Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llitm

Do you wrap your checked bags....

llitm
2 years ago

and, if so, do you have a plastic wrap or perhaps another product you'd recommend?

Comments (38)

• Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

I never have, but I haven't checked a bag in years. I'll be following to see other answers.

llitm thanked Fun2BHere
  • graywings123
    2 years ago

I don't and never have. I would imagine TSA would look at a wrapped suitcase as a challenge and cut that plastic wrap open.

llitm thanked graywings123
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

No and I never really understood it. My girls have brand new Steamline luggage which they avoid checking, but it comes with a drawstring cotton bag to protect it. For my luggage, it's too late!

PS We *always* get compliments on Steamline, and I always think of Robo, who recommended it here.

llitm thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • JJ
    2 years ago

No. What would be the purpose? Please dont tell me you check your LV luggage...!

I think the TSA cuts them open if they are all wrapped up like that, no?

llitm thanked JJ
  • PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Saw this at airport, LOL (jmho), and snuck a pic b/c I thought it was so funny.

When I travel, do all I can to avoid checking bag; checked once in past 10 years.

llitm thanked MDLN
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Never would occur to me as it would send up all kinds of flags imo.

llitm thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

What is the intended purpose of wrapping in plastic? Isn't the luggage the wrapping around the "stuff" inside? Is the luggage now "stuff" needing protection from something?

llitm thanked Olychick
  • deegw
    2 years ago

If there is something in the bag that pings the scanner, TSA will open it and they aren't obligated to re-wrap it.

One of my kids received a candle-making kit for Christmas which we packed in her luggage. The glycerin triggered all kinds of TSA red flags.

llitm thanked deegw
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Is the luggage now "stuff" needing protection from something?

Yes, that is the irony of fancy luggage, says the lady whose luggage has white leather trim.

llitm thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • IdaClaire
    2 years ago

Never. Have traveled domestically and internationally by commercial air many times and it never once occurred to me to do so. What IS the point of the wrapping? I've never had luggage so precious that it couldn't stand a bit of baggage-handler roughhousing, and if it's to deter TSA (or anyone else) from looking inside? Uh, yeah. Good luck with that. ;-)

llitm thanked IdaClaire
  • Joaniepoanie
    2 years ago

I didn’t even know they made plastic covers for luggage, but if that white luggage in the pic is a high end brand, can’t blame them for wanting to try and keep it looking nice.

llitm thanked Joaniepoanie
  • User
    2 years ago

No luggage wrapping for me, i am far too lazy!

llitm thanked User
  • Jennifer
    2 years ago

I do not wrap luggage. However, I know someone who uses a giant plastic bag INSIDE her luggage when she travels and expects rain. She learned that trick after an experience where the luggage was soaked through and things were ruined.

llitm thanked Jennifer
  • llitm
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've never wrapped mine either but have a cream colored duffle type bag with contrast trim that I *might* want to check for an upcoming trip however wouldn't do so without protecting it. I've seen wrapping stations at a few airports and, from what little I've read, it does not prompt a TSA red flag.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

OMG, Steamline has hat boxes!!! My oh-so-cool aunt bought me a hat box when I was a pre-teen. Then I thought I was cool, too!

• Lars
    2 years ago

I always check bags but never wrap them.

One thing that annoys me about air travel is people who bring way too much carry-on luggage and invade my carry-on storage space, which has happened several times. I've had no problems with checked luggage. I'm not that good at packing light, unless I am going on a very short trip, and those are rare for me. I'm not looking forward to flying again. I've gotten used to not having to deal with the general public.

Almost all of my flights have been non-stop, including my flight to and from Rome, which is probably the furthest I've flown non-stop. Fiji was closer and had plenty of non-stop options, but we were forced to change planes to get to Rio de Janeiro, as there are no non-stop flights from LAX. I wish I had had my layover in Panama City instead of Miami, however, as the Miami airport was a nightmare - much worse than LAX. There is a chance I will go back to Brazil, but not any time soon.

I try to fly non-stop so that there is less of a chance that luggage will be delayed, but I've never had that happen whenever I did have to change planes anyway. I try to also avoid certain airports, such as Heathrow, CDG, Atlanta, and now Miami. I've not flown through O'Hare, but it's not on my list (so far) of airports to avoid.

I've used plastic bags inside luggage. At LAX, they require that your luggage be unlocked so that it can be opened for inspection if desired, and so wrapping luggage in plastic would definitely send up a red flag, and you can be sure that it would be removed at LAX.

My brother has Bric's luggage, which he bought recently, but whatever I have is old and needs to be replaced before another major trip, I think.

llitm thanked Lars
  • dedtired
    2 years ago

I have seen wrapping services at airports. i dont remember now but they must be located prior to getting to the ticket counter. i guess it also discourages someone from opening your luggage and grabbing something. i never put anything of value in my checked luggage, althougn id hate lose my clothes!

llitm thanked dedtired
  • llitm
    Original Author
    2 years ago

"I've gotten used to not having to deal with the general public."

LOL, I hear you!

"...however, as the Miami airport was a nightmare..."

Global Entry has saved us at Miami when making connecting flights.

"At LAX, they require that your luggage be unlocked so that it can be opened for inspection..."

Good point, and there are other airports which follow same guidelines. Hmmm, guess I won't be checking that bag! ;)

• gail618
    2 years ago

That's funny, I was on the subway today and two people came in with their luggage tightly wrapped. I had never seen that before and couldn't figure out why.

llitm thanked gail618
  • 3katz4me
    2 years ago

Nope - traveled domestically and internationally on business for many years - both DH and I - never wrapped the luggage. Never have and never will.

llitm thanked 3katz4me
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    2 years ago

“When I travel, do all I can to avoid checking bag; checked once in past 10 years.” Ditto for me, but ….mdln, and all who've not flown recently…you are in for a disappointment. I just read that overhead on United is now restricting sizevto 9x17, duffle bag, approx approximately. Expect others will follow. yuk!

llitm thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

United allows only one "personal item" (17x10x9), that fits under seat - with basic economy tickets, the lowest fare.

