Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_714924409

please help me decorate my family room

Party Of Six
3 years ago

We recently got new carpet, couches (Yes we have two identical couches. We’re a family with 4 teenagers and their frequently visiting friends so the two large couches suit us well. They are Crate & Barrel Lounge II 2 piece sectionals in Taft Steel) and an upholstered coffee table for our family room, so those items need to stay. The paint color is SW Balanced Beige, wall color needs to stay the same as well. I am open to making changes everywhere else. I know I definitely need a new tv stand for our large 75” screen tv, (the space between the two windows where the tv is 82”). Room measures 20’x20’ with vaulted ceilings. Thoughts.... Do I HAVE to have curtains? I’m not totally against them, but I would need 10 panels so in order to get nice ones the cost will add up quickly.... And on that note, I do kind of like the clean look of no curtains anyway so I’m not sure what to do there. Pretty sure I need to change the things on the wall behind the couches, and the mantel decor needs some love as well. The oversized whitish/grey chair is part of our old set, I’m willing to keep it, remove it, or replace it. The computer can stay or go as well. Thank you for taking a look!

Comments (81)

• Lisa T
    3 years ago

Another question, and then I'll leave you alone. lol.
    This is the photo shopped picture with art suggestion for your wall from earlier in this thread, but it's the end table on the left I'm wondering about. Is that your table or was it photo shopped? If it's yours, could you bring it back into the room and put it on the right side of your sofa? That makes your end tables of similar length but not too matchy matchy.
    Thoughts on that?

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You’re fine! I appreciate your feedback. The little end table by the window couch is just a silly c-shaped table. It’s mostly just back there to place drinks on. It’s nothing too pretty to look at so I don’t think it will look right next to the chair, but I’ll give it a shot. I’m pretty set on getting a new end table next to the large wall couch, I really want to move away from the dark wood, and for that reason I don’t think I should bother bringing the other one back in, hubby helped me carry it upstairs already :/ Do you think doing an identical light cabinet is indeed too matchy matchy?? Here’s a photo of another one I had in mind.

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lamp and end table swap

• Lisa T
    3 years ago

I think a table next to the chair looks good, even if it's not that table.
    I like the standing lamp in the new spot.
    No, I don't think two end tables that match is bad, but I'm not a pro, just living vicariously with your room. I think it's a great room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Wait, back up. Did anyone consider a different location for the TV????? What about the big wall?? I hate the way all the furniture is pushed up against the wall. This is a grand room and deserves a layout equally as grand.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In large room like this SCALE OF ITEMS IS IMPORTANT!!! The fireplace is the focal point and deserves larger items to complement the high ceiling and the scale of the surround.

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beverly- someone earlier in the thread did suggest moving the tv where you suggested. I poo-pood the idea because I’m afraid I’d hate seeing behind the tv as you enter the room. However, your drawing does have me intrigued. I’ll give it a shot! Lucky for you guys rearranging furniture happens to be one of my favorite hobbies, much to my family’s dismay. In the end they just stand back, shrug their shoulders and go with it. Ha! Gimme a few minutes, I’ll start shoving furniture around and be back soon with pics. Thanks for the feedback!

• bowser24
    3 years ago

I love Beverlys idea. Love the layout of the sofas. Move all the small stuff out of the room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I don't blame you for not wanting to see behind the TV. I have noticed the TVs getting flatter and more shallow.

There are options so you don't have to recess the TV. It can be painted out with the wall.

https://ahomefordesign.com/Blogpost/uuvs/Hide-the-cables-behind-a-wall-mounted-TV

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don’t think I’m a fan of this layout. I just lose too much floor space, which is something we use quit often with our large family and dog. Often there are people using our open floor slumbering, dancing, playing with the dog, etc.. Not to mention this new layout lacks great tv viewing for six plus people. I get the concept, I really do, but in person it honestly wouldn’t flow for us. I’m open to feedback though, that’s why I’m here!

• Meg Davis
    3 years ago

What an awesome big family room you have! Because it’s so big, I think it would help to have a rug in the center of the room to ground the gathering space. As it is, it feels like there are lots of little floating pieces. Your big couches help to bring some gravity to the space as well.

Also, I’d consider checking out local estate sales to see if you can find any big pieces of art that you like for a good price. Antique stores May be another option. You will get much nicer art this way than if you buy a mass-produced print from an online shop. EBTH and Chairish are also good online options for art.

Last thought—you currently have a really muted palette. This is fine and relaxing! But if you want to play with pattern and color, you could think about doing so in a noncommittal way by adding pillows and blankets. If you do this, I’d focus on quality over quantity—one nice wool blanket could be better than three polyester ones (unless you’ll all be fighting over it or it will become the dog’s blanket!!).

