Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_zone6b

Celestial Night - how do you like it?

So I have been eyeballing some of the beautiful darker roses online and found Celestial Night at my local nursery. I absolutely love the color and bloom shape. I’ve read a few threads about her on here - sounds like some of you may have had her for a few years now. How are you liking this rose? I read it might do better with some afternoon shade. Would you say that’s true? I’m in Kansas and our afternoon sun can get brutal. I’m trying to figure out the best spot to put her to keep her happy. Thanks a bunch!

Comments (20)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    2 years ago

Wow ! That is so so beautiful. I wish I had kept mine . It wasn’t that I didn’t want it , it just got neglected when I was moving it and had no idea where I wanted to move it . What a bummer . I’ll have to get it again !

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Celestial Night is one of my favorite roses. We also get triple digets and CN just keeps blooming those big petal packed blooms. The color is dark and rich and non fading

I would buy more of CN if I had a speck of room.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

Wow. Much better in your photos than in the advertisements.

• rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8)
    2 years ago

Lilyfinch, I’ve done the same thing. My mom bought be a little patio rose tree as a surprise. I couldn’t figure out where I was going to put it and lost it. :(
    Btw, I love looking at all the rose pics you post, so gorgeous and they it gives me such a good idea how they will perform in my zone.
    Kristine, isn’t the non-fading such a surprise? They really should mention that in the description! :D

• rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8)
    2 years ago

Thank you Noseometer. I actually was mildly disappointed with my first blooms last year, they were bright magenta and the petals were tiny, thin and layered like a zinnia. I knew I had to be patience and wait. This year it’s 100% better. Here is a pic of my very first bloom, looks totally different.

• jread_8b_austin
    2 years ago

This thread gives me hope! I have the patio tree version of Celestial Night being delivered tomorrow and it will be planted in the ground in a full sun area. We live in Austin, where intense sun and blazing hot summers with triple digits are the norm, so Ive been a bit worried about how well it will perform.

2 years ago

I bet it will do just fine. Mine only gets afternoon sun and it had never lost its rich glorious color.

Cant wait to hear how you like it.

• jread_8b_austin
    2 years ago

Went in the ground yesterday! Now we wait for spring to arrive 😊

2 years ago

I can't wait to see your pictures.

• Matt C. Deos (9a/south Louisiana)
    2 years ago

Im excited for mine...

I have an existing bed that has a Zephirine Drouhin up on and above the wall, a Leonardo da Vinci in the center, and twin Sweet Drifts flanking the outsides but a LOT of space where some perennials used to be...

I picked up a Mr Lincoln, a Lasting Love, and a Celestial Night to break the pink monotony with some deep red and that magenta/purple.... I figure some orange flowering goodies peppered throughout and maybe some dark foliaged coleus in the shadows and i can make a pretty electric display :)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    2 years ago

In Sacramento Heat, my Celestial Night is fuchsia, not maroon.
    Carla in Sac

• jread_8b_austin
    2 years ago

We get the blazing hot summers in Austin as well (without as much cool down at night) so I imagine mine will be fuchsia as well.

2 years ago

Matt, that is just stunning!!

• Gari B
    17 days ago

Hi All, I am smitten by this rose. How is the vase life for Celestial Night???? would love to know before i pull the buy trigger .... THANKS SO MUCH !!!!

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    17 days ago

I have this rose coming from High Country Roses and so I am thrilled to see this thread and all your lovely pics.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    17 days ago

I have it but moved it to the shade because it really crisps in the heat. I think its vase life would really depend on where you live

Carla in Sac

• Elestrial 7a
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I've had this rose for around 5 or 6 years now, own root, and she's great. She is very healthy in my no spray garden and when she was in full sun for 3 years her flowers did sometimes crisp but it wasn't a big issue and not nearly as bad as some of the other dark red roses. Her color in the summer in full sun is more pink/magenta than the darker wine color in fall. Her leaves are really healthy, and a really nice blueish green color which contrasts well with her flower color.

It doesn't mention anywhere that she's shade tolerant but I can confirm she very much is. When I moved a few years ago, it was October, and all of the leaves were off of the trees. Stupidly, I planted her on what I thought was the west side of some sort of pergola that had these big overgrown vines all over it. I didn't know what the vines were but they looked awful so I planned to remove them. Well spring came and I found out that the vines were very mature wisterias which were stunning and sooo fragrant when they bloomed, I couldn't get rid of them. Unfortunately what I thought was the west side turned out to be the north side of the structure, and when the wisterias leafed out they cast a complete deep shade over the rose, no dappled light at all. Surprisingly, she produces several good flushes of blooms in spite of it - only getting about 2 hours of the evening setting sun. She doesn't bloom as much as she did in full sun but it's still plenty of roses - she performs better than I ever would have expected her to there. She also is very healthy even though her leaves don't get dried off by the sun and I don't spray any fungicides.

She does sucker: I noticed last year that she threw out a new bush next to herself so now I have two of them

The only downsides to her is, for me, her blooms are not nearly as remarkable as Twilight Zone, Munstead Wood, or Ebb Tide. She doesn't have as many petals as them and her petals are extremely rounded and circular (which for me isn't as interesting). In the shade she has even less petals. She also has absolutely no fragrance at all. This is a plus though if you have a lot of japanese beetles, as they have completely ignored her here

Edit: Just thought I'd add, she has a decent vase life too. 5 - 7 days

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths