Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dollerchauhan

Please suggest pillow colors and accent chairs for it to look balance

dollerchauhan
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I need some suggestions on what throw pillow colors should I add to this sectional so it flows with painting and there is balance. I want to change the accent chairs and pillows. Please help. The picture of my living is in comments.

Comments (53)

• User
    2 years ago

I think it matters whether you want the vibe of the room to have a jolt of energy, or whether you want to continue with a moody or a very organic nature feeling. Does someone in that room see other spaces with color that your future pillows need to be in harmony with?

• User
    2 years ago

Bit of a jolt

Kosas Home Joie Elise Embroidered 18" Throw Pillow, Orange · More Info

I’d turn this next one sideways

Dayna DYA-003 Pillow Cover, Coral/Camel, 22"x22", Pillow Cover Only · More Info

Red Spring Pillow Cover Karla Gerard Accent Hand Embroidered Wool 18x18 · More Info

Serenity, organic

Kenley Pillow Blue/Brown · More Info

Brown And Sky Blue Swirl Accent Throw Pillow Cover 16"x16" · More Info

Ikat in Brown and Blue Throw Pillow · More Info

• Sidgirl K
    2 years ago

Orange or blue (any shade, from light to dark--you could match the shade[s] in the painting or the carpet). Yellow, if you don't like orange.

It's a lovely room/couch!

I'm not sure what sort of style you're going for; if you have some thoughts on how you want it to look, that would help when it comes to new accent chairs.

• User
    2 years ago

INK+IVY Novak Lounge Chair, Taupe · More Info

Unique Cut Out Pattern In Oak Veneer Wood Chair With Gray Seat & Pillowback · More Info

Remy Lounge Accent Chair, Gray · More Info

Newport Lounge Chair, II110-0391 · More Info

With this last one you’d need some pillows of the same colortone and depth on the sofa

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for suggestions and pictures, I dont mind having some jolt so it will show transitional . I was thinking the painting is not balanced with the colors on the sectional and so wanted to add some colors. Not sure if adding black and brown would solve it. With the accent chairs, I wanted to keep them modern but have a transitional look for the living room. So wondering if grey accent chairs would look good or brown ones 🤔

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the open kitchen view that you see from the sectional.

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is an open space on the wall next to painting and I am still trying to figure out what I can do with it and still have a balance with the painting in living and pillows for a transitional look.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

It‘s difficult to pin down the colors on my screen..wondering if wall has a green hue and if sectional is grey or cream; so hope my suggestions work.

I think the rug is really making it hard to coordinate the space, style and color wise, and if budget allowed I would change; then decide on chairs (or keep yours) and new cushions. Rug should pull the art, cushions and chairs together. Note how cushions are grouped below also vs being spread out. The 3 chair styles below might work well.

• Cris S
    2 years ago

I would definitely move the sectional—one part on the wall and the other where the chairs are and put the chairs in front of the window.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Move the sectional away from the window and at least entertain the idea of having the chairs by the windows.

I would also add drapery panels at the windows and a tall plant.

As for pillows, it all depends on whether you want to accentuate the blue or the earthtones in the rug.

dollerchauhan thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

can you do this and take a picture for us?

Position everything like this. grab a sofa table and put like shown. get a plant in the corner.

it looks off balance because you have everything shoved over against the window. let the back of the sofa line up where I have the red line. basically rotate the sofa a 1/4 turn clockwise.

like these

if you must keep it as is (at least try it first), then do what they've done here. move the sofa away from the window a bit, get something to put on against the wall like this tall book case, put a tall plant in the corner,,,let things breathe a bit

dollerchauhan thanked Beth H. :
  • freedomplace1
    2 years ago

Your picture appears dark (at least on my screen).

This might help to show art colors, rug colirs, etc. a bit better.

I am thinking either a gold/tan or a charcoal - but not very dark charcoal grey - on chairs.

dollerchauhan thanked freedomplace1
  • dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for comments and suggestions its super helpful, let me take a picture from different angle. I have tv on the opposite wall(which is not as long)so I cant move sectional too much outside as tv alignment will be off. But I am happy to change the position of chairs and sectional to see how it looks and also move it out little more out. Will share another picture once I move things.

• User
    2 years ago

Now that I see your kitchen area I would pick accent chairs that are boldly dark-and-light, something abstract, not floral. And I would alternate dark and light solid pillows on the sofa, with only one or two (if any) pillows with prints or color pops

These are not the right chairs but I’d be looking in this direction

Furniture of America Ammie Fabric Upholstered Accent Chair in Black and White · More Info

29"W Sia Occasional Chair Solid Wood Woven Rattan · More Info

Mudcloth Black & White Side Chair · More Info

Draven Rattan Tub Chair, Earth Tone Brown · More Info

Celena Fabric Accent Chair, Dark Brown · More Info

dollerchauhan thanked User
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Actually very pretty room and open space. I would not add pillows. Your art needs to be about 2-3” lower. Let your art and rug be your color. They are great. Just add a black lacquered tray to your ottoman with accent accessories and remove the throw to a basket. Then add tall 6’ good quality plant at end of sectional. That’s all you need. A couple of ceiling tiles floor neutral drapery panels would give a more finished look.

dollerchauhan thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Auto correct gone mad. I typed ceiling to floor not ceiling tiles!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Here is option. Having done that, I think a better arrangement could be flipping the room so your TV is on the long wall and you could better utilize the entire space. Turn sectional and place one end facing windows while other side faces TV. You would also have a separation from eating area but still lines of sight to the TV from eating area and kitchen. Then art on wall opposite where it is now. Chairs by windows and drapery panels each side of windows. I can try this on my layout boards for you later today if of interest.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Btw, I like your accent chairs. Low chairs are perfect and the legs add black and their scale seems perfect with your sectional.

