Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

What will 2021 looks like?

Monyet
2 years ago

It start pretty good till the Polar Vortex came, it creamed my persimmon tree’s big time. It’s like starting all over again. Things are back to normal. Something new? Just figs, ex spending with a few new varieties. Citrus have been excellent so far, more heavy bloom than ever, eliminating some by converting others. Will see what it looks like come harvest time. I am not projecting nothing just going about the normal way of doing my effort with minor improvements.

Comments (41)

• CA Kate z9
    2 years ago

For the first time ever I have Meyer Lemons in several different stages of development. It will be nice to have lemons several times a year instead of all-at-once in January.

And, I have fig trees sprouting up all over the fig tree area. From the leaves it would appear that the Petit Negra's roots are sending up new plants.... at least the leaves appear to be the same. Speaking of which: the biggest one is about 8'tall. Should I cut it back by half to get it to have mutiple lower branches? I really don't want a giant tree that I can't even reach the fruit.

• James _J
    2 years ago

It’s been a good year in my area so far. This is the first time my fig tree had a brebra crop survive in 15 years.

I also tried a new grow light on my kishu mandarin this winter and it set quite a bit more fruit than usual.

I‘ve had a few days hit 90 already so I’m a little worried it’s going to be a extra hot summer.

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    2 years ago

Bob, what varieties are you eliminating?

my citrus are doing great with new growths this year excep for my okitsu and clementine that I won’t replace. They weren,t that great anyway.

more place for other stuffs!

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    2 years ago

My citrus made it thru the Polar Vortex as well. Due to frost blankets and tarps on the greenhouse. The Meyer lost all of it's leaves, but is recovering. However, I lost my Black Mission Fig, and G.E. Neri fig, (both in ground). The Alma fig died back to the ground, but is now a multi-stemmed bush about knee high. All of the pomegranates died back to the ground, but are trying to come back, (some are much slower than others). The Azalea's looked like goners, but I left them as my Aunt suggested, and they are slowly filling back in, and even bloomed on the growth that was below the snow line.

I do have figs on my Panache, but it was in the greenhouse thru the winter.

The "monsoon" we have been having has everything beautifully green, so we are recovering. Just ready for some heat with a bit less humidity!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Amy, Page replaced with Lee/Nova, Cara Cara replaced with Shasta, Shasta and Yosemite are my favorite. Offhand, some of my varieties that lost tags will be marked come fall/Winter. I have a few multiples, so I have my work cut out come January. Will get back with you. Also have 3 Avocado tree’s , I,ll keep an eye on them.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bob. please let me know what is so good about Shasta? That is the one I keep debating on getting and if you can convince me that it's the right choice, I will surely get one )))

My Fig is finally waking up. Funny, last year lots of Breba and this year nothing. Lost a few branches even though I covered it and just leaves coming on. So bummed out about that. I will be planting another one in ground up against my house. Is it too late to do that since it's actively growling in a pot?

Thanks for starting this thread))

All the citrus are outside finally enjoying beautiful sunny warm days except for tomorrow which will be in the forties all day.

The greenhouse is cleaned and I will post pics soon here.

Mike))

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Tried all top tasting mandarins, Golden Nugget and a few more, this one is somewhat boring, all sweet, too sweet. My wife likes them. I enjoy eating Shasta and Yosemite, Shyranui, Lee/Nova. These are some of what I am growing. Also fruits are much bigger.

I am going to do container growing to the next level starting this summer, starting with figs than citrus next January, The Plan!

This is going to be the year of figs, inground and container. Inground will be more lower to the ground, 12” high. Container ? apply better fertilizing between seasons,etc and better pruning.

Just like this Meyer lemon tree.

Jan, what a progress you made, all beautiful trees to say the least. Amy, same way. Pleasure to look at them. This is what makes forums grow. I got to do some catching-up.

Here are the Starters. About 10.

