Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_hewatt

Awkward Hallway Attached to Great Room

Holly H
3 years ago

This area was originally a linen closet that never was installed where the yellow chair is now. It gets no natural light, but there are two recessed lights above as you may be able to see. I was thinking of large mirror perhaps but am open to any other ideas. Thank you.

Comments (13)

• Holly H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bump

• Holly H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

?

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Holly, are you asking for input on what to hang on wall above the yellow chair? My understanding is that the pot lights above the chair are there because a console type cabinet/ cupboard was supposed to be built in there but wasn’t. Right? I think more info needed to offer suggestions. What’s the width of the wall space from opening to corner? Would you post a couple more pics of the space showing where the door leads to & a short from opposite end? Is that the kitchen through the opening? Does the chair serve a purpose in that spot? From the single view, it looks like the pretty red lacquer chest might be better where the yellow chair is.

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

At first glance, I would say the yellow chair doesn’t belong there. It looks awkward as the other chair has its back to it. More photos needed....

Holly H thanked Amanda Smith
  • Aneisa Ahmad
    3 years ago

Floor length mirror and some foliage

Holly H thanked Aneisa Ahmad
  • Holly H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree that the yellow chair doesn't belong there, but I have no idea what does belong there. I was also considering moving the red chest but was not sure. It is the kitchen through the opening. It was originally supposed to be a linen closet but I decided to put a counter instead. This obviously got ripped out. It measures 29 inches. The door leads to a bedroom. Actually the hallway leads to two bedrooms and a bathroom on the other side of the 29 inch wall. I will load another picture.

• Holly H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• partim
    3 years ago

Remove the yellow chair and you're done.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

It’s nice to have breathing space and all walls don’t have to be filled. I’d remove items on both side of console. Add matching framed prints on both sides of opening for a balanced look and consider re-accessorizing console. Envision below but a set of prints would be on either side, one above the other. Now you’ve created a focal wall that is simple, but interesting

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Holly, I’m pretty much agreeing with @Maureen ideas. I see a nice blue floral on left wall of red console & another floral with reds on right wall facing console. How about try moving that smaller red one on right to wall above yellow chair (which we think should be moved). if you have other smaller art that you can put with it to make an arrangement which is the same general size as blue art on left, then you’ll have the balanced look @Maureen suggests. If the empty corner is too empty, @Aneisa Ahmad suggested floral on floor - maybe an interesting red pot with Asian flair & some greenery would look good, tie into red console & not visually block the doorway.

• eastautumn
    3 years ago

Yes to a nice plant in that corner-- maybe a ficus tree or large umbrella plant.

• Holly H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, but there is no light there so plants will die.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Silk plants have come a long way! a good fake fiddle leaf fig will cost $100 - $300 depending on size and quality. But, it will never die!