Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Best way to sell a car privately?

IdaClaire
3 years ago

Ok ... the new car buying discussion continues around here. We think we'd do better selling my 2017 Kia Soul on our own. It only has 28,800 miles and is cute as can be, in excellent condition. I don't know that I've ever sold a car own my own though, and certainly don't know the best route to take in this day and age. Any suggestions?

Comments (26)

• bbstx
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I sold my last one on Craigslist. Talked to a friend who was pretty savvy about pricing before I listed it. I would have way underpriced it without his advice. Sold quickly and relatively hassle-free.

ETA: That was 5 years ago. I might try FaceBook Market Place today.

ETA More: When we sold my car on Craigslist, we met the potential buyers at Walmart. I let them test drive the car by themselves. I was a tad bit nervous, but they were nice folks and brought it back. Of course, they had left their car sitting there with us while they were in my car.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

We've sold all our cars just by putting a "For Sale" sign in the window with our phone contact. In most cases parking them on our corner lot where folks pull in and knock at our door. Literally gone within days, we call it the "magic corner" but not sure that would work in your situation. Never had any problems. Once the buyer called my dad to complain how rough the car drove, but that was because she was unfamiliar with driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle. In fact we've heard from most buyers how happy they were with the purchase. YMMV.

• deegw
    3 years ago

This isn't private but everyone I know who has gone to Carmax has been pleased. You don't need to purchase a car there to get an offer.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

we“ve been lucky and sold cars word of mouth. For many years I have driven Toyota’s and my husband has a reputation of keeping a vehicles serviced and in excellent mechanical condition. The last 2 times we’ve mentioned we were thinking of selling. One, my boss bought! The other a friend of a friend. We had a second person wanting it if that sale fell through. I believe we did sell a truck on Craigslist or newspaper ad years ago.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

We are going to be in the market to sell one of our cars too. We haven't sold a car privately in a long time. I can't remember if we went with potential buyers for the test drive but if not I'd be spooked about them taking off with the car which I guess could happen even with you in the car. And then there's the title transfer - in the past we just signed the title over with a hand written bill of sale and kept the tear off part of the title. I can see how a place like Carmax simplifies that whole process a bit. From what I've been reading you take a bit of a hit on price with Carmax but maybe it's worth it.

• bpath
    3 years ago

We’ve never sold a car, we drive them into the ground and then donate, and I only traded in my first car. I have to sell my dad’s Lexus, I was thinking of calling his mechanic at the dealership to see if he knew anyone interested. I really don’t want to deal with buyers who might try to haggle. Hmm, I’d better find the title first . . .

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Carvana gave me an offer I'd be more than happy with. Anyone used them?

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

We bought through Carvana but didn’t sell DH’s. They were super low. Basically they come get the car and write a check. The KIA Soul is a pretty popular car. You could also look at Carmax. We sold his old Honda to the guys in the independent shop who work on the Mustang. They said every day they are asked about budget used cars. With DH’s Accord being a 2006 there wasn’t much of a trade.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

No but I just checked them out and got an offer that sounds surprisingly good too.

• llitm
    3 years ago

In our state the buyer is taxed on the difference between the new car price and the trade-in which has made it worthwhile to trade rather than sell ourselves. When we have sold ourselves it involved listing online and, once the $$$ is in hand, a title transfer.

• Bunny
    3 years ago

Back in 2006 I sold my late husband's very nice truck on Craigslist. With KBB I figured out the best price. First I went back to the Ford dealer to see what they'd offer. It was insultingly low and I decided I'd rather push the truck off a cliff than let them have it for that.

As soon as I posted it on CL, I got an email from a nice man who lived a few miles away. I met him and his wife at a busy shopping center and went with him on a test drive. Very short. I made a snap judgment about the guy and thankfully I wasn't wrong. He offered me a little less, I countered with a little more, and we struck a deal. Did the payment at his bank with a cashiers check.

It was sad to see him drive it away down my street, but I was glad I did it.

• localeater
    3 years ago

A low mileage good condition used car is an in-demand vehicle. I would start with word of mouth. Tell your church, tell your coworkers, tell your parents to tell everyone they know. In my town there are always families with teens who need a reliable car. If you have any high school connections, tell them too. I sold a car sitting in the bleachers at a high school football game once.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm having it detailed as we speak (ok, type). Probably not a bad idea to put for sale sign on it until we know for sure that we'll take the Carvana offer. It looks like this, so a very cute car that will be great for its new owner.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I sold my dad's car (I had his POA). Luckily, we had a friend who had a grandson needing a vehicle. I signed the title over and made a copy, noting who and when I sold it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

OMG that is adorable.

• girlnamedgalez8a
    3 years ago

We went to Carmax last fall & they made us a really great offer on our car. Used cars are in high demand right now.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have decided to initiate the first steps with Carvana and provided the requisite documentation to them. It's a different way of selling, for sure!

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Do you ship? Just kidding, I have to go for a much more "utility" vehicle in my bad weather region and budget. Hubs has a RAV and we are getting a truck . . . I have a Matrix for the mileage, but where I live now, the roads and the hauling mean I need something more heavy duty. But hate to give up the fuel economy . . .

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

DH has always gotten the trade in value he wanted so that has just been easiest, no fuss no muss. Years ago we sold an old pick up. It was a mess as the ad we put in the paper priced it wrong. If you want to let them test drive it I have heard of people keeping their driver's license while they are gone.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Arcy, you surely would not want someone driving without their license???!!!

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

@Tina Marie - actually that's what we did the last time we sold our car to an unknown individual - held his drivers license while he took a test drive around the neighborhood - no problem.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

@3katz4me I just don't think it's a good idea. I might ask for a credit card. I wouldn't want someone driving without their license. Plus, the person is leaving their vehicle with you. Lucky for us, we've only sold to someone we knew (one didn't even take a test drive, brought me a check - my old boss LOL), so we have had no worries. When we sold my dad's car, our friend wanted my husband to ride with him.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Tina, people don’t get thrown in jail because they don’t have their license with them. (In most states.)

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

Tina, I agree with others above, it’s really it's not a big deal.

• Springroz
    3 years ago

My DS registered his car (a diesel-gate VW station wagon) with Carvana several months ago. Every week or so they would send him an offer, and it kept going up. When he found the Subaru that was perfect, he took the offer from Carvana, and they sent an appraiser to his work, then the appraiser called the tow vehicle, wrote him a check, and picked up the car. He had spoken with the dealer, and their offer was much lower. There can be a LOT of profit in used cars.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

We sold ours to our yard guy -- we traded for yard service for a length of time. He does many yards here and had been doing our house before we bought it. He does my son's yard and did my parents' last house. After 19 years, he's almost family. In fact, I chat with him more than some family members. Worked out nicely, but that's not really a solution for getting the most money in your pocket.

Our salesman at the dealership told us the best way to get the best trade in was to go to Carmax or another dealer and bring in the best price.