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

love the new layout, it makes so much more sense than the previous one. to me, with your furniture pieces, its the best way to lay it out. i would suggest living with it for a while and see how everyone adapts? you have beautiful pieces.

• Meg Davis
    3 years ago

Also, Sony sells an awesome frame tv that looks like art when it’s off, which would keep you from having to hide the tv at all. They’re kind of pricey IMO, but maybe an option for you!

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/the-frame/highlights/

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

question for you? how do you use the coffee table? wondering if you could put it under one of the windows on the fireplace wall and use it as a bench? I ask because you could instead bring in small tables and use them as a place to put drinks instead of the coffee table as you have it. it would allow for more room between the two sofas?

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Funny as I’m sitting here this layout is quickly growing on me. I just need a few family members to come home and give me their opinions.

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Meg- I DEFINITELY need to add color with pillows and throws. I love my neutrals, but some color here and there would be great. And I’ve seen those new Sony TVs, I would love to get one in the future. However we just purchased this tv a couple of months ago so it’s staying for now.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

if you keep the layout, I would recommend getting a media with bookcase unit to put on the long wall, the tv would be hidden in the unit and would provide storage. it will help balance out the fireplace wall.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Easy enough to slide the sofas to try it out. I know that people can be very particular about how they view TV. Me, I like to not sit but recline as often as possible.

This layout offers you the option of board games and face-to-face conversation. Just a thought.

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well my 13 yo son came home and his response was “I don’t care”. Lol. We will see what my husband says. He usually just goes with the flow. My three daughters will be the ones with the opinions! Love the bookcase tv unit idea. I’m planning to buy a new tv stand anyway so that will extend my search if I stick with this layout. Thanks again guys! I’m having fun :)

• Lisa T
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness Party of Six, I love this arrangement!! Here's the beauty of this room, on those occasions when the room is full of teenagers and they want to dance or have slumber parties, push the sofas back and when they go home, bring them back together for a more cozy arrangement.
    I love when the Pro's get involved because they always see something amateurs like me don't.
    Love that you were headed in the right direction with your mantle, now you know it just needs larger scale.
    You'll figure out a good way to hide cords, even if it's using that beautiful plant you had in the room to hide them.
    I think this is the winner.:)

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I must say I am so happy with this new layout! The whole family agrees!! I still have some tweaking to do as far as decorating goes. I’m now planning to do my photo/art ledges on the wall between the two windows where the tv once was. I’m going to think a little bit about the tv stand, I know I need a larger one as the current one isn’t long enough. I think I would prefer another console. I’ll add a pic of one I’ve been admiring for a few days, but it’s currently out of stock. I placed a plant next to the tv to “hide” the back of the tv, but honestly when entering the room your eyes are drawn to first the furniture and fireplace so it’s not as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be.

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tv console.

• bowser24
    3 years ago

I agree with the commenters regarding getting a rug plus pillows and blankets. Can you move the ottoman somewhere else? Try a couple of round tables that are easily portable in the middle. You need some different shapes in the room.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

love the idea of a long console for your TV. how long is that wall... wondering if 76in is long enough of a console for the wall? you could make an art collage around the tv on the wall, something like this? open and airy and helps fill the long wall.

• bowser24
    3 years ago

Picture Beverly’s last design board but remove the center ottoman in favor of a set of 3 round nesting tables.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

was just playing with your room. added a few pieces and some pillows. a chandelier would be stunning in your room.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

just showing a few living rooms with chandeliers. you have the perfect attributes in your room to do one....large room, high ceiling.

East Valley Meditteranean Estate · More Info

Medina | Custom Home · More Info

Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · More Info

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

just looking at your room some more and specifically the desk. cant tell how much room is behind the sofa that is positioned in front of the two windows, but wondering if the desk could go between the two windows? may not be enough room, but thought I would ask. does the desk get a lot of use in the room?

• justcallmepool
    3 years ago

Oh man, what a great room! I love the new layout as well. Curious if you tried swapping the sofas so the chaise parts are closer to the tv? Then you could use your ottoman in front of the fireplace or even that smaller chair you tried earlier. Or maybe just scoot the sofas closer to the tv and you could add that small chair next to the fireplace & corner window.

My kids are still small but we also have 2 sofas and a chair in our living room, with no coffee table. I have end tables and a sofa table behind one of them, where we place drinks, etc. We just like having the open floor space more! So we make it work.

Is your tv on a swivel mount so you can move it some to view from the kitchen?

