Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanmfrey

double wall oven vs microwave convection wall oven

Susan
3 years ago

Renovating the kitchen. We were struggling to decide where to put the microwave. Our options are this :

1. Double wall oven and then put a microwave drawer in the peninsula
  2. A single wall oven with a microwave/convection oven combo. If we go this way should we add a warming drawer?

I’m torn. In option 2 I lose oven space but gain cabinets by losing the microwave drawer. I’m intrigued by the possibility of losing a toaster oven off the countertop by having this small quick heating oven. In option 1 we are not sure we love the microwave drawer. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    3 years ago

Hi Susan - I vote for double ovens plus microwave. I had this in my last home. This house I’m in now (it’s definitely not worthy to be called “my home”) has a KitchenAid convection oven/regular oven combo with microwave above it. Even though it’s just the two of us, I miss two full ovens. I also find that the convection function is crap. Perhaps in a higher end appliance it’d work better but this is just a waste of space.

• tsjmjh
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have a Thermador Microwave/Convection (Masterpiece MCES - now discontinued). Since we use the microwave far, far more than we do a second oven, that was an easy choice for us. Plus we aren't particularly wild about drawer microwaves. The holiday turkeys and hams get convected in it and no one has ever had any complaints. I don't know what Thermador replaced my model with and I don't remember the price (it was all of 3 or 4 years ago and I'm old, lol) but I think it was around $1500 with the trim kit.

Edited to say I have a warming drawer in my range so I didn't have to plan for that drawer space.

• awm03
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just removed a 17 yr old KitchenAid oven/microwave combo. The convection oven was great until recently, but the attached microwave died after 2 years. I'd advise to get separate appliances, not attached combo appliances. If one of the attached appliances fails, it's an expensive repair. We've been using countertop microwaves for the last 15 years.

I replaced the oven with a GE Twin Flex double oven. I had a shelf built above it & a new outlet installed, and put a new countertop Panasonic mw there. So glad to get the microwave off my counters! . I looked at the small convection/mw speed ovens -- many here love them. But I wasn't sure how much ventilation space we'd have for one. Plus if the Panasonic fizzles out after a couple of years as microwaves are prone to do, it will be easy to plug in a new one.

Here's the Twin Flex, two ovens in the space of a single oven. So far, it's been terrific. I'll post a picture of my set up tomorrow, even though the mw isn't trimmed out yet.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    3 years ago

I agree with amw about buying separate appliances. Our microwave in the KitchenAid regular oven/microwave combo died after 4 years. We repaired it for about $500, yes, totally ridiculous ( 2- man job apparently so labor $ high or they just wanted to rip us off). We didn’t want to replace the whole thing, thinking we’d demo the whole kitchen soon.

• awm03
    3 years ago

Here's my new Twin Flex oven with the new microwave shelf above. The microwave shelf hasn't been trimmed out yet. So far, I'm liking the height of everything: convection oven isn't too low, small oven isn't too high, microwave isn't too high either.