Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaps01

Desperately seeking advice on replacement windows

shaps
3 years ago

I would greatly appreciate some much needed advice on replacement windows. I have been reading everything I can here on windows for about a year and a half. There is so much helpful info here from professionals & homeowners but and the more I read, the more confused I get!

I need to replace the windows in my home (11 windows and 1 sliding glass door). I currently have the original aluminum slider windows. I would like brown or bronze exterior and wood or wood "look" interior. Sliders or casement would look best. I like the look of casements but the house is a split entry and lower level windows in front are ground level so casements would not work well there. I would mix sliders downstairs and casements up as long as the outsides match.

I doubt I'll be in the house more than 10 years so, although I want good windows, I'm not worried about 20 years down the road.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA & the windows I am considering are:

1. Sunrise "sunrise" sliders (I think it may also be called standard; not the Essentials) brown exterior, maple look interior. I would be purchasing them from a local window/door outlet and they would install. I have used them in the past for doors and was satisfied with my purchase but my contractor installed.

2. Marvin Elevate gliders (bronze exterior, pine interior). I would purchase these from a builder supply place. These are the windows I think I can combine casements and sliders. I was also looking at using white interior rather than wood for the basement level windows (would look better there and save some money) but would that be the ultrex/ultrex windows that do not seem to be as good as the wood/ultrex?

Their installation is a lot more expensive so I would use my contractor to install. He's very good and I am confident in his installation but he will probably retire in 5 years or so. I've heard Marvin's customer service is very good but should I worry that in the case of any problems Marvin would call it a contractor issue?

3. Windsor Pinnacle bronze exterior, pine interior sliders from same dealer as the Sunrise windows. I know these are unpopular in this forum but I left it on the list because it's an affordable option for the look I want and the dealer will install for a very reasonable price.

4. Okna 500. I got a price on these from a window place about a year and a half ago. They did not seem to have good options for color combinations. They also sell Softlite. I don't think I can see either of these windows in their showroom but they bring small samples to the house. I will get prices on the Oknas and Softlite but they gives you a much better price if you commit when they give their pitch or shortly thereafter so I won't have them come out until I'm pretty sure about what I want.

I very much appreciate all the helpful info in this forum & thanks in advance for any advice or opinions!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

Any of the vinyl windows listed should be able to be painted whatever exterior color you want. The 500 series from Okna will NOT have any interior laminate options so you will have to go up to the 800 series to get the laminate options if you decided to go that route.

Nothing is going to look more wood like than the Elevate in this case so, if that interior feel is at the core of what you want, you are likely going to land that that option.

shaps thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Windows on Washington!

It's taken a while to get back here but I have finally decided on the wood interior. You're right. After I went to both showrooms on the same day, the Sunrise wood look did not look as good to me. Since my original post I've also been looking at Kolbe Forgents.

I have a few more questions and would greatly appreciate any and all advice!

I am leaning toward the Marvin Elevates gliders (& Essentials in the basement) but have to order by the end of the week to avoid the price increase. I haven't been able to see an actual sliding window in the Forgents, just a double hung.

(7 upstairs windows wood interior, 11 basement level windows white, 1 white sliding glass door basement level)

Kolbe Forgents (factory stained) $7741 (11 windows & sliding glass door) tax included, uninstalled

Marvin Elevates (bare wood) $7300 (11 windows & sliding glass door) tax included, would be stained by contractor

My questions:

1. Does anyone have any input or recommendations between the Forget or Elevant windows?

I am specifically concerned with the quality of customer service.

Also I would prefer a narrower sash with more window area.

Both are reputable dealers and the install would be done by my contractor.

2. I've read conflicting opinions on the differences between Elevates and Essentials. I was planning on Essentials downstairs because it's basement level (partially above ground) and I'm not doing wood trim down there so white works best. If the quality is the same I thought the Essentials would be better only because they would be less maintenance. Are they really the same quality except for the layer of wood on the Elevates?