"Carry-on" size (that fits in overhead bin) is 22x14x9.

llitm thanked MDLN
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

WOW just WOW this is a NEW concept can't say I have ever seen wrapped luggage. The layers of paranoia, the ideas some savvy business type can come up with to entice the gullible is incredible in this world today!!!

• graywings123
    2 years ago

No, it's not new. I saw it a lot in the 1980s flying out of South America.

llitm thanked graywings123
  • nini804
    2 years ago

We always fly American, and on our flight 3 weeks ago the plane seemed newish, and had more overhead space than I remembered. The bins seemed deeper. The plane was packed to the gills with people, but even the last people to get on seemed to be able to stow their bags. I was surprised.

I will say I was terrified that someone on our flight would start one of those infamous mask altercations but everyone was civilized! 😂 Oh Oh, and i don’t wrap my luggage…mine is just regular old serviceable black Samsonite that I’ve had forever, and i don’t care if it gets banged around. I ALWAYS check at least one bag bc i am a very inefficent packer! Dh gets so frustrated…he’s the opposite.😂

llitm thanked nini804
  • hcbm
    2 years ago

I have never wrapped my luggage and have not had a problem. However, I have seen many flying to and from South, Central America, and the Caribbean have their luggage wrapped at the airport. I believe they are trying to deter workers at the airport from slipping a hand in and grabbing something. As for fancy luggage, I have the cheapest four-wheeled bags bought at Costco. They have been through many trips, dropped, rained on, etc and it still works. For me, spending a lot on something that I know will be abused is unnecessary. I would rather spend that money on something else.

llitm thanked hcbm
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I can see trying to protect the contents now that we cannot lock luggage, but I don't see how plastic wrap would deter worker-thieves with a knife or box cutter. And aren't they unwrapped for inspection? Maybe just randomly inspected, but I don't think wrapping would deter inspection either, maybe just call attention to it.

Wrapping it to protect the luggage itself seems silly to me, but if people buy precious luggage.....??? It seems to me that wrapped luggage would be a flag to thieves that either the luggage is extra expensive (marketable to a thief, maybe?) or something inside needs protecting - also a flag.

llitm thanked Olychick
  • hcbm
    2 years ago

At JFK and Newark airport international terminals, there are kiosks that wrap luggage. The wrap will dissuade a worker, who in a quick second just sticks a hand in a 4 inch unzipped space and grabs whatever they touch. It also protects a bag from popping open in the cargo hold. The kiosks serve a very specific clientele. People who come from countries where it is expected you will experience petty theft unless you are hyper-vigilant. Most bags are not hand-inspected. They are all x-rayed, and machine sniffed for explosives. You can still lock your luggage, but it must be a TSA-approved lock. I know this from experience.

llitm thanked hcbm
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I never have, although I like these wraps — your own face or pet’s face:

llitm thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Just learned advantages to wrapping, besides protecting bag, (1) lowers chance overfilled bag, or one with weak latch/zipper, will beak open and spill contents in transit, (2) may deter theft, (3) gives you quick recognition bag has been opened, so you can check for any loss before leaving airport.

llitm thanked MDLN
  • jill302
    2 years ago

Interesting concept, but have not wrapped luggage to this point. When traveling on my own or with friends that carry-on, I carry-on. This has always been for a week or less. When traveling with DH it is pointless as he has to check a bag, his carry-on is filled up at least 1/2 way with his medical supplies, so he also has a checked bag. We tend to take trips that last 2 - 3 weeks.

llitm thanked jill302
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

Nope. Keep in mind also that TSA needs to be able to randomly search your checked luggage, so if you saran wrap it, I think they will cut it. If you lock your luggage, you must use a TSA lock where they can open it with a key. There are luggage straps that are like a belt for your bag to help keep weak luggage from bursting open.

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

I sometimes use zip ties on the zipper on my checked bags. If they have been cut I know that my luggage has been tampered with. I don't think that there is any way that you can guarantee that no one will get into your bag. I always carry anything valuable in mtimey carry-on.

Once when I opened my suitcase after a flight I found a note from the TSA that my bag had been opened and searched.I think that it was because there was a large hardback book inside, which could have looked suspicious on x-ray.

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    2 years ago

Years ago I saw luggage-wrapping services at Linate airport in Milan. The finished baggage looked like a deranged teenager was let loose with a supply of packing tape.

I wondered how long it would take to remove all that tape once at the hotel.

• rich69b
    2 years ago

I've seen wrapped luggage before, but overseas, not here. Someone told me it's to protect your stuff from getting wet, just in case it rains.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Someone told me it's to protect your stuff from getting wet, just in case it rains.

Isn't that what luggage does?

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Mtn, some types of luggage are better at repelling water than others. I follow a load of travel websites. I have seen a number of complaints where luggage has been left sitting on the ramp or on a luggage cart in the middle of a deluge. Not only does the luggage get soaked but so does the contents of the suitcase. And obviously, soft-sided luggage is more prone to absorbing water than hard-sided. Regardless of the composition of the body of the suitcase, I think the frequent weak spot is the zipper.

I had a friend who consistently used ziplock-style bags for packing. She told me it was because once she found herself with a suitcase of wet clothes when she reached her destination.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus