Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_groboskivahlin

Paint Color Help

I have probably ordered every paint chip in white from SW. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out paint colors for my living room and kitchen as they are pretty much opened to one another. For the living room I would LOVE to do an accent color behind the fireplace. Sorry about the photo as currently part of our kitchen is in the living room. I'm concerned about picking out a color to go well with the accent color for the rest of the living room. Also, the honey oak trim is staying :( as we have 77 windows and a bunch of doors we would need to paint so that is not an option. Also, the picture is a little dark and we are getting rid of the ceiling fan and eventually I'd love to replace the mantle. I really like Copen Blue by SW and also Pearl Gray as the stone has a little blue-ish grayish green in it that I'd love to pull out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)

• jck910
    3 years ago

I would not do an accent wall especially the FP wall. An accent wall should be a solid wall. Your wall has the FP and windows so very little of the color would be visible. And really we can't help without better pictures of both Rooms

Jill Groboski Vahlin thanked jck910
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

What colors are your floors? What furnishings do you have? Copen Blue is a beautiful color, but for a living area I would look for a lighter version of it, like SW Sea Salt. You can add darker colored accents of that color in accessories.

Jill Groboski Vahlin thanked calidesign
  • Jill Groboski Vahlin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Perhaps I was a bit hasty to post this now. Our kitchen is still under construction and it is the first thing we've remodeled since we moved into this house so I really can't show a picture now and also why there are boxes in front of the wall.

The honey oak trim is what is giving me heartache over the color of the paint. Originally, I thought Pearl Gray or Sea Salt but honestly Sea Salt does not look like I see it in pics in my living room. It looks darker. In fact Pearl Gray and Sea Salt in my living room look like the same color (I think Sea Salt might look a touch bluer than Pearl Gray). Then, I decided to go neutral and picked out every color home decorators' blogs said would look good with honey oak but honestly I didn't care for any of them because they seemed to blend in too much with the stone fireplace and honestly a lot of them seemed pretty drab. I love the fireplace and want a color that will bring it out and make it shine thus why I was thinking of an accent color for that wall. I like light airy colors and a lot of the colors I saw that worked with honey oak were too beige and too dark. My thought was to go lighter in the kitchen and then pick a shade or 2 darker for the living room. I started with Fleur de Sel for the kitchen and Sea Salt/Pearl Gray for living room. However, the Fleur de Sel in the kitchen looked almost silvery and did not play well with the honey oak. So, then I started researching paint colors to go with honey oak and well here I am :) .

I think I might post again with better pics once we get the kitchen done. You have definitely give me some things to think about.

• jck910
    3 years ago

Really paint color is the last choice you need furniture and window treatments in place then choose wall color. Millions of paint colors (literally) much less choice in fabrics so yes I agree wait until the kitchen is done.

Sage Greens go well with oak. Look at BM Camouflage and Farrow & Ball Bone

Jill Groboski Vahlin thanked jck910
  • Jill Groboski Vahlin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Floors are natural oak. I do not have furniture yet as we are going to get new living room furniture, so thank you for giving me some perspective about waiting to choose paint colors. We've been living in this house for 1 year and have had delays with the kitchen so I'm just getting antsy to get things moving so the house feels like our home vs just living in someone else's house.