bathrooms.

Take a good, long look at your exterior. Will you EVER be changing windows or doors, and if so, enlarging or moving any of them?

I'm assuming since the bathrooms look like they have all original fixtures, that not much has ever been upgraded throughout the home.

Will you need to put in a new furnace & AC unit? Will you need to upgrade some of the duct work, and/or add returns?

Since the bathroom fans have never been vented out, have you inspected the attic for damage from moisture? Will you need roof repairs? New shingles? Have you looked into attic air sealing?

Is there a fireplace? What about a chimney inspection?

How's the insulation? Old plumbing need to be changed?

And codes? Once you start, you will need inspections. Will they grandfather in any small doorways, and/ or the stairs? Depends.

My husband and I bought a 6K sq ft house, built in 1965, for a "fun" retirement project. It is our 3rd house, and we had completely renovated both of the others, so NOT new to projects.

And I promise you, we have had numerous unexpected surprises and things that we "missed"!

Which happens, even in new builds.

But people commenting here (who have most likely done this before) KNOW what they're talking about.