Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_dunn2341

Please help me with a paint palette for new mountain home

Melissa Dunn
3 years ago

Hello! We purchased a large rustic-transitional style home.

I need help modernizing it with a new paint palette, furniture, lighting, etc. For the purposes of this discussion, I think I need to start with paint and maybe some accent wallpaper. I love the idea of wallpaper with ferns, possibly on a wall or two in the foyer.

None of the furniture or the decor is mine - these photos were taken at the inspection (we move in in a few weeks).

My style in my previous home in the Boston area was "beach chic" and decorating it was super easy for me because I love the beach and all of the colors that go with it... there was literally coral in the fireplace - ha!

My new home is in the White Mountains of NH, so it's totally different and I don't think I can get away with beach chic.

The views are spectacular (mountains) and it's in the middle of a lot of nature.

I love clear, calm colors - nothing too warm or too "muddy." I am attaching the palette of my previous home, to give you an idea of my favorites.

I would greatly, greatly appreciate any palette suggestions - and honestly any other suggestions you have! It's a free for all!

Also, we are replacing all of the red carpet with the walnut flooring that is in much of the home.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

An eDesigner who can render would be a good fit for your project.

I know the designers in this group stay updated on the latest training, tech and trends. https://edesigntribe.com/

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, @Lori A. Sawaya - I have been trying to book a color expert here where I am located, but I can't seem to get ahold of anyone. I think the entire valley is remodeling.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

Yeah, it's been crazy. I'm booked til the middle of May. Mostly on site and we're having issues getting certain grades of paint. Didn't see that one comin' !

Here's another list of designers who I'm 99% are taking new clients. https://campchroma.com/certified-color-strategists/

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Why not live there for a while? No pastels for this home. That's not a coastal palette, that's an Easter Egg Party.

If you start wallpaper in the foyer, where will it end?

Maybe mural wallpaper for the scale of the foyer.

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Should have clarified the Easter egg colors were in my three little girls’ rooms and their playroom.

Palette cricicisms aside, I wanted to show the colors that make my family and me feel good. This was a big move (new state! new school! during a pandemic!) for our girls and they asked specifically for the same paint, which of course, doesn’t “fit” but maybe we can find a sort of decorative compromise....

(I’m also an acrylic painter. A bright one. I love my colors!)

Living in the house before painting really isn’t feasible for a bunch of reasons so hoping to get it at least mostly right before we head in there.

I was thinking wallpaper on the wall to the left of the stairs going up. Good point on the scale. Not sure. It is tricky because there are lots of walls and angles.

I love the moody jungle wallpaper example you show, Beverly!

• Jean
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What a great project! Are you planning any changes other than furniture/paint/wallpaper?

Asking because there appear to be multiple flooring choices...are you planning on changing them? Do you like the fireplace? Some areas seem rustic and some seem not-at-all...

Do you know if the beams are load bearing or just decorative, sitting on the posts along the sides?

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Agreed there is a lot going on! The house was owned and lived in by the builder. We are getting rid of the red carpet and replacing with the same walnut flooring that you see.

The fireplace is... interesting. It looks like it was supposed to be below the tv and then they changed their minds and threw it in next to it. So, long term we will probably put it back to its original location.

Beams... I’m not sure! But I don’t hate them...?

Also, there is another 2200 square feet of unfinished space that we will be finishing in thr lower level. The house is about 6000 square feet total. Lots of decisions to make, which is why I need help. 🤣

See many pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/melissaswhimsy/6F5q27

• Jean
    3 years ago

Do you like the rustic-ish unfinished wood trim? The parts that look bolted together ?

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jean, I see what you’re saying... the bolted beams add rustic ness that is a little over the top. I don’t hate them... but yeah they’re kindof unnecessary!

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup this home is about 3x larger than our previous home so we will need a fair amount of new furniture.

Your idea on a nature-inspired palette is really helpful. And the light in the house varies A LOT. So I think there will be a ton of paint samples thrown up on the walls to figure out what works with the light.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Paint samples? Directly on wall is not optimal because the existing colour will throw off the new colour. My suggestion: get Samplize (once you've narrowed it down to less than a handful of contenders) or paint dollar store art canvases that you can prop up on different walls (and move to different rooms).

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

With the exception of the great room and kitchen where the bolted on wood trim and beams seem to be an addition the builder was experimenting with, you have pretty traditional looking architecture. The baseboards, trim and crown are standard builder's white, even in the rooms with the added wood. How high are the ceilings in the rooms/areas that aren't vaulted? I get the impression they're not exceptionally high. Since you're an artist who loves color, why not make the home a white background for your colorful art? Adding color via rugs, upholstery, drapes and accessories could take you where you'd like to be. I am not a fan of wallpaper, and tropical prints don't suit a mountain home at all, IMO. Just some ideas below.