• Jan
    2 years ago

Bob there you are! :) seems like I missed a lot of fruit tree news! So glad you're alright! Bob none of my fig trees are fruiting this year I wonder what happened! Bob I'm trying to cut down my collection tell me what your must haves are :)

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jan, I bought 4 bags of Golden Nugget sinceApril still have a couple on the counter, not impressed, wouldn’t grow one, just very sweet. No oranges, got 2 lemon tree, only need one. Members go nuts about lemons, not worth growing. Plenty in the stores. Lemons go stale in the crisper. My top choice mandarins are plenty good, 4 or 5 Pomelo’s, Valentine and Thong Dee. Plenty good, 18 container trees, plenty for me. Shiranui, Shasta, Yosimity and Lee/Nova are all I need. Got half a dozen new fig varieties. For me, it,s going to be a fig year. Not that I like them all that well.

Jan, this year so far are going crazy with bloom, near all of them are carrying extreme heavy bloom, this does,t mean a damn thing if they all fall of.

I am so proud of you with what you have accomplished. Tops!! Same with Amy, you girl’s are the best. Wish there were a lot more like you, just wishful thinking. I have been on forums way too long, you wouldn’t want to know.......!!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bob, I love what you have to add here, so I am keeping this thread on top too. Tired of hearing about the dam clay expert.lol

Time for real citrus fun and other adventure!!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Mike, you are really trying to get things going, we appreciate it a lot. I am plain wore out trying.

It,s hard to soar like eagles when you flying with a bunch of turkeys.

There are a bunch of girls here that are super, a few have left, Kate, Redneck, Kelly, not to forget, my altime dear friend Laura, they always post good stuff. I respond easily to goooood

stuff.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bob.lololol...I love that concept! Made my day..llolol But true. Keep soaring pal.

• Jan
    2 years ago

Thank you bob!! I am hoping to continue the hobby as it’s kept me in high spirits during dark times :) and so has the thought of coming back to this forum! Love that you are still here along with others with many many trees! Bob have you ever tried growing pawpaw? I’m still trying to find a jabo tree lol bob i just got a Shasta tree it’s tiny but flowering do you think I should leave one fruit to ripen? still no luck with valentine pumello me and Amy have been searching forever it seems! I thought I got one last year only to find out it was a key lime! Bob I can only keep one fig in a container so it can’t be too large of a tree plus my backyard is not overly sunny any recommendations on what fig to get?

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mike, some of the jobs I had, rough people, rough language, it’s all part of life. I made it, retired over 20 years now.

Jan, always good to hear bits and pieces from you. Like Shasta a lot, Lee/Nova too. Yosemite also, Shiranui all great stuff.

Paw paw,s have tons of those, here you to be real choosy, lots of mediocre, it’s not my favorite fruit, mango variety is pretty decent. Should grow on your property, half shade/half sun, just make sure you trim it for size, keep it small and wide if possible.

Figs? No problem, you can grow it easily small and very productive. I grow a few Smith varieties. Tops in my group, but there are others in the top 5.

You really don’t want to start the race to the crazy world of figs. There are a lot of people that don’t care to eat fresh figs. Here is a picture of a very small figtree, just 12” high, from top of pot. Here is a picture of a decent size Smith fig tree.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

lots of covid age spread

I am guilty too

Steve

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bob, what is the name of that fig!!!?? I am getting one asap. I can not believe all the fruit on it for that size. Just that alone would make me happy.

Thank Bob

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

VDS stand for Violette de Soleis. A large fig, not bad tasting. I got a cutting from Martin, fig forum, you know him, great guy, very knowledgeable. He grow this one and a few more. You can ask him if you need more info.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

I am right on it. On the search for that one ))) Thank you. I am assuming nice and sweet.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bob, strange, came up with nothing((

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Heavy bloom, cold, rainy rainy rainy and more rain, not very good for a normal crop come fall. Too bad. Maybe better next year.

• Jan
    2 years ago

Bob same here i always love hearing and learning from you :) oooooh time to get me a smith fig do you prune them each year bob?

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not nessaseraly, you have to create a picture how you want that tree to look like, like bushy, tall , short, how much room do you have. For me, i prefer not more than 4 or 5 feet tall. 15 gl is pretty good, 12 gl wide(squat) c container is very good also. I use very coarse perlite, make my own concoction and fertilizer. What is your zone?

