Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dana_jokovich

help with kitchen!

Dana Jokovich
2 years ago

We are being challenged with how to remodel our kitchen! We definitely want to get rid of the stationary wall desk. We are wanting a decent sized island, and if we can’t have that than some sort of breakfast nook along with smaller island! Any opinions are appreciated, thank you!

Comments (26)

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We have thought about an “L” shaped island and not having kitchen table, or extending aisle long ways and making a nook in that unused corner 🤷‍♀️

• millworkman
    2 years ago

You need to post a scaled floor plan with all dimensions filled in for the best help.

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is current

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Current kitchen

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I don't think you can have a wider island unless you move the desk wall back, which would mean moving the plumbing for the PR. You could incorporate stud-bay storage in the new wall, and use a range, or put the wall ovens beside the fridge. Are you able to fully open the fridge door on the right side?

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are definitely thinking of relocating PR to laundry, the laundry area is way too big in my opinion. The refrigerator is not in a great place now because it’s right next go doorway entering laundry room

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We would also like to move range cook top to island facing out

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

That will make it more difficult to vent. Better to put a prep sink on the island, since we spend more time prepping items than actually cooking them.

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

• megs1030
    2 years ago

At first glance, your LR is very big… which is great for some, but would be way bigger than my need as a family of 4 and I’m assuming your need as a family of 3. If you can put a PR in there, that should open up a range of possibilities to make your island larger and perhaps tuck a walk-in pantry in that spot. But, I’m not a pro and not aware of the effects of that on your budget.

• megs1030
    2 years ago

I would not move your range top to the island. You’d need a hood in the middle of the kitchen and it would make sitting at the island while someone is cooking rather difficult.

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your advice, we have 3 littles but in no way need that large of a laundry space 😂

• megs1030
    2 years ago

@Dana Jokovich, I don’t know why I thought you were a family of 3. Must have mixed you up with another thread!

• JN1355
    2 years ago

My kids are now 10, 8, 7, and 4yo and I never have enough mudroom storage in my combination mudroom/laundry room. If that room is off the garage (which I think it is) I would definitely keep the large laundry room and have it double as a mudroom. A place for coats, shoes, backpacks, etc.

I totally understand wanting to keep the island. I just don't know that I see a big island in your kitchen... If you take it into the "eat-in" area and remove the eat in table, I'm afraid you are limiting the walkway to your covered porch. I wouldn't want to have to walk all the way around the island there... the dining table makes more sense to me and keeps that walkway open.

All in all I really like your current layout and would keep your appliances exactly where they are. I would probably keep the island small and turn it the other direction so it is parallel to the cooktop wall. I agree with ditching the desk, but it's a decent space for something. I would do a coffee bar area with an undercounter beverage fridge or even better, floor to ceiling pantry cabinets. That storage would be awesome! You can do a smaller depth of 15" or go with 24" depth w roll out shelves.

FWIW, I'm not a designer, just a mom who has spent way too many hours analyzing her own kitchen layout.

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So you think relocating the PR and making island wider will throw off a centered look, we will have this space where the current kitchen racks is now?

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Or extending the island a little (so it wouldn’t get in way of walkway to porch. Do you think that corner area by doors is too small for a breakfast nook if looks like in the drawings that’s what it was meant for originally 🤷‍♀️...the corner space with no cabinets next to door...only one door opens the other is just a stationary door

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

So, if you move the PR into the current laundry space, you can have an even wider island, and improved traffic flow from the garage:

• JN1355
    2 years ago

I think the powder room will be really far from the living room. You would have to walk through the kitchen. Right now is centrally located.

• JN1355
    2 years ago

Could you change the door to the covered porch to be off the living room wall? That way you could run your kitchen all the way down the wall and make that island mimic that long kitchen wall. I know there's a bend in the wall, so you would probably have to deal with that, but would make that space perfect for a generous island.

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JN1355 that is a VERY good point, I'll ask about that, so your saying extend cabinets all down that wall (that would not have a door on it) and run island long wise to match?

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mama goose_gw zn6OH so if you flipped the island horizontal what would you do with that dead space next to the desk wall and where current kitchen table is?

• JN1355
    2 years ago

Yes exactly! And since you have a formal dining room, I think it’s totally ok to let go of the eat-in area and incorporate it into the kitchen.

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JN1355 and you would do seating on the side where doors used to be and at the end? Sorry I've never done a kitchen reno so I'm just trying to visualize lol!

• JN1355
    2 years ago

I think you would have to see how it plays out in the design phase... what the dimensions look like and go from there.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

@mama goose_gw zn6OH so if you flipped the island horizontal what would you do with that dead space next to the desk wall and where current kitchen table is? If you mean horizontal to the cooktop wall, there is still space for the table, and I suggested stud-bay storage on the bathroom/desk wall. There would be doors, similar to tall pantry doors, but storage would be shallow--the depth of the wall framing. (Houzz/stud-bay storage)

If you extend the kitchen into the nook, and turn the island, you could use the nook space to recess a full-depth fridge, although you'd have some dead space behind it. I think the bathroom wall would still need to move back, for sufficient aisle space:

• Dana Jokovich
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mama goose_gw zn6OH thank you so much so many great ideas I had not thought of!

• JN1355
    2 years ago

Brilliant! Love this idea of the recessed fridge ❤️