Family room

Family Room · More Info

Teen's room

Showhouse Bedroom for Teen Girl · More Info

Office/reading nook

Black And White Interior Design · More Info

Guest room

Fox 1 · More Info

• ginatay124
    3 years ago

Is this your art? I love the idea of using white paint throughout and building the rest of your palette from your paintings:

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste, thank you - I do paint and my art is here: melissapaints.com - but my pantings are on the smaller side and the house ultimately (with the finished lower level) will be about 6000 square feet - so they won't fill up all walls. As for the wallpaper, there are a ton of beautiful ferns native to the area. One of my favorite things about living here is watching the ferns unfurl in spring into lush and primitive vegetation - which is why I kindof want some on my walls. :)

The living room ceilings are vaulted as is the entry way. The master bedroom ceiling is also quite high but the kitchen and other bedrooms/bathrooms are probably a standard height. We are finishing the lower level as well and I think those ceilings are about 9-10'.

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste, I forgot to answer - the living room ceilings are vaulted as is the entry way. The master bedroom ceiling is also quite high. We are finishing the lower level as well and I think those ceilings are about 9-10'

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I prefer accent walls be those with no redeeming architectural interest. That would eliminate your foyer for sure, as the details there are almost overwhelming. Is there a powder room on the first floor? That might be where I'd introduce some fern wallpaper for a jewel box effect and a bit of surprise. Then I would continue the fern theme throughout the house in little touches here and there, plunking a whole wall of it into the guest bedroom. www.photowall.com will custom make wallpaper from your photos if you want to try your artistic hand and incorporating the actual ferns that are growing in your area. I bet you could even paint your own fern pillows.

Watercolor Fern Throw Pillow, 18x18 · More Info

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste I love your idea of throwing fern hints here and there - I could also paint a fern mural somewhere. There is a small powder room on the first floor (with some terrible black marble on the floor) that I could wallpaper or mural. There's also a laundry room where it could be fun. I also have an entire lower level to completely refinish and there will be some "boring" walls there. Maybe that's where my wallpaper goes...

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Green ferns on a black background could look great with the black marble and distract from it.

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I hadn't thought of it that way - excellent point!

• ginatay124
    3 years ago

I think there’s no reason why the beachy wall colors that you love wouldn’t work in a mountain house. After all, it’s only a few pillows and decor accessories that say “beach.” The bones of the home can still be light and bright and your base furniture pieces can be light as well - silver, gray, white (remembering you like clear colors). Then just accessorize a little differently to bring in the vibe you are going for - more rustic, woodsy, etc. Consider painting beams and woodwork white or creamy white and treating fireplace stone to lighten it

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ginatay124 oh these are lovely examples... if it is at all helpful, this is my former home. What you have posted above matches my style perfectly: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Milton/84-Franklin-St-02186/home/8919415

• ginatay124
    3 years ago

Thanks, it’s helpful to see your existing furniture pieces and decor style. Congratulations on the sale of a beautiful home and the purchase of an extraordinary mountain home. With a little love, it can become your dream home. When you search Houzz photos for inspiration, search under “rustic“ style as well, and look for paint and furniture colors and level of sophistication that call to you. Just one tip for painting a space that has a lot of awkward angles - choose a paint color light enough to go on both walls and ceiling. Use the same color throughout, at least in your main living spaces and it will help the angles to blend in. Agree about needing to see paint samples in the space if possible and since your walnut flooring is the one thing that won’t change further, make sure your paint color plays well with it.

• Melissa Dunn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ginatay124 - thank you. We were in our former home for many years and I loved it so much. I can't wait to make this new home ours. hanks for the tip on the heavily angled foyer. :) I ordered a bunch of samples that I will test out this weekend. I do feel much clearer now with my vision, due to this conversation!

• PRO
    Tall Pines Construction
    6 months ago

Your home and color palette remind us of some of our projects that combine a light and airy feel without sacrificing the “mountain” vibe you want in a cabin.

This home uses the light colors you are looking for, plus the bonus of wallpaper accent wall you were looking for:

This living room definitely feels like a cabin but still feels light:

The key to blending the lighter colors you like with a mountain vibe is balance- including in your stone, wood, and furniture. For more inspiration, check out ourportfolios and Houzz profile.