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beverly- I like the mock-up with the entertainment center wall unit, I’m definitely leaning in that direction. The upholstered coffee table/ottoman is new and I really like it so I’m not planning to swap that out. Theresa I LOVE the idea of a chandelier, I’ll have to continue to work on convincing my husband the ceiling fan isn’t used as often as he thinks (it really isn’t). Also, fitting the computer back into the room is not important to me as my oldest is getting ready to move out and we will be turning her room back into the office. Pool living, it’s actually not important to me to figure a way to add the chair back to the room either- it was mostly for looks. I’ll give swapping the couches some thought, but I gotta say it has been very comfortable having my feet up on the chaise by the fireplace with coffee this morning ;)

• jck910
    3 years ago

My goodness back to my original suggestion of layout. Is it working?

• justcallmepool
    3 years ago

Party, it sounds like it's working for you! I can totally see how legs up with coffee by the fireplace would be lovely. :)

I just mentioned the chair in case you need some additional seating for guests. It could be in the corner-ish by the tv now as well. or maybe back where the plant is with a little side table. Or not at all if you don't need or want it!

I think you could remove a couple items on the mantel. I like the mirror (although it could be taller/bigger), the vase with stems, and maybe one other item layered in front of the vase. 3 is enough imo.

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, jck910, I should have listened to you! You were right. It’s working great. Looks so much better than I could have imagined. Surprisingly the whole family agrees.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

You're welcome.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

Have you considered changing out the fireplace surround, either via decorative tiles, or a more transitional style?

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

Also, I think having a faux beam added to the ceiling would bring some character to the space, and you can look for light fixtures that have fans, like the examples here:

• jck910
    3 years ago

Glad you are happy it is a lovely room

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

Another trick to modernize a traditional detail, is to paint the window sashes and muntins a contrasting color to the jambs/casing.

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone! Thank you again Beverly for taking the time to do mock-ups, that is definitely what pushed me to actually move the couches. I am still very happy with this new set up, it just gave the room a whole new life! I brought the couches slightly closer together than I think they were in my last photo. I’ve been playing with decorating items, throw blanket, pillows, etc....things that I already had in my ridiculous stockpile. I bought a new mirror, this one is larger- you guys were right about that too! Ordered some creamy white (neutral...shocker) curtains, they should be here later next week. My husband and I are planning to work on the photo ledges to go on the wall between the two windows today.

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Adalisa- thank you for the ideas! Redoing the boring fireplace surround will likely be something we will do in the future, we just have too many other more pressing projects elsewhere in our house. If I do get a chandelier for the room I think I would prefer one without a fan, I really love the oversized ones in Theres’s examples. I just wish great looking lighting wasn’t so pricey!..... :/

• kodiac23
    3 years ago

Looking great. I think Neutral drapes is the way to go. If the ones you ordered don’t work, try half priced drapes. The have some faux linens that are lined that are very reasonable.

i think a larger tray on the ottoman is needed. I love neutrals with texture, so the red throw doesn’t work for me. pillows look good too- i would lose the matching couch pillow. larger mirror looks much better. Great job!!!!

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree about the throw blanket and a larger tray. Thank you!

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

Hi Party Of Six! I just read through your post and love the changes to your room. Your mantel area reminds me of my own with the round mirror and narrow mantel. I thought I'd post a picture of how we did ours. Maybe it will give you some further ideas for you.
    Can't wait to see how your room develops!

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Your mantle looks great! I love the leaning artwork. Thank you for the idea!

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

looking great party of six!!! the room is looking more homey with the additions. the larger mirror looks better for sure. because you have such a large room, accessories need to be large too. as an example, the tray on the ottoman as was mentioned and even the items you have on the sofa table. you may not have one, but you could probably go with a longer one too. I would consider two large table lamps for the table and you may not need much more than that for the table, thinking too once you put your wall hangings up on that wall you won't need much on the table except the two large lamps.. do you have by chance larger pair of lamps in the house just to see? the other items I think are too small. one other idea... have you considered new down inserts for your pillows, you can get packs of 2 on Amazon for reasonable prices. get one size larger than your pillow size and they will help give them plumpness. I would also get a couple large pillows, like 24in x 24in, again bigger is better in your room. down inserts will make a big difference for not a lot of money. cant wait to see more!

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

just to show a couple rooms with vaulted ceilings and large lamps on a sofa table to show importance of scale.

02 · More Info

Dogwood Remodel · More Info

• Party Of Six
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all the tips Theresa! What size lamps do you suggest? My existing lamps are 25” tall. I do have a pair of 30” lamps that I donated to an Airbnb that we own- I can easily bring them back home. I’ll attach a pic. Or do I need to go even taller?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I would go even taller and get one with a substantial base, not glass/see through, so it gives more weight... i would probably go like 34in to 36in, something like these...

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

... wondering if you have a price point in mind for the chandelier? heres one for under $500?