Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilykate7a

If I registered a daylily this year, it would be called Noah’s Ark

lilykate7a
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I don’t think we have ever had a rain event like this-two weeks of rain-torrential rain, wind, thunderstorms, flooding, road closures, bridges collasping, trees falling due to saturated soil. I have not had a window of no rain to see my daylilies in two days (which is minor in comparison to above situations). So, I put on my rain jacket and boots today to walk about in the rain to see what I missed today. It was a lot. Most were total washouts but interesting to see what did hold up. This was around five o’clock in the afternoon after hard rains all day.

Interesting a red would hold up well but this one has great substance

Blackberry Dragon-blooms beaten down but holding color well

Blackberry Dragon showing the great color-even drenched

Lady Dragon-this new one has been top notch

FFO-held up pretty well-is a huge bloom

My bee pollen purple shows red tones

Butter Cream-what a monster bloom-kinda ragged from the rain but looking good

SC Francis Busby-has a tree branch hanging over it so protected a little

Linda Sierra-rains beat the scapes apart and you can see a scape of the one behind it lying on the ground-I saw a lot like that

Comments (12)

• organic_kitten
    2 years ago

Okay some are labeled, but what is the yellow? I see It Plays In Peoria. It is a nice big one, isn't it. What is the nice one with the fine white edge under it? Is the red one Kara Louise? I really like the one above It Plays.. etc...what is it. It is very pretty! what about the big dark, dark, dark one? I suspect it matches your mood with all tis rain, but I like your name choice. Noah's Ark....fitting.

kay

• lilykate7a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A few more. Rain tonight and tomorrow so I have no idea whether I will see any tomorrow.

Kierabel

Heartbeat of Heaven would have been fabuous-bloom was fully 8 inches!

Fear Not-first blooms open today

Florence Denny-8-9 inch blooms-gorgeous even after being beaten up

A noid I saved from being dumped-I literally took it out of the throw away cart at a big box store and they gave it to me-has shown to be one of the most sunfast reds I have

• lilykate7a
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You were too fast Kay! I have to edit and go back to add info-one of Houzz quirks when I do this on my phone-will not let me post above my frames-I think they are all edited now. The other big purple is just a closeup of Blackberry Dragon

• shive
    2 years ago

What a lot of rain you've had recently. These daylilies really stood up to the wet weather. Red Heat and Blackberry Dragon are really impressive. I like your red NOID.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    2 years ago

Florence Denny is a lovely soft shade. Such big blooms are especially susceptible to downpours.

• Julia WV (6b)
    2 years ago

Goodness Kate you are one brave person to go out. I like Butter Cream bloom. Big and bold even after being beaten up. Lady Dragon continues to strut its stuff. Nice group.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    2 years ago

A LadyDragon daylily is going to have to come to live in my garden! All of your lovely posts of it show it so well, rain and if they survive at all in rain, what could be better?. I really like it and know where it will go. Like I needed that. Heartbeat of Heaven is another beauty. I can't wait to see what you put up when it clears....and it will! Of course, you have already cursed me with the necessity to find Spirit fox (and I have but haven't bought it yet but will and shortly since Bright Orange daylilies make my heart beat faster. A free sunfast red is never to be ignored.

kay

• lilykate7a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Debra, I don’t even know how much rain has come down. I have a five gallon bucket sitting in the middle of my backyard that is overflowing!

Julia, no bravery involved as no lightning involved!! Only danger was in sinking up to my knees in mud!! To put this in perspective, my lawn is not low lying so when the ground is saturated this much, we have had a lot of rain. I wanted to look at the blooms as I have many new ones that I fear I may not see bloom. My new bed has an area of clay and I am concerned about some sitting in water now. I love big yellow blooms and Butter Cream makes my heart sing!’

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

Great to have some troopers like these. Blackberry Dragon is my favorite of the bunch. Great color.

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    2 years ago

With the weather it's always too much or too little. You have had too much and we haven't had enough. It's threatening rain every day, but then all we get is a drizzle. Our ground is pretty dry.

Still, you have some pretty blooms in that mess. I am impressed with Red Heat and Blackberry Dragon. Your bee pollen purple is lovely too. I also like SC Frances Busby. Your noid is nice too. That was certainly a lucky find.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

You are a trooper kate! some pretty blooms here despite the weather. i sure wish you could share that rain, we have drought conditions here. i never had to hand water in May or June til this year

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Brad. I love that one too! Nancy, such true words about the weather! No one is happy all the time. Almost ninety percent of my photos this year have raindrops on the bloom!! :) After this rain stops, I probably won’t see rain for two months! Sherry, I cannot imagine having to hand water!