Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadowandcompany

1900 folk victorian needs curb appeal help

meadowandcompany
3 years ago

hi. I'm purchasing this folk victorian. I don't have enough $$ to change anything structurally right now but I would like to bump up the curb appeal. I plan to keep the house white for now. I'd love some suggestions. I was thinking butterfly garden in the front yard. any and all ideas are welcomed. Thank you!

Comments (19)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Need something trailing to conceal that homely wall. But, as always - where are you located? This affects what will grow there.

• meadowandcompany
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Brunswick Md. I do plan to patch and paint the wall.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

I'd still have plants trail over it.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It would be good to replace the fence with one that matches the stair and porch, when you do have the funds. I do think that the fence should be kept.

I also would paint the utilitarian lower level storm door a dark color.

That sloping bed will lend itself to a butterfly garden, which would fit with the older buildings... and you would have a huge choice of plants to use. I would want to see a basic plan though, that incorporates some structure (perhaps using some stone to form a graceful tiered course through it), perennials, grasses, and perhaps low growing evergreens to form the "backbone" of the bed. I could see carpet roses along the front edge, or creeping speedwell. Most real garden centers have someone on staff that can help with design so you might consider consulting one.

I wonder if the drainage will be a factor, calling for plants that can tolerate drier conditions, because of the elevation and slope.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

Absolutely something to drape over that wall. And whatever you use in the bare area, it should require little attention because it won't be fun/easy working on that slope.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Find out if you can have trailing plants, some places don’t allow it. Start with your planned patch and paint of the wall, and either freshen or replace the fence first.

• HU-395397138
    3 years ago

I just stumbled upon this and saw my house in your photos, I live next door, so funny! Welcome to the neighborhood! These retaining walls and steep hills are a challenge for sure. If you go down to the next block (400s) there is a house with the whole front back covered in creeping phlox and it looks amazing, especially in the spring when they are all in bloom. Check it out sometime.

• mjlb
    3 years ago

Will this remain a two-family? Is the lower level door an entrance to a separate unit?

• meadowandcompany
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It will remain a two family. The door under the front porch is to laundry and an unfinished basement. Eventually I'd like to redo the deck but currently there is nothing structurally wrong with it. I do plan to paint that porch so color schemes are welcomed!

HU-395397138
    I'd love to meet you! Are you on the left or the right? I'll be there on the 13th.

• mjlb
    3 years ago

Minor suggestion, but I'd paint the porch ceiling 'haight' blue. Since the porch is well above street level, the ceiling will be quite visible, and a traditional blue is pretty. Maybe a ceiling light in a star shape, or one that is pierced to add interesting light pattern on ceiling at night. And of course, a pretty stand-out color for your front door -- any color would work the white siding. Two hanging baskets of flowers flanking the front door, and falling within the right hand bay of the porch.

Phlox sounds lovely for the sloped front garden. Or creeping jenny, or periwinkle. Definitely something low maintenance.

• Christopher CNC
    3 years ago

The wall, fence and lower section of the house need painting of course. Consider adding some actual color in the trim, not black, blue or green would be my pick. Bold is red and orange.

The slope between the wall and fence is too steep and inaccessible to garden on. It needs a no maintenance groundcover that can be a vining, creeping plant or low spreading shrub. A few taller specimen plants that rise above the groundcover can be added for more interest. A butterfly garden needs to go above the fence on hopefully flatter ground where the flowers can billow above the fence from the view below.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

“The slope between the wall and fence is too steep and inaccessible to garden on.”

That depends on how much you like gardening and how much other space you have. 😉Plenty of gardeners work on spaces like that. They don’t have the luxury of acreage and they use every inch they have.

• Sigrid
    3 years ago

I would plant some shrubs in the beds in the retaining wall. Aronia lowscape mound, some mountain or sheep laurel, Azaleas. Itea little henry. Dwarf Fothergilla.

Obviously, you need ro paint the wall and fence. The fence looks to be in bad shape, which suggests it may need replacing. I'd consider replacing with a hedge, if you want to demarcate the end of the flat part of the lawn. Aronia hedger, inkberry, bayberry, blueberry are some options. Itea. Of course, I have a lot of shade and maybe suggesting plants that need more shade than you have. Check.

I'd also reconmmend painting your trim --- or at least the window frames and door blue. Navy is a crisp look. A softer blue would give you some definition, but be easier to paint over if you later want a house with colored siding and white trim. Paint the bare wood white and the railings in your trim color.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

If you have access through your library or online, you might look at the Sept. 2020 issue of Better Homes and Gardens - there is a feature on one homeowner's plantings (with plant varieties) that ended up low maintenance with low watering needs but with the cottage or butterfly garden look. I think this would work on the slope, if it is a look that appeals to you.

Remember when you look at inspiration pictures, that you can edit and adapt to fit your site and your likes/dislikes.

• HU-395397138
    3 years ago

Sorry I never responded! We’re on the left as you face from the street.

• Debbie Downer
    3 years ago

Love that porch - being high up is a good thing in a porch. You need some kind of shrubbery with strong root system that is going to hold that slope (between picket fence and wall next to sidewalk) Or the soil will all wash away in no time at all. What zone are you in? I have no time to look up stuff now but possibly later.

In the yard between picket fence and porch - Is there room for a large substantial shrub or small ornamental tree on the right side (as your facing the house?) What is the distance from picket fence to porch?

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Any slope where soil is already in the process of slipping off is not going to be stabilized by new plantings, And in fact under circumstances where particular combinations such as a heavy rainfall episode + a liquifying clay soil are present even forest vegetation including trees of significant size is not enough to keep the soil in place.

• Christopher CNC
    3 years ago

That soil has been there since 1900, so I think we are good to go with a planting design.