• Jan
    2 years ago

Bob im in zone 8a in vancouver bc! we get very mild summers here so something that doesnt need a lot of heat to ripen would be good! i just want lots of fruits :)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    2 years ago

Good figs for cool summer (maritime) areas:

'Desert King': Large fruit with slightly mottled white spots on deep green skin covering strawberry-red pulp.

'White Marseilles' (a.k.a. 'Lattarula'): Lemon-color skin and yellow to amber flesh.

'Conadria' (a.k.a. 'Canadria'): Green skin and pink-yellow flesh, mildly sweet.

'Osborne Prolific': Purple to brown skin with amber flesh. "Really good tasting," according to Ed Laivo.

'Violette de Bordeaux': Purple to black skin with strawberry-color flesh, considered productive.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The variaties i grow now are,Smith,Chicago hardy, Stella, Desert king, Negronne , a few more.

My new ones, Moscatel Preto, Bourjasotte Grise, Red Labanese, BV . These are top choices, but there more to choose from. knowledgeble friends i get these varieties is a lot of help.

when they are tops for them, they are tops in my book. I am in zone 7a. Come winter, they go in the garage, these are the ones i care a lot.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bob, such great info. I can not even begin to tell you how much you open up my eyes to so many possibilities. Thank you for sticking around for it is a great blessing to have you back))

I have yet to post a couple trees. Been so busy of taking care of Mom these days. I will soon.

Bob, going to order a Osborne Prolific once I can get cash together. My kind of tree)

Dave, so good to know. It will help me to decide which ones to grow for my area without wasting my money or time. Appreciate that)

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cuttings i got last spring, 2020 are getting a good start. might get some to try, if not, next year for sure, wishful thinking.

more stuff to try out for figs and citrus. very large perlite and Hapy Gro.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Looking good. I was thinking of using that perlite too. The cuttings are looking big.

Will you be mixing the bag of compost too? I never thought of doing that, Fig trees just might be happier.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mike, Violette de bordeaux ( Negronne ) is better in my opinion. i can send you all the cuttings you desire. I have discard a bunch fig tree,s i don,t care for.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bob, would like that truly. I was just looking at those too and I just can't afford one right now but have always wanted to try that one.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just get a Smith, be done! i wish i could send Jan and Amy stuff what i grow, across the border, what a pain.

• Jan
    2 years ago

Ooooh so much to note down!! thank you dave and bob! dave im going to research each one! which one is your favourite?

bob how i wish i lived closer to you or atleast on the same side of the border so we can not only swap cuttings but you could teach me to fish always wanted tk learn! not to mention trying a jabo for the first time! are smiths good in cool climates bob? i know people have different preferences some like real fig taste some like suuuuper sweet and gooey i love the sickly sweet honey types! i always just buy at costco since i dont grow any of my own but im going to look into the violette variety ! bob how do you root fig cuttings?

mike say hi to your mom for me hugs!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

covid 19 will mutate aphids to 590 pound monsters

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The 2 things you have to worry about are rains and to a lesser point is heat. If you live in an area with longer summers than me, 7a, i would still try it.. Rooting figs is easier than grafting hard woods. 77* or higher, damp peat, not wet, clear plastic cup or smal clear container so that you can observe root growt. small heatmat helps a lot. You can also stick a fresh cutting this time of the year in your yard, cover with a mason jar, so it stays put and not fall over.

Steve, you are right, i saw with my own eyes a couple in my yard. they seem friendly but one just eat my cat.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Just saying love you all!

Been dealing with family issues here but wanted to stop by. I won't ghost you like many others have. You are a bunch of good friends. I will be back to catch up soon. Keep going))

• hibiscus909
    2 years ago

I feel so left out, since i have no fig trees.

• Jan
    2 years ago

Lol steve!!!!

bob thank you! i will try what you suggested! i have peters honey fig cutting tbat was given to me recently so i will do that later tonight! and keep you updated!

mike i hope you and your family are alright. keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hibiscus, do don’t feel bad, i don,t have a hibiscus plant, can always add.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jan, took a picture of my Jaboticaba a couple days ago, it it,s going into heavy bloom now. The tree does this 4 times a year, but 3 is normal.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bob, is the fruit worth it and why?

Jan, I appreciate your kindness. It means a lot. I have some figs starting to fruit and it's about time)