Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anagurka1

Need Help Identifying This Style of Furniture

anagurka1
3 years ago

Hi All,

Can someone tell me what this style of furniture is called? The pulls used to be gold. There's a gentle curve to the top two thirds of the dresser (i.e., the upper sets of drawers).

It's 52" wide, 32" high, and 19" deep, in case the dimensions help to pinpoint the time period.

I can post more photos of this piece and of some others in the set if it'd help.

Thank you!

Comments (17)

• Anne Duke
    3 years ago

Look for a manufacturer label or imprint in a drawer or on the back. That will help pinpoint when it was made and be a clue to what style. Looks to be veneer.

• lizziesma
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had this in my 50-60’s era bedroom...cheap furniture then...don’t know about now. Sorry to be so blunt.

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

My parents bought very similar furniture when they were first married in 1954. Not sure what it's called...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Before imports from China, this type of furniture was sold at inner-city inexpensive furniture stores that were more interested in finance than furniture. My grandfather was a warehouse clerk for the store and I saw this furniture in my grandparent's home for decades in the 50-60s. It is wood but has no discernable value.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

I was thinking mid 50’s - early 60’s too, it looks familiar to me so I’m sure someone in my family had this bedroom set. Your piece looks in great condition.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

I googled images for 1950’s veneer bedroom sets - this looks la lot like your piece- so early 60’s. Now I remember who had this stuff- my parents ! Theirs was a blonde finish color. See link below

1961 vintage mid century bedroom set

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

KM that furniture you linked to had a veneer. The dresser posted had a finish that was mostly composed of paint with a contrasting airbrushed translucent stain to make the furniture appear to be more than it was.

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    3 years ago

It's made like manufactured according to space and looking fine but don't know exact style name. And, i think we can call it self style dresser.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

I don't know how cheap it was back in the days but everything I see that was made in the 50s was of good quality and workmanship was superb in comparison to what you buy today with a price tag through the roof and it falls apart as you unpacking.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

I hope that Beth weighs in on this one.... She could show you how to refresh this piece with color! Does a fabulous job of reinventing furniture from this era in new and exciting ways!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

GN Builders, not everything old is good. There were price points back in the 50's for furniture just like now. These wood pieces were often stapled together. The wood was just a bit better than balsa wood. These pieces didn't stay together to make it to vintage status.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

@anagurka1 - where are you? I think you should post more pictures to address the theories posted in reply to you. Please describe the finish on this piece - is it painted, is it the original finish? Is it a shiny finish & can you tell if it’s a veneer or purely painted on wood finish?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

KW she just wanted to know what the style was. That's it.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner - I do understand her question. I’m not in full agreement with your assessment of this piece - its value & the finish. I’m basing that on lookups for both value & finish. OP said she has more of the set & just curious to see. I agree it never was high end furniture & likely late 50’s ear.y 60’s era.

• Connie Stackhouse
    3 years ago

It looks a lot like the furniture I got for my 10th birthday in 1956. Now it is in a bedroom at our summer cottage. It is veneer, but it has held up well.

My parents had vary traditional Queen Anne cherry, but I wanted something modern. This was modern style at the time. It was lower end furniture sold by a higher end department store, Strawbridge & Clothier in Philadelphia.

• anagurka1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for responding. Your comments will point me in the right direction and the 50’s – 60’s era sounds right. The furniture is a hand-me-down set which we never really liked.* We finally bought new furniture and now need to get rid of this set. If we can’t find a taker I plan to list it on Facebook Marketplace, but wanted to be accurate in my description.

* Hubby bought his first home in the mid-80’s. This set belonged to the previous owners, who were elderly.

To KW: The finish is shiny and does not appear to be painted.

General FYI: I cannot find any markings or manufacturer name. There are some numbers stenciled on the backs of a couple of pieces, but no specific name.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

@anagurka1 - thanks for updating us! From my brief google search for images, it appears there is a market for this specific furniture type so you should have success with selling- especially a full set in good condition.