Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meandmeggie

Some David Austins "retiring"

I know not all roses are produced every year, and sometimes go a long time in-between production, but is it common for them to be "retired"

Comments (92)

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    3 years ago

The blooms of Evelyn are the reason for me keeping her all these years. There were three roses that I knew I had to have when I started my rose garden: Abe, Evelyn, and Madame Isaac Pereire. MIP was miserable after 3 or 4 tries (I've lost count), and I stopped trying. Abe and Evelyn have their issues, but they still have my heart. I feel the need for a little Evelyn love-fest. You've probably seen some of these photos before.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

More Evelyn...

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• hugogurll
    3 years ago

This is Austin's way of forcing you to buy the newer varieties with a higher royalty rate. It's called greed.

• Patrick-7a-MD
    3 years ago

It is pure commercial crass-ism. Look up EVELYN at HelpMeFind Roses. The patent is expiring soon so they want to remove it completely from the market so nobody will propagate it.

I used to be insanely in love with the English Roses but over the years have had some real problems with this "class". First, I dislike the "myrrh" fragrance, and they are producing more and more roses with it. Second, too many produce blooms that shatter quickly ala HERITAGE, which makes the roses of little use in a vase. Third, the weak stems! Again, not good as cut flowers and not good in the garden either because you can't see the downward facing blooms.

EVELYN doesn't have these problems. The fragrance is one of the BEST in the entire group. Flowers LAST and the stems are stronger. And lets be real, yes she can be a frustrating primadonna (flowers do fade, etc.), but the large bloom size and old garden rose flower form doesn't get any better. Plus, she has reasonable winter hardiness and the growth habit isn't all that bad.

And for the record, BATHSHEBA and PORT SUNLIGHT aren't any better. Actually inferior IMHO.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

I was just reading in Right Rose, Right Place that Evelyn's cold hardiness isn't assured. Can anyone vouch for that? DA listed it as 5b hardy which is why I bought it, but now am worried.

3 years ago

Funny, but DA’s business practices don’t bother me at all. I don’t really like the myrrh fragrance though. Or rather it’s okay, just not what I want in a rose. Except Glamis Castle and WOH, which smell like naphthalene to me, which is revolting. I do love the nodding or “weak neck” blooms. Just like hellebores! I find that the backs of the blooms are just as important to me as the fronts and are a big factor in choosing a rose. I’m still looking for the perfect pink rose whose petal backs are the perfect shell-like look that I love. I actively look for roses that have “grace.” So “no” for Grande Dame, which has stark upright stems and a weak neck which reminds me of a hangman’s result, but “YES” for Eden whose flowers hang like bells. Maybe I’m just weird.

Diane, your photos are totally killer!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thanks, Noseo, and so are yours. Are you a professional Nose, by any chance? I am floored that you pick up the naphthalene scent. I'm not even sure about what myrrh smells like. Things either smell good or bad to me, though I'm better picking out certain bad scents. And I so wanted to work for a French perfume factory--hah. Diane

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    3 years ago

in response to Aaron, I have only been able to pull Evelyn through in zone 5 by putting her on the south side of my house in my protected zone 6 pocket. Otherwise she doesn't return from the winters, and most Austins do pretty well for me here.

Cynthia

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    3 years ago

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) I actually think the blooms that are perfectly upright are kind of weird looking. I prefer a little nod.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    3 years ago

I also like the nodding roses, they just have a softer look, makes me want to cup them in my hands and smell them.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

Re: Evelyn

I was able to get 2 on multiflora last year from allmythyme

I believe she was selling a small variety of bare root roses.

• Patrick-7a-MD
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've grown EVELYN in USDA zone 6. She handled the winters just fine. Can't comment about zone 5. As for nodding, I knew that comment was going to rile up some of the old rosarians. That is why I wrote it. Some years back this opinion was being pushed a lot on the rose forums. My way of pointing out that some do not appreciate this "trait". And for me, nodding blooms don't look graceful. Large rose shrubs with arching growth habits look graceful to my eye. Case in point is LOUISE ODIER. Big, beautiful arching shrub with strong stems.

