Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalbright82

Split level exterior remodel ideas help

dalbright82
10 years ago
We recently purchased a split level home. I'm in the long process of coming up with ideas for a more appealing exterior for the home. It currently has fading aluminum siding and some old shutters on it. I've considered stone/slate, cedar, re-painting and a variety of other options but i've had trouble finding good pics or before and after's. I'm open to adding a covered porch and other more extensive exterior features. Any help or advice would be appreciated. A bit of a challenge to up the curb appeal on a split! Thanks

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Harding Design & Construction
    10 years ago
    I think paint and landscaping would help tremendously. If you want to do it right the first time I would hire a designer and contractor located on the Houzz directory.
  • dalbright82
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, definitely. I've been having trouble coming across pics that show nice transformations of this style house. Most of the ones on here a bit fancier :).
  • PRO
    Duxborough Designs
    10 years ago
    We took this stucco monstrosity and turned it into shingle style!
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    HI -- If you search on here (Houzz )under "Modern Splitlevel House " the first one that comes up is the Arlington Residence ----- that is a favorite of many . One question -- is the living room window on the end facing the garage ? Are you or would you consider putting a big window on the front ?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Here it is. Lefty47, do you know how to load up the pix? Minimize dilemma you're on, and open a new connection to Houzz. Find your subject to post, click on it and it will open in your browser. Right click on the description in the browser dropdown, right click "copy," return to your minimized dilemma and copy it right into your text - I usually do them after I've said everything so the link won't show inside the text, only pix below it.
    Arlington Residence · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Here's one I like. Remove all the overgrown and clumpy, dated shrubbery first.
    Exterior · More Info
  • dalbright82
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the kitchen fills the space where there is the solid siding section next to the door, and it's got an open floor plan with the kitchen then dining room, then living room with windows on all the walls to a walkout with french doors. I appreciate the pics and new search terms. So many directions you can go to transform a house. I want to be sure that the interior changes i make keep with any long-term exterior plans as well. I think a new entryway will be key like the image above. Wish i could add a front window but the only redone room by the prior owner was the kitchen and they did an amazing job with it.
  • PRO
    Matilda Bos Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Hi...I would suggest an arbor from the left corner to over the front door. Covered with blooming vines it will
    take the eye away from the blank wall. remove the hedges and pine trees, and have a stone path under the arbor. If possible line up with the 2 story section, not height, just width.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Thanks deco -- my daughter has shown me several times how to do that but I always mess up . I'm only tect savvy up to a point , some day I will catch on , but thank you so much for posting that photo for me . I always seem to get my point across some how , I think .
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Have you ever had anyone transpose some of your suggested materials directly on the house to get a feel for what direction you want to go in. We provide that service . visit my idea book to see and learn more or www.ebtdesigns.com samples below.
  • dalbright82
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We hadn't considered an arbor before. Thanks! Also i appreciate the transposing suggestion. As we get a better handle on what we like it could be a great option. Thanks!
  • Lauren Martin
    9 years ago
    sarah price, how much was your remodel?
  • Sarah Howes
    9 years ago
    Sarah Price, that's an amazing upgrade, nice job! Can your please share where you live and what you paid? Thanks for sharing.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    dalbright, how extensive a face lift will the budget afford? If you are looking for "work with the structure as is" ideas or deal with some entry addition that might alter the roof line options. . . . the gables and window styles make craftsman easy, or if you like contemporary . . the existing lines can give you that with the right site walls and arbor elements . . you can easily go sort of cottage / shingle style with this too. Do you have a preference from these options so we can help more with specific inspiration images?
  • Sarah Price
    9 years ago
    Ok, I live in Bethesda Md. The price of my house now is around $950k so you can see things are a little pricey around here unfortunately. I spent 20k on the porch, 35k on the porch footings and all stone work, which includes some small walls on the front of the property around the driveway. I bought a new garage door 1k and a new entry door 1k. Then it was 6k to have the house painted, some extra trim around the windows and garage door and for them to fit the entry door. 61k total.
  • Sarah Price
    9 years ago
    More pics
  • PRO
    Olympic Lawn and Landscape Inc
    9 years ago
    New landscaping with color would add a lot of interest!
  • skibumum
    9 years ago
    I'd love to see photos of your kitchen! We are planning ours...;)