3. The sliding glass door (basement level) does not have to be the same brand as the windows. I'm more concerned with quality. There is a below grade patio outside the sliding glass door so I guess I would want a sloped sill. There is a Sunrise dealer nearby & the price for a Sunrise basic sliding door (not Essential) is $2,133. Marvin Essential is $1,373. I've read that the Sunrise is a very good door but that's about all I know. I'm flexible on any brand of door (doesn't have to be any of these 3) as long as I can get a bronze exterior.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

• millworkman
    3 years ago

For $500 to get the interior factory finished I would use the Forgents all day. Kolbe and Marvin are both quality stand up companies in my opinion.

• shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks millworkman. The dealer is 5 minutes from me so that's a bonus! My only reservation is that the only Forgents I've only been able to see are the double hungs and I've heard that their sashes are considerably thicker. The DHs I saw were black & kind of hard to tell visually.

• shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, the painter who would be staining the Marvins for me won't charge me any more than that for anyway. He's staining the new trim I'm adding and he is the best in the area. I do like the idea of a factory finish though in case of any kind of issue down the road.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

I’d still go factory finish . Sashes , hardware, and weatherstripping needs to be removed to do a good job. Windows would need to be left open. I’d only have your painter do it if you need a custom color. I would prefer them stained before installation Even if the painter did them. The Forgent appears to have thicker frames and sashes.

• shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks toddinmn! They were going to be stained pre-install. We custom stained new baseboards and doors a year or two ago and I'm having the trim stained to match. I was planning on having the all stained at the same time. However, it looks like (from the very small sample I could see in the dark corner of the showroom) Kolbe's wheat sample will be fine and I do agree that that's the best option. I just haven't seen as much info on the Forgents. I appreciate your input. That would be one less thing for me to fret over!

• shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Does anyone have recommendations on Forgent, Marvin Essential, Sunrise (or any other) sliding glass doors? I've looked at those 3 and they all seem fine to me but I don't know much about doors. I have had some water come in under the door in the past (3 times in 25 years) and will be having drainage put in the patio. Thanks in advance!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

I’d stick with same brand as the windows. Forgent Is fairly new and not a lot of feed back on those.

• shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great, thanks very much for your help. I did see and operate the Forgent door and I liked it but I'm as far from an expert as you can be!

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"and I liked it but I'm as far from an expert as you can be!"

That may be but you were smart enough to ask rather than accept a salesmen's word on the products.

• shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don't know if I'm smart...more like terrified of making a mistake! I'm grateful for all of the expert advice. here

• shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kolbe is the winner! After my contractor did an exact measure today Marvin is out. The narrowest Elevate slider is 35.5" and I have some that are a bit smaller. Thankfully the Kolbes will work and I had pretty much decided to go with them anyway.

Thanks to all for sharing your expert opinions!

• millworkman
    3 years ago

You're welcome. Please come back with your experience and pictures of the finished product.

• shaps
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I sure will. It will probably 3 months or so before they're installed but I'll post pics. I think I'm finally moving from terrified to excited now!

• shaps
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thought I'd post an update on my window progress. I went with Kolbe Forgets (Sliders; Glastra/Wood option). The windows seem to be well made and they are very nice but I have issues that I did not expect.

1. I did not realize that when I chose wood interior that the inside frame would still be white (exterior is bronze).

2. For some reason, the windows come with trim on the bottom and right side only. I guess these are casing stops. I have no idea who would want trim pieces on only 2 sides of their windows. Kolbe told me that's the way they come. That make absolutely no sense to me.

3. My sliding glass door arrived with only the stationary panel, not the sliding panel. Now that will take a while because the interior is stained wood.

4. Received one window that was not notched to slide so it's very hard to open & close. The salesman did ask Kolbe to replace that one.

All in all, they are pretty and substantial windows but I am really disappointed in the above issues. It may be partly my fault but I would never have expected to see bronze Glastra, white Glastra and wood on my windows from the inside. The Kolbes I've seen in showrooms don't look anything like that. This was my first experience ordering windows but I looked around and researched for 2 years. I think Kolbe could do a much better job with the information in their literature.

Thanks again to everyone here for all of your help & feedback!