3 years ago

Diane - no, I'm not a professional nose, I'm just hyperosmic, which is both a blessing and a curse. I was at my first wine tasting and the sommelier gave us some wines to compare. He asked us what we smelled and when he got to me I described what I smelled. He stopped, frowned, took a sniff himself and said "you smell all that?" Then he went on to describe what I was smelling and why. I didn't have the language of fragrance, I just compared it to what I knew. So sometimes a blessing. Sometimes a curse, like when I was at a talk, and the guy next to me must have had a lovely Italian dinner, with some rather aged cheese on his pasta with red sauce and some not-so-refined wine, and he must have had a problem with reflux because I could smell the acid from his stomach. My friends sitting with me said they didn't smell anything. I, too wanted to work for a perfumery at one time, but hard to get a job and most perfumes are too much for me. No, I've been a physician for the last 28 years, and sometimes it comes in handy (when I walk in a room I can smell the difference in different types of infections, and I can smell when someone's diabetes is out of control). But you can imagine when it is a detriment. I have maybe a hundred fragrance samples in my fragrance cabinet, and I can really only tolerate a few for any duration, but they are fun to sniff once in a while. I've sniffed a number of Austin roses described as "myrrh" and they can be quite different from each other to my nose, so I just assume that when they are described as "myrrh" that they are just a nonstandard rose fragrance. I haven't smelled 'Constance Spry' yet though. Maybe some day. Patrick mentions Louise Odier, and for years I wanted to smell this one described as so lovely, but there was none to sniff. I finally found one and sniffed, and ....burning plastic. I went back several times, with different flowers open and each time it was a variation of burning plastic. Maybe it's delicious in a different climate.

Oh Patrick, you are an instigator are you?! haha! Those long arching canes are my favorites also. Have you seen an enormous Belle Portugaise climbing a house, with thousands of loosely formed flowers hanging down like pink handkerchiefs? That may change your mind. Or not. I think they are amazing.

• bart bart
    3 years ago

Wow, Noseometer! I am so impressed! I myself don't have a great sense of smell, so it's really interesting and impressive to hear about you experiences. It's SO good that you can use your "super power" to help your patients!!!

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

Interesting, Noseometer. There is a Russian tv series about a detective with a very heightened sense of smell. He solves crimes using his nose. It's called The Sniffer. Has English subtitles and is a really well done show with a good actor in the main role.

Most perfumes are too much for me also.

3 years ago

Cool! I’d love to see it!

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Noseometer -- I can see how your "talent" could be both blessing and curse. How wonderful for your patients that you can be helpful to them -- though that's been thwarted if you've had to do telemedicine lately! And let's pray you don't get covid and lose your sense of smell!

Apropos of nothing -- I'm really bitter that so many people in California, including my neighbor, have already got their David Austin roses or notices this week of UPS shipments, and I got nuttin' nada, bupkus (bupkiss?)!! grr...

3 years ago

@erasmus_gw - The Sniffer is on YouTube. I'm up to the third episode. Fun show. It's a little silly that he can smell that a guy's nicotine patch is on his right arm, but his is clearly a superpower rather than just heightened sense of smell. And he doesn't get overwhelmed by strong scents. No one is wearing too much perfume so far, and no one has pets. I'm enjoying it though. Thanks.

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

Noseometer, glad you're enjoying it. I thought it was a fun show, kind of slick and modern, with good special effects . It's interesting to see cultural differences and to see some of the countryside and architecture over there. Eventually you'll see that his super nose causes him some problems in his personal life.

We've enjoyed quite a few Russian tv shows.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

Thank you @Nippstress Nebraska z5--I'm thinking what I have is own root so I'll be extra careful with her and wrap her up like she was a newborn!

and @Diane Brakefield It's really only suitable as a climber, but I think Wollerton Old Hall looks similar to Jude (but lighter), more so than the Shepherdess. Have you ever considered it?

Also--it looks like Palatine still has AUSjo (Jude the Obscure) available at https://openfoodnetwork.ca/palatine-fruit-and-roses/shop, and it's grafted. For those of us in cold climates this may be one of the few ways to get one that'll survive our winters!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Aaron, sorry I am so late in answering your question. I checked HMF photos on both The Shepherdess and Wollerton Old Hall, and I could see the similarities to Jude, but felt they were more Jude wannabees than roses I would want to add to my garden (if I had the room). In the HMF photos I looked at, both of these roses seemed to fall open more during the blooming process than Jude does. They seemed to have fewer petals, too. There's a reason Jude has all those favorite votes on HMF. So, if I had the space for more roses, I would not choose The Shepherdess or Wollerton Old Hall. Diane

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield I think it depends what one is looking for. I completely understand you not wanting Wollerton.

I don't grow Jude, but from what I understand people love it as a shrub rose that has an incredible first flush, amazing fragrance, incredible grace and scattered repeat. I've considered finding room for Jude many times. What keeps me from getting it ishearing that the repeat isn't dependable and the flowers blow fast. But my gosh, every photo of Jude I see takes my breath away!

