Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barmaleyka

Strawberry propagation

barmaleyka
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi All,

I gave up on my attempts to get Japanese strawberries and settle on Mara Des Boir and Charlotte varieties. Both bare root seedlings should arrive today. I called Nourse - the company which I bought them from and I found an excellent technical support service there over the phone. Many things are clear now but two problems still bother me.

1. I was told that my plants will produce the most in the first year and then they will produce less and less. If I get runners they still will produce less and if I propagate through runners in several years the current population will degrade and finally will diminish production substantially. Since it is a hybrid I can not grow from seeds of my strawberry to get the same plants. The only solution is to buy every year bare root plants from them. It there any practical way to propagate this strawberry from year to year in the garden?

2. I got a lot of a compost. It is a mix of horse manure, wood dust and straw and it is 3 years old, looks completely composted. The farmer suggested to grow strawberry directly into the compost. I grow in pots and Nourse strongly advice against using the compost in pots and suggest using only the potting mix which is soilless. Why compost is good for outdoor garden and not good for pots? If I use large and deep pots - can it replicate soil in a garden?

Thank you in advance,

Comments (8)

• party_music50
    2 years ago

Since it is a hybrid, you should propagate by runners. Those will be true -- they're part of the mother plant. What the seeds produce is a different story.

• barmaleyka
    Original Author
    2 years ago

"What the seeds produce is a different story." It will be interesting to learn what will seeds produce. I realize it will be difference, but will it be good?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

"I realize it will be difference, but will it be good?"

No way to tell. And many hybrids can be sterile so no viable seed produced. I am also surprised they told you propagate by runners will diminish productivity. That is the standard method of strawberry propagation and undoubtedly how your bare root plants got started!

"Why compost is good for outdoor garden and not good for pots? If I use large and deep pots - can it replicate soil in a garden?"

You do not want to replicate garden soil. Growing plants in containers is a vastly different situation than growing the same plants in the ground and you cannot impose the same principles on both with equal success. What is critical to container gardening is fast drainage and good aeration, neither of which will be provided by compost. You want a soil-less potting mix. And strawberries are shallow rooted spreaders - you do not need or want a deep pot. And one that so filled with compost will just lean towards causing root rots. Listen to the advice given by Nourse - they know what they are talking about.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

the media in pots.... is a water management system.. retaining the moisture the given plant needs.. and shedding excess .. different media.. is used for different plants ..

mother earth .. including compost..is SOIL ... and it is not a water management system ... dont use it in pots ...

ken

• alexcm [z6a]
    2 years ago

I was researching this today since my new Purple Wonder strawberry produced its first runner, this article has some great information: https://strawberryplants.org/what-are-strawberry-runners-stolons/

It's true that growing runners takes energy that could otherwise be used for growing fruit, but I wouldn't think just a few would hurt too much -- my plant has grown two so far, I pruned one and I'm letting the other root. If the plants do degrade over the years, the best solution imo is to constantly have new plants, and runners will get you identical clones.

• Richard Brennan
    2 years ago

Regarding the growing advice in question #1: I have grown strawberries for about 10 years now and my experience completely contradicts what the grower has indicated.

• Runners are genetically identical copies of the original plant - because they *are* the original plant. They are perfect propagations.
    • You typically get less strawberries the first year because you have planted your bare root plants about a foot apart and you are letting the runners fill in the bed. In other words you want the plants to concentrate on growing roots and expansion the first year.
    • You get great crops the second and third year.
    • After the third year the plants start to diminish - but this is why the runners are so important. They are your new refreshed plants. You remove the originals, and let the second and third year runners produce again. And on and on the cycle goes.
    • Of course, this means you never have to go back to the grower to buy new plants, and the cynical side of me is thinking that may be the reason for this odd advice.
  • barmaleyka
    Original Author
    2 years ago

About question #1. According to Nourse, only June bearing varieties produce better on the second year. Day neutral like Mara Des Boir produce the most fruit on the fist year. On the second year the same plants will still produce but the berries will be smaller. The same will be applied to runners - every new runner will produce smaller and smaller fruit which brings degradation of that population.

They at Nourse don't user runners to propagate, instead they use micro cuts of tissue to start new plants in a lab. They have a video on their website about how they do it. they claim that while other varieties may propagate through runners Mara Des Boir is not suitable for that. That was the reason I posted this question here to see if I could find somebody who has experience growing this variety to share his/her real-life experience.

• alexcm [z6a]
    2 years ago

One thing I have learned is there's somehow an old Houzz thread for any topic, no matter how specific: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2019467/mara-des-bois-strawberry

While the recommendation does seem to be removing runners to increase production, I can't find anything claiming propogated runners will "inherit" the mother plant's age and be less productive.

Personally I'd be a bit suspicious that the only place telling you to buy new plants every year is the place selling the plants... lol 🤔

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida