Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinkephart

Paint the brick wall? Kitchen Remodel

Robin Schmidt
2 years ago

Hello - I am in the beginning stages of a kitchen remodel. The design is complete, but now I need to make some color/texture choices.

What are your thoughts about this brick? Some brick is beautiful exposed. I’m not sure about my brick. Would you play off of it OR paint it? If I do keep it, what color cabinets and counter would you choose?

Comments (31)

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

I like the brick, it goes great with the beamed ceiling, in my opinion, but a personal choice. Are you doing a full kitchen remodel? Based on what's in the photo, I don't see anything to hate for existing cabinets/counter. However, the flooring kind of adds another degree of busyness.

Would be nice to have more pictures of the kitchen.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Is that actually part of the home or just added on brick. I actually don’t like fake or added on brick but love exposed actual real brick walls that are part of the structure.. From what I see it seems to be an add on to go with those cabinets. Waht is that square above the counter ?As for anything else we need to know your style and IMO a to scale plan of the whole kitchen too

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I should have been more clear. It will be a FULL kitchen remodel. As much as I wanted to do wood, it’s just really expensive because of Covid. My favorite style is very much so craftsman/bungalow. But I live in a 1960s ranch, so I can only bring in touches of that into my home. I tend to like colors from nature. I do have white in my home, but it is more off-white or creamy white vs stark white. Here is one color scheme I came up with, but each time I look at it with the brick, I’ve started to really question the brick.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is in my living room.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My fear is that I’m going to make the wrong decision with everything and now I’m finding I’m more discouraged than excited! I want to become excited again ;)

• mimimomy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You wanted to do wood-- not sure if you're referring to cabinets, flooring, or something else? Maybe you could prop your selections against the brick and take a photo of that?

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    2 years ago

I don't think your brick is ugly and I normally don't recommend painting brick but since this is inside the house it's not as big of a deal. I would probably make my cabinet and counter selections before deciding to paint the brick. I think it's difficult for us to suggest colors, etc. since we don't really know what colors you like or dislike, what types of wood you like, and so on.

If you don't paint it I would probably go with a stain (if you don't do painted cabinets) that is less orange than your current stain color. Maybe a walnut or espresso stain. Once you've selected your cabinet finish that will guide your counter selections.

This will give you an idea of how a darker stain plays off the brick color and impacts counter choices.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is current selection. It looks good in the light at the moment.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is full kitchen.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My kitchen has little natural light, so I need to pick some sort of options that really brighten my kitchen up.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Robin, while I was typing up my post all these other posts, as well as your pictures were posted. I think your choices work well with the brick. If you like the craftsman style a suggestion would be a shaker style door which is less busy than the door you're showing.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This door was simply the only color option the cabinet store had. I will chose a more shaker style door. I’m having trouble visualizing the brick w my choices.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

I like your selections. Would add bright white ceilings and perhaps additional lighting. Have you considered a skylight or two, seeing as you have a ranch?

• PRO
    2 years ago

If you're interested in seeing a mock up of the entire kitchen check out my website, Creative Visual Concepts. I could show you how it would look after the remodel.

• Emily
    2 years ago

I love the texture of brick. You could whitewash the brick letting some of the color peak thru. This is something you could hold off on doing until you see everything else in place. You’re color choices are good and with additional lighting you’ll have a nice bright kitchen.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have recessed lighting and under cabinet lighting in the design plan. That’ll help!!!

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

I live in a craftsman bungalow and in my remodel I am exposing my brick chimney. A little brick is nice. Is it possible to do a double wall oven and leave the brick area between the cabinets and first ceiling beam?

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sherry, I am curious about your color selections. Is your brick the same color? The designer came up with some nook idea for the current wall oven.

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

My chimney is true red brick, it may be a little less orangy than yours, but it is hard to tell from a picture.

I am going with wood cabinetry (red birch) and my backsplash will be creamy white 3x12 subway, The floors are hardwood. The counter is pretty kooky, my husband chose Cambria Hadley which is a navy blue. I ordered stainless appliances.

I will now have 400 designers on here telling me how bad my choices are but I don't care.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sherry, that sounds beautiful actually. Did you post a photo?

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

while not the best renderings this might give you an idea

Walls are extra white and the cabinets are SW Vanillin

cabinets and walls extra white

Here is everything Vanillin

Everything bright white

Blue wall with Vanillin

Blue wall with white

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Melissa - This is SO helpful. I don’t want to do bright white, but I like the creamer white. I suppose the brick looks pretty good. I’m also intrigued by the blue wall. What color backsplash would you do?

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If it helps, the cabinets will very much so match the trim and beams. Can you show a rendering with that?

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Try lime-washing your brick before painting it opaque. It’s not a bad texture to have, but the color is too dark and limiting. Another treatment is German smear.

• Robin Schmidt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Theresa - I’ll need to research those! Any examples of the brick my color?

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I actually think you have a nice kitchen, without doing much at all. The creamy white is not helping it appear brighter at all. Install more lighting, and change the creamy white to a bright white. That appears to be an oven in the brick wall. Not sure why the counter runs in front of that. If you dont need that counterspace, I would eliminate that section of countertop. You dont need to paint the walls white, you can pick a white with a hint of color in it, so you get a bit of interest in there. I would also leave the brick the way it is. If that is the oven in that brick, I cant even imagine how hard it is to use, with that counter in front of it. I am also not fond of the new choice for countertop, you picked. I would keep the cabinets like they are, and pick a new countertop, in a whiter white. Make sure your lighting is about 4000k led daylight bulbs.

• lwfromny
    2 years ago

I would suggest waiting until you have more of the kitchen installed before you decide. Tell the contractor that when it comes time to decide on wall color and whether to paint the brick, you will need lighting installed. I’m assuming you are probably adding recessed lighting - tell them you need it to be functioning for making paint color and placement decisions. And do the best you can to replicate any other lighting that will be in the room - don’t try to choose based on the work lights the contractor will have on site. Otherwise it will be a nightmare trying to decide what to do.

Personally I would paint the brick the same color as the walls, but everyone’s taste is different. Fortunately, you can always decide not to paint it initially, and then paint later if you think you’d prefer it that way.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Here is a nice article with photos. There are fake lime wash techniques using paint so that it isn’t so chalky. Essentially you water down your paint a bit and use cloths to wipe some of it away. Research you tube or other places online for tips and techniques for specifics.

https://gambrick.com/painted-brick-vs-limewash/

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

@Robin Schmidt the reno is scheduled for August.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

I wouldn’t worry about the brick...make the best choices for your home and taste. After the fact, painting the brick is an easy option, but I suggest a German Schemer. The best of both, not losing the brick‘s impact, but making it softer and lighter.

To me the bigger issue is the frame around the oven and if you lighten the brick the frame painted white may help.

Adding open shelving next to the oven is another way to lessen the frame’s impact and could be cute.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

I agree with cat_ky your kitchen is nice looking (no idea how well the cabinets work for you). But skylights may be cheaper than cabinetry, so just throwing this out there:)

Skylights in kitchen