Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_beth75

Furniture placement and design help needed please.

Beth Beth
3 years ago

I am struggling with furniture placement in my awkwardly shaped great room. Attached are the rough measurements and photos of the room. I’ve moved the furniture around several times. The corner fireplace is what is throwing me off.

The TV over the couch is not staying there. It will either be removed from the room or put over the fireplace ( yes I know that is a design No No) . The tv console used to sit on that wall and the 2 couches faced each other perpendicular to that wall. That worked fine but the couch is so tall it blocked the light from the bank of windows. I also have another matching chair to the one shown but the current layout is always with 2 chairs. Ignore the rug. We were testing it and it obviously is not the right size.

Couches are 84Lx36DX39H arm height is 25 and seat height is 19
Prefer to keep couches.
Can replace chair with 1 or 2 smaller chairs
Can replace console if needed
Can replace side tables
-Suggestions for furniture layout
-Suggestions for size of coffee table and side tables.

Comments (16)

• Beth Beth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

More photos of the room

• Beth Beth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If nobody has specific suggestions do you have a recommendation for an online design service that might be helpful for these types of questions ? Havenly, mossy, other ?

• jck910
    3 years ago

I think the area is too small for 2 couches. 1 chair and 1 sofa. Move the sofa that is facing the TV back a foot, pull rug towards it so the the front legs are on it

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

Is that just an opened area where the dog artwork is - or - does it go to a room? If it's just an open area, can the TV wall go back that far to make the room larger.

• Beth Beth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No it is an alcove entrance into the master.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Your TV is in the right spot; it just needs the credenza back under it. Have you tried the sofas in an "L" with the one facing the TV and the other facing the window? Pull the one sofa back so its back is perp to the end of your curtain rod. You may be crowding the island seating, but you could switch the upholstered bar chairs for smaller stools that slip under the counter. No rug until you get the layout right. Will the two chairs you have work in the master bedroom? Your end table is too short for any of your seating. Should arrive 1" above or below the arm. It is a bit rustic for the style you have here. I would hang the dog picture on the stairwell wall, centered 5' above the floor. It gives the visual appearance of being jammed in between the doorway to that alcove. Something smaller would work better there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You do NOT have space for two sofas, ............UNLESS below:. ut a shallow console in the window, add a tufted 36 inch pouf. the chair is out, and get the credenza back under the tv. You need lighting : ) and a coffee table. READY made rug and close enough? 12 x 14.. Best at 13 x 16 and you can create that from broadloom.

1/4 inch to a foot........

• Andrew Willson
    3 years ago

I suggest you 2 couches is good when it is Front of your TV Because Couch below of TV see like not good. If talking with each other then it see like good but watching Tv is not good. So change it.

• Beth Beth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone. A few questions, comments:

• I’m willing to get rid of the TV to make the 2 couches facing each other work. I can also scoot the other couch back some more. The chair(s) can go.
      @Jan Moyer never thought of a rug that large. Do they do this at a carpet store ?
      Agree on the rustic nature of the end table. It can go too.
  • shirlpp
    3 years ago

Are you going to follow Jan Moyer's layout suggestion - it's a good one, or, are you going to leave the two sofas facing one another and move the TV?

Does the TV fit where the credenza is now located?

Measure out the rug suggested with blue tape.

• stiley
    3 years ago

Pretty space that will only get better with tweaking! I agree with Jan's suggestion. The couch on the wall beside the fireplace doesn't look right--too crowded. I understand the desire for that symmetry with them facing each other, but even if you get rid of the TV, having a couch there just doesn't work. We have a similar layout in our living room--those corner fireplaces make furniture placement difficult! After eight years and trying many different layouts, we have settled on a plan similar to Jan's.

RugsUSA.com has some oversized rugs, and here's one I found on Etsy after a quick search; I think the room could benefit from something vintage/antique since your other things look new: https://www.etsy.com/listing/858351833/13-x-16-contemporary-turkish-oushak-rug?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=13+x+16+rug&ref=sr_gallery-1-25&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1 

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

GET RID OF THE TV ....TO where?

You watch tv or you do not. You have another spot to watch, or you don't ........

Function drives layouts.

As to rug? Yes........Broadloom is basically AREA rug driven these days. .......edge to edge is now below that in terms of selection. Yes, you can have pattern......anf a wonderful selection with a cuty and bound broadloom., fabulous textures also abound.

• cdiblik
    3 years ago

I would keep the tv where it is and put a media console under it. I would remove the couch under it entirely. I would replace one chair near window with two chairs and table in middle. There is too much furniture in the room now. Another alternative is to do an L-shape sectional where short L is on side of window and longer side facing tv. I would not put tv over fireplace not because of any design reason but your neck will 'NOT' thank you. It will create another problem for you. :) I would keep rug, etc. Just simplify. 1) get media console 2) replace single chair with two matching chairs with table in middle 3) get rid of one of the couches.

Good luck.

• Beth Beth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jan Moyer: we have a media room and a TV in our office so it could be removed entirely from this room if we have to. Or put smaller over fireplace.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

If you like to watch TV while having your casual meals, hang a smaller one in the breakfast nook that can be adjusted to be seen from the kitchen/bar as well. Leave the living area as a calm and relaxing conversation area for entertaining guests.

• Felix Pradas
    3 years ago

Beautiful sofas. however, the room would have work out better if you had gotten three Two cushion sofas. or two two cushion and one love seat. that way you could have established a C arrangement. of course, after taking down the tv.