• lulu bella
    2 years ago

I adore that Dayna one from the first suggestion group! That is beautiful and it does come in other sizes.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

If you can‘t move sectional down enough, something like below would help balance that wall and also provide more personality/interest.

dollerchauhan thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Just flipped photo to give you idea of room flipped. I am going to see if sectional could turn one more time so away from windows and create a small drop zone behind that back side of sectional. A low black cabinet could provide additional storage and a spot for a lamp possibly.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

It’s different than my “flip” because I couldn’t technically do it with the photos posted so far. But imagine the “lines of sight”. Instead of looking at furniture from eating/kitchen area you would have view of TV. That might not be important to you but I see it as working well. You gain maybe 3-5 Sq feet of useable space this way. 😊

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

If you could post how long each wall is I can verify my layout. Also length sectional.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

It's OK if you don't want to do this, just offering ideas. No pressure.

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much Flo Mangan, I totally want to try it out and see how it feels, I will send you all dimensions shortly

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flo Mangan, my sectional is 11×11ft the wall with tv is 10ft long. The long wall with the painting is 21ft. My rug is 8×11 ft. I appreciate the ideas.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Ok. That’s bigger so I will see how that works. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

One more question. How long is window wall? This is big space!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Guess that ottoman is 48 x 48?

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Window wall is 15ft 4 inch and ottoman is 50 ×50

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Ok thanks. I will get on it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Ok. This is accurate scale drawing. This works. The only downside is transportation around sectional to sit down or go to kitchen. But the big gain is in getting much more space utilization. Your rug has to run the 11’ length from TV to short wall. You could use a slightly larger rug (9 x 12 or 12 x 12 square) but this works. You could layer in rug under chairs such as an animal zebra black and white if you wish. This also might give room for a low piece behind the kitchen end of the layout. Enjoy. (Get some “sliders” to move furniture easy! If you don’t already have some. Lowe’s has them.).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Oh, I also put a small bench on long wall with basket for shoes. Then your art goes over it. If this works for you, we can figure out wall art for over sofa. Something modern and maybe metal. Organic.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

The basket could be sized to slide under bench to tuck shoe or other items away.

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much Flo Mangan, appreciate all your help.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

So fun! You are welcome.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Just checking in to see if you have made any progress?

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Didnt see this until now, I wasnt able to move the tv wall position as I dont have electric point on the long wall for tv. I did turned the sectional outside. I need to reposition the wall art to center with sectional. This is how it looks with it now. I still havent got a plant thats pending too

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have two 6ft high faux plants where do you think they should go? i still need to center the wall art with the sectional and will mount a white console under the tv. Need to figure out furniture for area next to the sectional as I am going to move the console accent table and want to put something else there. Also need to get some planter stands to add my plants in the living. Any help with decor is appreciated.

• User
    2 years ago

Are you planning to position the console against the back of the sofa? suggest putting a lamp or two on it

Natural Light Vine Wood Lamp · More Info

Or a pair

Perret 4-Light Aged Brass Table Lamp · More Info

i suggest turning the rug the other way and pushing the ottoman right up against the end seat of the sofa closest to the window. Take the tree out of the corner and put an end table there. suggest giving guests facing the window snack tables

Delia Handle Side Table - Black, Gold · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Put the console behind back of sofa. And pull everything toward the walkway leaving 4’ of space for walk thru.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

flo, why cant that one part of the sofa go under the windows? rotate counter clockwise.

to me, this just looks so odd. like people sitting on the sofa looking at the window like a group of sentinels!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

It will be great when sectional is in proper place. I will do mock up after our dinner. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

OK. Here is my vision of how this room can look and function.

• dollerchauhan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Flo Mangan. you have been super helpful. I wish I was able to use the long wall for tv but this one also looks great.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Glad to do it. So I put a larger rug in. Look for one that sits under most of your furniture. Probably 10 x 14’. But don’t go as far as into the walkway. I moved your art piece. A floor lamp like this one will provide both reading light and ambient lighting when watching TV. I think your current chairs will fit where I placed these chairs. I just didn’t have good photo of front of your so plugged those in instead. See how it works.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Oh, your plants aren’t tall enough, so corner ones when placed in an elevated pot gives you the height you need on that side and a lower plant in a stand should fit your other plant but it should be about 18” lower than taller one. The lamp on the console should be easy to see through and above. Here are a few.