Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlita_hawke

Are the proposed paint, light fixtures, mailbox and house number nice?

Carlita Hawke
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Showing the fixture design the face design and the fixture patina and the glass colour So you can get a better idea.

Comments (31)

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Unless the current mailbox needs replacement, I would keep it.

I like the proposed light fixture and house number. But you could spay paint the existing light with black (or bronze) paint for metal. The house number could be mounted where the existing one is. I think that is a more visible placement. I like the darker color of the front door, but the red is OK.

Carlita Hawke thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

I like the proposal! I might also paint the stair railing black.

Carlita Hawke thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I plan to paint the soffits and fascia, and the interior and exterior windows using these two above colours. I hate the style of the white fixture. Showing you the full front and part of the sides of my house.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Agreed with Sabrina that black would enhance your home.
    The new light fixture is nice. But if your changing it out anyways I’d do something less ornate and detailed. Mailbox is so pretty. Does it come in black? With gold brush marks?

• Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The mailbox does not come in black. It is the same verde brass finish as the lamp and lighted house number With the same slag glass.

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

The façade already has a lot of textures and materials: stone under the bay window, different stone on the steps and porch, several brick colors, and shingles. I would, therefore, try to unify as many elements as possible. Keep the mailbox, stair railing and light fixture the same color. I actually like the current door color.. Of course, freshening up the landscaping will make a big difference.

• Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks.The landscaping, picture taken early spring so it looks bare nothing in bloom yet..

• amuzyczka
    2 years ago

This is a very pretty house. I actually like what you already have more than your proposed changes. Your proposed new light seems undersized to me and I would also suggest painting the wrought iron railing black....

Carlita Hawke thanked amuzyczka
  • loobab
    2 years ago

Whether a house number is good is whether it is large enough to be seen from the street, really, from the car driving by.

So while the number looks nice to us, the real question is it large enough?

Because we know the mailman knows your house number.

Carlita Hawke thanked loobab
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I also think the light fixture isn't big enough to balance the window. It is more compatible with the style of the house but you might find something better.

With so many elements on the facade (2 different stones, brick, shingles, iron railing) it seems to me that the designs of the mailbox and light need to be simple.

I like color on the door, since nearly everything else is dark.

Carlita Hawke thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The lamp I choose does not have a hook arm because the hooked arm style does not work in wet locations. I have snow and rain and ice. The arch of the fixture matches the arch on the doorway. The little dormers on the roof of the fixture matches the bay window and the roofline above the door.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I think it matches your house great! I like all your proposed changes.

Carlita Hawke thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I'd prob use these colors if you want that bronze

and one of these colors w/this type of light and address plaque

I gave you a gargoyle light (perfect for a Tudor)

also put in the antique tudor mail box, and some simple brass numbers

Carlita Hawke thanked Beth H. :
  • Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your ideas all of you.

• Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The gargoyle light for me is to adversarial. Thanks for the suggestions though.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

I agree with flopsy and Jinx. keep the unity but add a little fun with the light fixture.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

carlita, um, ok. They were actually put on buildings to divert rain water/and scare off evil, even protectors of churches. (going back centuries obviously).

not sure why they appear hostile to you. I think they're rather cute. To each their own!

Carlita Hawke thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

I actually love the fixture you chose, but I would go with a bronze finish or raw copper that can patina. I'm not sold on the green and red because I like the statement flopsy said about unity. I think whimsy can help address the blandness you might be feeling, and YES landscape will be your way to create that color against a solid background. Your house reminds me a bit of tudor a bit craftsman a bit post-war lol.

Carlita Hawke thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am definitely going with the brass with the verde patina that ages over timefir the light fixture mailbox and lite up

house number.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

why not just get or paint the numbers onto the mailbox itself?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

who makes that light fixture?

• Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

https://www.americasfinestlighting.com

they also make the mailbox and the lightup house number.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Mailboxes are going through some changes now what with all the online ordering people do and all the thievery that is going on with people stealing your packages. That is something for you to think about when you order a new mailbox.

Carlita Hawke thanked loobab
  • Therese N
    2 years ago

Definitely the gargoyle! Otherwise, consider copper too. All these Tudor & gothic styles are perfect.

Carlita Hawke thanked Therese N
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

That's Arroyo Craftsman! OH man, you have the good taste they make beautiful lighting. Probably cost you close to a grand lol, just for the light!

• Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hopefully it is quality that will last.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

Such beautiful choices at that site!

I particularly like the Glen Canyon and Brookdale style lamps (I am always drawn to Craftsman design.) Lovely overlay and glass choices.

I see that it is possible to get a mailbox with the lighted numbers - it wouldn't have the matching overlay design of your lamp, unfortunately, but would allow to have all of your elements on the one side of the door, which would be a nice balance (to have just 2 fixtures instead of 3). Just something to think about

Carlita Hawke thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes Raee so beautiful.yes to

bad about that.

• Carlita Hawke
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Light fixtures are installed.

Still debating window trim paint colours.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Looks great. :)

Carlita Hawke thanked Jilly