Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amart912

Address numbers, light fixture, mailbox on red brick home

Amy
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are seeking to improve the curb appeal of our 1950s red brick home. I would love some ideas on: 1) house numbers (probably a plaque makes sense for red brick). I'm not sure what color combination of plaque/numbers to go with. I tend to like more modern numbers, but our home is fairly traditional in appearance.

2) New light fixture - any thoughts?

3) New mailbox to go with above house numbers and light fixture .

Any other ideas for improving this area are welcome. Thank you!

Comments (11)

• jck910
    2 years ago

Please post a picture of the entire front of the house. Black usually works best with brick

• Amy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

See new photo. Thanks!

• Maureen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So exciting! I see so much potential.

You asked about additional ideas and I would suggest painting your storm and front door the same fun color to make it have more presence and add a doormat.

https://petticoatjunktion.com/my-house/how-to-paint-your-front-door-and-metal-framed-storm-door/

On the edge of the house under the small window you could add a urn that can be changed seasonally.

Depending on your planting zone, look for suitable flowering plants for your garden; this would create so much curb appeal. You could also plant a dwarf tree on the front lawn.

Amy thanked Maureen
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Love the above suggestions. I’d also consider doing something with the front porch if you can.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Yes, great suggestions from Maureen. Cute house!

• carol beachlady
    2 years ago

Cute house. I like the pale grey trim. Works well with your grey roof. Mine is similar. If you have the funds, I would replace the iron railing with wood., and paint the same pale grey. For your front door, use a darker grey, keeping the frame of the storm door the same pale grey. Paint the top rail the same darker grey also. I would put the plaque with the house number in that blank space between your mailbox and the corner window. A mailbox with some brass trim would add a little zing. Light fixture will be tricky, because of the swing space of the storm door. Lanterns are traditional. but the light they put out is mostly glare. So shop for a type of hanging fixture labelled "dark sky" - or at least one with frosted glass. This way the light will be focused down onto the porch. Important when your friends are entering and leaving at night.

• Mark Brunner
    2 years ago

Cute house! All your plans make sense, but landscaping will definitely help.

• jck910
    2 years ago

Thanks for the picture. Nice house love the dormer with all those windows

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I second everything that @maureen said! Black lights, mailbox and address numbers look great with traditional red brick. The turquoise door would be very striking. For a more “traditional” color, think deep green. (Not lime and not too close to black. Evergreen).
    Very sweet house. 😊

• Amy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for these great suggestions!!