Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lissapeeling

mountain cabin floor plan help needed!!!!

lissapeeling
3 years ago

Hi everyone!

I am building a mountain cabin and am looking for help in the design I created! All criticism and comments welcome! It’s a modular design with the outside shape already determined. The one long wall on the second floor opposite the kitchen is short in height and then vaults dramatically near the sky lights. The “storage” area would be a bar and the “tv” would be a media centre.

Comments (16)

• course411
    3 years ago

It looks like your clearances on the second floor are either unrealistic or not drawn to scale. Your kitchen aisle looks to be 1' wide, for example, based on the widths shown for the kitchen cabinets & island.

lissapeeling thanked course411
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

What is the site like? Site circulation? Views? North? Vegetation? Soils? Size? Neighbors? Etc.

How do you propose to protect the plumbing above the entry porch from freezing?

Invest in a local architect.

lissapeeling thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • bpath
    3 years ago

People in the guest bedrooms have no room for their clothes. The dining table, the chairs are drawn about the same size as the stove burners.

lissapeeling thanked bpath
  • apple_pie_order
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

1- The software's scale has gotten messed up somehow. Start over fresh.

2. Decide if the cabin will hold 6 people or fewer. That's your basic decision with which everything else has to work. This plan shows living room seating for four people, eating space for 14 people (but the table's scale is wrong), and sleeping space for 6 people.

3. Ski lockers should be near the entrance, not up a winding staircase on the second floor.

lissapeeling thanked apple_pie_order
  • lissapeeling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@apple_pie_order

6 people is what we are looking for. Removing the table!

The bedrooms are actually on the main floor (with the ski locker) and the main living space is elevated to take advantage of the giant vaulted ceilings and the mountain views. Does that make more sense?

• lissapeeling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have taken out the table and corrected the clearance for the island.... OOPS :)

• lissapeeling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect

Not sure about the plumbing/freezing issue over the front door. Can that not be insulated properly? Please pardon my ignorance.

And yes I agree, we need professional help. Hoping to have a rough draft to help kick start the project! The lot is 4 acres of trees. No nearby neighbours. The geotech report is pending. Looking to face south/southwest to maximize views and sun exposure. Size of the place is about 1500 sq ft.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Thank for info. I strongly suggest you open a new plan in your software. Once software plans are messed up, they just waste your time. BTW, a traditional large table with chairs will work much better than island-only seating. Think of Julia Child's kitchen (now in the Smithsonian).

I think you are ready to go to an architect. They can work from your wish list for a 1500 square foot place with room for 6 people on the lot you have chosen.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

"we need professional help"

The sooner the better. The rough draft may be more of a kick than a start.

• lissapeeling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect

That bad eh? hahaha

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Well, there are things I would do differently. A local architect should be able to design with you a home that meets your needs and fits your site.

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

You said "modular," you mean manufactured? No mention of tiny house (meaning 1 structure that will all fit on a trailer and pass underneath bridges), so 2 modules stacked? This would need to be worked hand-in-hand with the faciltiy. 18'-4" wide where's the split occur? Draw a section, especially with the single slope roof, to see usable floor space upstairs and whether you hit your head on the stair. How you heating it?

Same comments as others - plumbing, no space to remove stuff when enter, little windows.

lissapeeling thanked 3onthetree
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

What direction are the views? You say that the living room floor has them... But there are no windows that I can see on the tv/bar side of the room, and the other side of the room has small ones. Do you mean the windows at the end of the cabin under the porch roof?

• Seabornman
    3 years ago

There aren't enough risers in your stair. It will be difficult to get countertops and beds up the stair. I don't understand the scale thing. You draw at "full size" and add annotations and print to fit on a view.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Consider something other than the modular design route; what you gain in the start of your project may compromise your use and enjoyment of the cabin over the years. The ten foot module does not appear conducive to the way you layout the spaces or respond to the site.