Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fr_gaillour

Satin or Semi-Gloss for trim, base moulding, wainscoating?

rj vost
3 years ago

We are repainting our trim, base moulding, wainscoating as a way to freshen up the white. We'll probably use BM White Dove. I have reviewed many posts looking for product and design latest recommendation on both BM product and finish: semi-gloss or satin. Most of the posts are many years old. I imagine products may have improved.

What are your product and finish recommendations for painting trim? BM product? Satin or Semi-gloss?

We have never painted the trim since moving into our home 6 years ago; it appears to be either satin or semi-gloss; hard to say. It's primarily the baseboards that are very beat up.

We did paint the walls 6 years ago using BM Lenox Tan in entry and Shaker Beige throughout hte house (Regal Select Matte).

Thanks for your help!

Comments (10)

• kculbers
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I also prefer satin. Satin tends to hide any wood flaws. Gloss paint tends to show. imperfections. Last year I painted the entire inside of my home. I used satin for all my trim and doors, and was quite happy with that look.

rj vost thanked kculbers
  • rj vost
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan and kculbers, thank you for sharing your perspective that satin finish for trim is the way to go. Any thoughts on the BM product to use? I see mentions of Regal and also Advance(?)

• Jennifer Havin
    3 years ago

I found this on the BM website

Pearl Paint

A pearl finish is a medium gloss that maintains high durability. Both beautiful and easy to clean, a pearl finish lends dimension to trim while being optimal for walls in high-traffic areas. Regal® Select Interior Pearl (550) has a finish that can be used everywhere from wainscoting to doors, and offers mildew resistance for high-humidity areas.

rj vost thanked Jennifer Havin
  • loobab
    3 years ago

I think it depends what you are painting and its condition.

Someone just asked this a week ago.

If it's a door or cabinet frame that is frequently handled and is smooth, I would go with semi-gloss.

Same for bookshelves.

If you have lived there, you know what condition the walls and surfaces are in, and if a glossier paint will magnify the surface imperfections.

Also, having lived there, you know how dirty those surfaces get and if they need a more washable paint or not.

rj vost thanked loobab
  • kathylawyer
    3 years ago

Last year I refreshed, I used satin and I am very happy with my choice.

rj vost thanked kathylawyer
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Advance /satin

rj vost thanked JAN MOYER
  • rj vost
    Original Author
    3 years ago

jennifer, loolab, kathylawyer, jan,
    thank you for your responses and perspectives. I did not see the BM table you included. very useful. the trim gets medium traffic but baseboards are extra beatup.

• rj vost
    Original Author
    3 years ago

stax,
    I must have missed your suggestion, it was not an intentional slight.
    I'm working extra hours past few days and checking houzz on my phone, not optimum for viewing
    would love to hear your thoughts. thank you.

• loobab
    3 years ago

That new Pearl paint sounds intetesting!

rj vost thanked loobab