Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermothersdaughter

Help me find a 10x14 yellow rug!

The attached photo is Kaleen Melange. The largest it comes is 9x12. I have had no luck finding a wool rug in a happy yellow like this in the size I need for my living room.

Room details: 32x16 great room (living + dining). 16’ ceilings. SSE exposure. Indigo blue upholstery.

Room Details:

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

you sure you need 10x14?

These rugs listed are the vintage Turkish made wool rugs. they're beautiful. one of a kind. Not the cheapest rug, but they are well made.

this one is just shy 14'. has the blues too.

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/ecarpetgallery-one-of-a-kind-hand-knotted-new-age-ushak-light-khaki-10-x-138-wool-area-rug-fbxk6117.html

This one is almost the same color as the one you posted. Wool, 10x14

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/isabelline-one-of-a-kind-smithers-hand-knotted-2000s-modcar-gold-98-x-136-wool-area-rug-w001232593.html?&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=2

show a pic of your arrangement where you want the rug

this size is right around a 9x12. 9x11, or so

One-of-a-Kind Dewone Hand-Knotted New Age 10' x 14' Wool Area Rug in Yellow

See More by Isabelline

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/isabelline-one-of-a-kind-deonca-hand-knotted-new-age-102-x-137-wool-area-rug-in-light-khaki-w004419216.html

• everdebz
    2 years ago

From here, looks like a moderate yellow... but may I ask what's the wall color? Maybe .. yellow could be used everywhere else -- a blue anchor on the floor...

if you have blue-grey furniture, a steel blue-grey?

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Look on overstock.com. You can sort by material, color, and size.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I found this popular one - Quatrefoil pattern in gold - oversized graphic Moroccan tile motif.

Safavieh Cambridge Collection CAM233 Rug, Light Gold/Dark Gold, 9'x12' · More Info

Hand-tufted poly from Barcelona collection by Safavieh

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Here is the 9 x 12. With a room that is living and dining you need two rugs probably 2 9 x 12’s. I would need to see space and furniture to figure out best choices. One fir dining and one for living area. I might not do 2 of same rug but make dining room complimentary.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Safavieh Cambridge Collection CAM146 Rug, Gold/Ivory, 9'x12' · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

This rug you like has only 1//3" thick pile so it's very thin, hence the great price. It might be worth it to buy two of the rugs in the 8x10 size to create a 16 x 10 rug. If the pattern matches from side to side you might find a good craftsman to sew the two rugs together.

However, I do think the space could look just as good with a 9x12 rug. The rug doesn't need to align with the walls. Also If you are fixed on the 10x14, you could layer the 9x12 over a sisal or seagrass 10 x 14 rug.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

These all are made 10 x 14

• hermothersdaughter
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the leads….I’d looked in many different places, but clearly not all. Yes, I am sure a 9x12 is not big enough. Here is a mock-up in room planner. I’ve also laid it out in the space (currently under construction). I will worry about the dining room rug a bit later. A blue rug is too monochromatic given the upholstery. Walls are mostly BM distant gray. The niches on either side of the fireplace will be black.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

The color and the size, and the fiber are a bit incompatible. A decent wool at that size is pricey. Just because a rug is "wool" _ need not imply quality, and plenty of these are a shedding nightmare, a pilling nightmare as well.

There are GORGEOUS broadloom selections in more neutral shades. Wonderful textures. You will find these in wool, in wool and nylon blends.....that can be bound to a size you desire to the inch. I'd consider that, and add the yellow/happy in places other than a rug. Pillows. and ottoman, in art.......etc. A glossy yellow console somewhere. Blue and yellow rooms are at their best when the color is distributed very UN evenly.

I'd buy a better rug.....is my point. In a less dominating color as well. Or layer your "happy yellow, much smaller on a neutral sisal under a cocktail table......

Below? A pop of yellow: )

Even save that bold yellow for the dining space only....and smaller .

• hermothersdaughter
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the leads….I’d looked in many different places, but clearly not all. Yes, I am sure a 9x12 is not big enough. Here is a mock-up in room planner. I’ve also laid it out in the space (currently under construction). I will worry about the dining room rug a bit later. A blue rug is too monochromatic given the upholstery. Walls are mostly BM distant gray. The niches on either side of the fireplace will be black.

• hermothersdaughter
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Any tips for buying a rug online? Thus far I’ve stuck to brands where I can buy (and inexpensively return) a 2x3 version of the rug. That works great …. If the rug comes in a small size. The Isabelle rugs above are one of a kind, so that strategy doesn’t work and I suspect return shipping is not cheap on a 10x14 rug.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

You have the right idea with buying a sample-size rug before buying the larger size online. For one of a kind rugs though, I personally wouldn't risk it. The main reason is colours can't be trusted on screens and monitors and the second is the hassle and cost of returning a large heavy rug. (I bought an 8x10 outdoor patio rug on Amazon but it was inexpensive and lightweight.)

You've no reputable local carpet and rug places to check out? A rug that size is an investment piece. It's not just the colour you want to get right, it's the feel of it, no?

Great advice upthread. You seem to have your heart set on yellow. Have you considered gold? (per Everdebz' example) A muted yellow which might be easier to find in the size you require. On my screen, the happy yellow rug you shared in your initial post looks lovely (and reminds me of fabric I've spotted online recently) but I have no clue if my screen is rendering the same image as yours. On my screen, that Kaleen Melange rug is closer to mustard than daffodil. Yellow can be such a tricky colour to get "right" in home decor.

• hermothersdaughter
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would call the Kaleen yellow “saffron,” not quite mustard. (This is one rug I ordered in the small size and returned.). To your point, one of the Isabelline rugs above shows as yellow but is described as khaki. I have tried rugs in blue and yellow and settled on yellow for the way it reacts with the upholstery and the light. The blues I tried read too monochromatic. I have hit several local rug stores, but most of the more contemporary rugs they carry are made with viscose, which I want to avoid. I did find one (non-yellow) one I love but I’m not looking to spend $10K just yet. I’ve looked at high quality broadloom rugs thinking I could have them cut to size and bound, but nothing appeals there. Something like this blue and white one might work, but I haven’t been able to identify it yet.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Saffron? That's red in my books. :)

Online, have you looked at Ben Soleimani? The Shevra rug in gold (which looks pretty vibrant on my screen) is available in 10 x 14 and costs much less than 10K. I can't speak to their quality. Sample sizes are available.

ETA: Rugs is often mentioned in this forum. Sort by size, colour, etc. and website allows you to see the rug in your room. They offer free shipping and free returns within 30 days. This Oushak is on sale right now but might be too traditional a style for you.