Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjriver

Refacing question epoxy vs veneer on honey oak cabinets?

Kjones
2 years ago

Hi everyone I have received two quotes from two different companies. They are about the same cost but their method is different. One is offering to use epoxy to fill/hide the oak grain the other wants to use 1/4” veneer to cover the oak frames. Is one method better for long lasting results?

Comments (8)

• klem1
    2 years ago

You leave so many loose ends and things to chance I'm convinced you don't have a clear understanding of what they are doing. For instance,are both replacing doors? With what? New hinges or reuse existing? Are they painting or staining 1/4" veneer? After grain has been filled with epoxy,then what? Back up,slow down and get everything in writing so that you know and understand EXACTLY what each contractor is doing. As it stand's,I wouldn't venture a guess which is better.

• Kjones
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I agree I should definitely get both in writing. Both are saying new soft close hidden hinges and full extension dove tail drawer boxes but neither mentioned the material of the new door fronts. The veneer would be spray painted offsite at the same time as the new doors. Something about with two nozzles a catalyst paint that hardens quickly. So again I agree with you I need to slow down and understand the process better. Thank you

• jdesign_gw
    2 years ago

None of what you are saying makes sense.

• Kjones
    Original Author
    2 years ago

is it the paint part that is not making sense? that is what the sales rep said to me which may be pure bs. That is why I am posting here since I know there are lots of people out there with a lot more knowledge on this than what I have. I’m almost thinking it makes a lot more sense just to purchase new cabinets since I do not fully understand the refacing process

• klem1
    2 years ago

I often upset and anger people when I point out how little thought they put into their projects and consequently the questions they ask here. I'd like to think a few get the point and adoupt better stratage after settling down. I'm not trying to make a fool of you,just trying to incourage using common sense to arive at decisions instead of inviting strangers to make important decisions for you.

You will be faced with similar issues when replacing. That's to say there's lots of cheap looking and poorly constructed cabinets for sale and choosing them can be challanging. What do you not like about the present cabinets? Rate each isssue 1=can't live with it any longer 2= It's not a biggy but I can afford to change it to something I like better 3= I was ok with it until I watched Joanna Gains transform a home and I like the idea of change.

Now tell me what you want the cabinets to look like like. Not how you think it should be done,just tell me what you want to see when walking into the kitchen.

• klem1
    2 years ago

I agree with ^^ LiveWire. Like many things today,home improvement contractors hire better salesmen than tradesmen and that's not something that can be overcome on web forums. . I've filled a lot of Oak Grain and seen much more that had been filled but never once with epoxy. Not saying it can't be done,simply saying it's overkill and needless expense unless neccessary for chemical resistance , wear or other unique reason.

• Kjones
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Klem1 I actually appreciate your questions and comments. It didn’t upset me at all. I specifically asked the company who is using the veneer if they spray it in my home. The salesman said no they spray them offsite at the same time as the doors. After you asked me those questions I went to their website to see if I could find more clarification and see the pictures of them spraying the frames onsite. The company that is using epoxy told me they were the only ones in the state who use the process that they use and the only ones who can truly hide the oak grain. So that was already a turn off .

Livewire I agree it’s all a good sales pitch especially for someone like me who doesn’t understand so it all sounds great lol

Veneer company

Epoxy company

• klem1
    2 years ago

I hate to say it but you don't have a question,you have countless questions that open the door for even more. Noone can teach you over the net how to out manuver people with years of training on their side. It bothered me from the begining why veneer would be applied on a face frame just to turn around and paint it. Now you show me statments supposedly from a contractors web site saying they don't use veneer and that bother's me even more to hear that. I equate using that statement in their ad to a donut shop advertising they don't run around their shop while saying ten Hail Marys every time it thunders. UNLESS the other shop is their one and only competetor and even then I find it strange. Agin,I appoligize but this conversation started out not making much sense and hasn't got better. I'm giving up to go lay down and clear my head. Good luck to you.