Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliff321

Help me please with a term

cliff321
2 years ago

I want to know what the terms are that I should be using to describer the ribbon and the d folded strips of webbing through which the ribbon is woven and the flap that protects the skin of the wearer's back underneath the ribbon. Also is there a better way to describe the plunging line you see other than calling it a "plunging line"?

Thx

Comments (16)

• cliff321
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks.

• shadylady2u
    2 years ago

The flap would be a placket. In this case I would call the plunging line a low back dress. Not sure there is another term for it. What you're calling folded strips of webbing are just fabric loops.

cliff321 thanked shadylady2u
  • tozmo1
    2 years ago

Yep, that's it. Very pretty dress, I like the contrasting lace.

cliff321 thanked tozmo1
  • cliff321
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I called that embroidery is lace a better term?

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Hard to tell for sure from the pic but it could definitely be embroidery too. Either way, it's lovely.

• kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

Ribbon embroidery maybe.

• wednesday morning
    2 years ago

Yes, that is a corset back. It is a popular design element in many women clothes and, if you seriously weigh and consider the fact that indicates a female in a state of undress.......

not to be a prude, but just to point out that so many things about how we dress a young woman up to be "given away" have much over looked meaning

Just saying, that's all. This is just my personal observation and my own conclusions.

I, personally, welcome a different approach to marriage and weddings in the face of the fact that young women have come to the fore of our society and are no longer in need of being given away while dressed in a symbol of both purity and sexuality.

I, for one, am pleased to see change in this outdated notion.

So many wedding dresses seem undistinguishable from one another.

But it is a corset backing and is meant to symbolize a glimpse of the under garments and to be provocative It is as if Scartlett Ohara is still getting dressed and her maid servant is still pulling those ties tighter. Although these ties are likely to be faux and not really meant to be functional and Scarlett would have worn another garment on top of her corset.

You see the same feature incorporated in many other womens garments, too, mostly in those that are meant to be revealing

I am just saying, that's all.

I sewed my daughters wedding dress and it was one much like all the rest. As I was building it , in occurred to me to ask just why was this thing built with so much more infrastructure than any other garment. Why all of that archeticture and scaffolding under that dress? Some of them can stand up on their own! And, they will be worn only once for less than a full day!

If I had it to do over, I would take a different approach. I have given it much thought and consideration since then and now have an entirely different view of the world and of the things that we take for granted without much real consideration as to just why.

Some would claim that is all about tradition. Traditions do change.

It is sobering when your child gets married and you realize that you are no longer considered to be their next of kin. And, if decisions need to be made for your grown child, that will fall to the discretion of their married partner, not mom or dad. Marriage is more than symbolic. It is social structure.

It really is NOT all about the dress.

I find it odd that some other cultures have come to imitate our social symbols and the white wedding dress has become popular all over the world and throughout different cultures despite being entirely a western and European inspired tradition. A man's suit is probably another example of our cultural identifies being adopted by others.

• H B
    2 years ago

It is interesting when life events generate a lot of introspection. Hopefully whatever dress is chosen, makes the wearer feel special on such an important day.

• cliff321
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Oh I'm not selecting a dress. But If I were getting hitched I'd definitely show her that one. I chose that dress to be the one I described in a piece I'm writing.

• colleenoz
    2 years ago

"if you seriously weigh and consider the fact that indicates a female in a state of undress"

But historically it was the normal way to close a dress for outer wear to closely fit it before the corset was invented.

• wednesday morning
    2 years ago

Seriousy, still that style mixes purity with sexual fantasy, no matter how old a technique it might be to lace a garment closed.

• c t
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

That style was all the rage - ten years ago when I still worked at a bridal shop. (I mention this in case the OP thinks this style is new or current. It isn't)

The reason a properly constructed strapless dress stands up on its own is that without the structure, the interfacing, boning, waist stay, it simply doesn't stay up. A dress of that style *isn't* just suspended from the bust. Its firm, unyielding structure at the waist means it can't slide down. The hips stop it.

I went to a wedding some years ago, and the MIL built the bride's dress. I'm certain MIL meant well, telling the bride the dress "ought to be comfortable." Unfortunately, the lovely bride spent the entire afternoon clutching the bodice of her gown, which quite obviously did not fit closely enough and didn't have the structure to stay in place. In spite of the intentions, she was not 'comfortable.'

Although the days of strapless-ness have passed me by...The first strapless dress I made was supposed to be comfortable. The *second* strapless dress I made for myself had the necessary underpinnings.

• wednesday morning
    2 years ago

yes, I do understand the purpose of using the boning in the bodice of a strapless gown, and I did use it for daughters dress.

I dont understand why not just have a dress with a sleeve.

why so many things that add complications when there are better ways that are just as worthy and just as beautiful?

I wish I had done differently when I make that dress and advocated for something that made more sense. I kept thinking the whole time that this is crazy.

I looked at some very expensive designer dresses at a designer venue and those dresses could stand on the floor as it there was a person inside of them!

All of that to be worn for most of one day!!! that just makes no sense.

guess I am not a fan of these kinds of things, at all.

I welcome a change in this entire wedding process and really could not care any less if I never have to attend another. but, they are often a time for family to have a get together, so that might be one advantage.

We have one scheduled for next spring for a nephew. Because they had to cancel and postpone due to the virus, they are now going to have a reception and are expecting a baby who will be only a few months old. That might be interesting. Sure there will be no overly built wedding dress.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

The flowers on the dress would be lace appliques. I like the appliques, but not the ribbon. I think a color more cooridinating or complementary to the appliques would look nicer than the black ribbon.

• colleenoz
    2 years ago

I think the ribbon just looks black because it isn't well lighted, but it's actually maroon the same shade as the lace applique.