Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_655439647

How do we fix the paint job on this metal door?

Dyan Weis
2 years ago

Well, my daughter painted her front metal hollow door red. I bought her a 6” 152mm roller to paint it with but right before she painted it the other painter in the house handed her a different roller. Now we have a mess on our hands. I feel so bad for her she has been working on this for two days!

Now what do we do? It’s “gloopy” and a real mess.

Any suggestions? Do we sand and start over? If so what type of sand paper do we use? We are obviously amateurs! Thanks for any help!

Comments (13)

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

She has 3 coats on. This was after the 2nd coat.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Its roller stipple. It will have to dry good. Then sanded good, and recoated. Tell her to get a foam roller (usually white), that says it is meant for cabinets. Also a very good quality brush. Roll it on, and brush it out, as you roll. A regular roller will always leave a lot of roller stipple.

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That's what I figured. :( The Sherwin Williams guy gave me a nice roller. When we got to the house, another painter told her to use the one he had (which was BAD I think!).

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Do you happen to know what kind of sandpaper we should use? Thanks!

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I agree that once the door totally dries you must sand it smooth. I am a painting nut, love to paint and recently painted my entire home. Use only top quality brushes. I had a smooth steel front entry door that I previously painted only with a quality brush; I never used a roller. I took my time and it came out perfect❣️. Since then, I replaced my front door with a smooth fiberglass door. I plan to paint it with my high quality brush ( no roller ). Also purchase high quality paint.

Dyan Weis thanked kculbers
  • Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone. This is the roller that she was supposed to use. Before we open it, do you agree this is the right one or should we just use a brush? We will also sand with the 150 grit that Thomas Quality suggested below. Appreciate the help!

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"another painter told her to use the one he had"

Was this from the "painter" who sloped up the painting on the balance of the home?

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lol YES!!!

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

No, do not use that roller on the door. Use the smaller white ones, that say for cabinet painting, if you really want to use a roller. Personally, I would use a high quality brush for the whole door, since you have all those panels in the door. There are a difference in brushes, and also in rollers. Its important to use all good quality, to get a quality paint job.

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you cat_ky. Do you have an exact brush you can show me and I will buy that one?

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I use the Wooster Pro brushes. Great product at Home Depot.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Brush above is a good brand. They are not sold here in my small town, so I buy the Purdy brand. I have always had good luck with them.