Although Wollerton Old Hall is slightly similar looking in bloom, it's very different in the garden. For example, WOH is a vigorous climber with great repeat all season even in its first year in my garden in 2020. I'm excited to see what it will do this year. It's already over 7 ft tall and full of new growth (the most of any of my roses, all of which have started leafing out). Its blooms also last reasonably well in the vase for an Austin. As WOH is such a vigorous and productive climber, I'm okay with thr blooms being less full than Jude. They're still pretty incredible. But... if you're not looking for a vigorous climber, you most certainly would prefer Jude.

Here it is blooming away its first September, after being rescued from a nursery and planted in July. It bloomed every month last season.

This vase is from August

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Those are lovely blooms and bouquet of Wollerton and other flowers. My Jude has consistently been between 8 and 9 feet over the years (Jude just finished up his 16th year in my garden), but is totally self supporting. I don't consider Jude to be a climber. His rebloom is OK, and his blooms don't blow any faster than Brother Cadfael's next to him, or Abe Darby on the other side--just OK. I'll keep him--ha. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

So pretty! Diane does your Jude get that pumpkin yellowish color I see in the HMF from time to time? I love when Jude is apricot but am less taken with the yellow. I've already got one of WOH and two JtO coming so it's probably a moot point, but I'd love to hear your experiences! And @librarian_gardner_8b_pnw thank you for sharing your lovely pictures and experiences!! I'm very excited about getting my WOH from AllMyThyme :)

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Aaron, my Jude is mostly a pale apricotish. How's that for a description? Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

So pretty! I may have to keep one of the two I have coming then :p

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield I'll be interested to see what my WOH does this year. Your Jude photos are the ones that keep me thinking about getting it! Stunning

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thank you, librarian. I'll bet WOH starts faster and blooms more than Jude, which takes a little time to hit his stride. That was a long time ago and it's hard to remember the details. Diane

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

Looks like Evelyn might be available for preorder at Cattail Creek--I hope those who are looking for it (Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW Ashley Smith zone 5a) can find it!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

Its only $85 total. 🤯

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

Expensive, but comparable to Chamblees and it's a 3 gallon rose. And that includes shipping! I've....definitely spent more for less

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    3 years ago

Wow some of their roses are still available at DA for half the price. @Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b let me know if you spot spirit of freedom!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Incredible photos here!!! I'm getting a Jude this year! I'm not expecting much from it as Austins don't do well for me (except for Bishop's Castle)...but, I hope to smell the incredible perfume!!

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    3 years ago

@rosecanadian I'll keep my fingers crossed that your JtO does well!!!! Cause I think it's discontinued 🙁

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

it is. Palatine had some that are grafted though when I last checked!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Are the Cattail Creek roses grafted or own root, does anyone know?

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

It looks like they might do both? I was just reading the reviews at https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/8529/ and it seems like they skirt the issue online, and sell both. I'd try calling first? With some places it really depends on the rose, too.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Thanks, MagPie - I guess I'm trying it at the right time then. :) It as almost too late.

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    3 years ago

Oh, I am so tempted with Evelyn! I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to pay the price tho.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

One thing I'll note is that it's a 3 gallon rather than 1, so you'd be getting a much more mature plant. Yes it's about twice what you'd pay elsewhere for a 1 gallon, but it is bigger and has proven very difficult to find even before it was retired. Completely up to you though--just bear in mind that Chamblees charges about the same amount for 3 gallon roses so the price might not be too exorbitant (or both places are :p)

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    3 years ago

Thanks Aaron for keeping an eye out for us Evelyn seeking folks! Another garden forums member gave me some cutting fom her Evelyn (so nice!) and I think they may be taking or at least I ready hope!

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    3 years ago

Oh, I hope Evelyn becomes more available, because if ti does well in England, it doe well for us...but DA usually sells for East Coast and South. Wonder if the DA rep living in Seattle will make a small change. She said Poet's Wife is doing well for her in WA.

• amyjiang_z5
    last year

@Kimberly zone 10 so cal how is the Mme Jean rose doing in your garden this year? Do you like it?

• MyGardenCart
    last year

@amyjiang I absolutely love my Mme Jean. This year I had to give away nearly 70 of my roses, many of them very sought after and lovely roses, but I never even debated getting rid of Mme Jean!

• MyGardenCart
    last year

@amyjiang sorry for any confusion, my name has apparently changed! (it was previously listed asKimberly zone 10 so cal)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County