Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fayewolfie

Built in shelves dilemma with fireplace

Faye Chu
2 years ago

I absolutely hate them but don’t want to waste a ton of money on it. I want to be able to watch TV in this room because it just make sense.

How can I make this happen ?? I don’t know what is under the shelves so completely gutting it might require more work for the floors than i would like to spend. Painting it white will make it more tolerable but I still can’t figure out where to put the TV.
Help!!

Can I turn it into somewhat like picture 2??other ideas??

Comments (11)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Your TV looks too wide to fit on either side of the FP, and the ceiling is too low to do anything like the tall stone inspopic. Is it possible to move the sofa to the other side of the room and put the TV there? We really are seeing only one wall of your room, so you've limited our vision and the many possibilities we might come up with. Please circle the room clockwise from where you took that photo, shooting the opposite wall so we can see the room. Also try to get a shot that shows most of the room in one view.

• Faye Chu
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the diff angles! West facing window
    I don’t use the fireplace , we have 2 other ones abs happy to block it

• Laura Mouse
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

With a TV that large, I think you have to mount it on top of the fireplace. I see a view out that window, so you already have two focal points for the room. Any chance that fireplace wall is an outer wall and windows on either side would provide even more view more opportunities? Something like this (which has the same general shape as your fireplace)?

Clifford Residence · More Info

Even without windows, I like the alcove/bench idea in your inspiration photo. Pitch the built-in shelves and add the bench/alcoves while redoing the fireplace mantle to something more simpler like in the photo I have and it will be quite elegant.

• Faye Chu
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No view on that wall, I reckon making it to an alcove might not be too expensive ??

• Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

To be a cynic, why not get a smaller tv and put it in the space designed for it next to the fireplace. Use the big one somewhere else.

• Laura Mouse
    2 years ago

An alcove would be cheaper than new built-ins.

You could just mount the TV on top of what you currently have and try painting your built-ins, but ripping them out would allow you to mount the TV lower which is better ergonomically (TV's should be eye-level to sitting). The little column details and trim bits make the built-ins a little busy for me, though.

I've been told that built-ins add re-sell value, but if they aren't working with how you want to use the room, they should go. I think the alcove/benches in your inspiration photo add value becuase they give the room space to breath, but people seem to need a lot of storage these days.

You could float some shelves high up in the alcove, but those can be expensive too. Here are a few inspirations:

Fireplace tile with new benches and floating shelves · More Info

Sherbourne Circle · More Info

Cosmetic updates on 1980s home · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

With west facing windows there'll be lots of glare if you watch TV in the daytime. I think the idea of a smaller TV that will fit where the cabinetry is designed for it will look better. If you put it on a swivel base or an articulated arm, it can be adjusted to swing away from the windows.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Next time you photograph the room turn the phone sideways so we can see the total room. I pieced your room together the best I could.

This arrangement will work and allow you to have an even larger TV screen. If glare is an issue then purchase either film for the windows or bronze solar screens to cut the glare.

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    2 years ago

It looks like you might be able to just pop that TV on top of where the fireplace is and do something like this set up. Perhaps this design will aid you with this dilemma.

High-End Residence · More Info

High-End Residence · More Info

• Faye Chu
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the diff anglesptob with mine is that my wall is very short (so the TV would be super high), I can’t even do a mantle mount because it is like a foot away from the front of the fireplace