Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

One thing you hope guests will notice

Oakley
2 years ago

This topic was on the side of the page in another topic I was reading. Is that "our" Emily? Cute!

I kind of laughed at the name of the topic because honestly, I can't think of anything, but I'll figure it out in a bit.

Inanimate objects only. No "I hope everyone feels at home" kumbaya talk. Maybe it's the lamp you inherited from Auntie Em?

Be back later!

Comments (18)

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

My food. I sound braggy, but I'm genuinely the best cook I know. My food is nicer than my housekeeping. I also set a lovely table.

• dedtired
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wow, did you see the fridge one person posteded? That is so cool Some of the responses are funny. i hope guests don’t notice stuff, like disintegratimg lampshades. Got to do something about that!.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Interesting responses from 6 years ago. I hope that my guests will notice that I’ve ironed their sheets.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I haven't had time to look yet, I'm doing laundry. Fun. Bb, I've never ironed a sheet in my life. lol. What are yours made of? I would if wrinkles didn't come out.

Ded, or if a guest accidentally hits the lampshade and dust rains down. :)

Mrs. Pete, what type of food do you like to cook the most?

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

Wow - those past responses are really strange IMHO opinion - all about me. I just had overnight guests for four days and 10 guests for dinner. Can’t say I thought for a minute about what I hoped they would “notice”. Honestly I’d be fine if they didn’t notice anything and just felt completely at home and immersed in having a great time.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    2 years ago

Omg, ded! yes, silk shades with their lining disintergrating. Must they have a lining? Looking like Miss. Havisham’s house! Sorry for the interuption. Hmm, well, to be totally honest, if outside, I might hope someone will notice the garden…if it’s in a good stage, that is.

• nini804
    2 years ago

I hope guests will notice that my house smells fresh and clean! Seriously! I have this weird fear that my house could possibly smell ”doggy” since we have 2 dogs. I occasionally have my friends come over and do a ”smell check.” 😂 (These are very good friends, lol.) I am obsessed with it smelling clean, like laundry. Seriously! Clean laundry is my favorite smell. 😂

• nini804
    2 years ago

Oh lawd, i just read some of the original thread…there’s another weirdo like me! 😳 But she uses wax melts (?) that smell like coffee or something…😂 I use cleaning priducts and actual clean laundry😂

• Oakley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think the posters in that thread totally missed the point of the topic.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Interesting how it seemed to spin to overnight guests rather than just guests in the old thread.

Lots of things to notice in my house and I'm always curious what someone will notice as it tells me something about them. I hope they find it cozy and welcoming. I hope they don't find it "dated". Then there's what I hope they don't notice...the dust, the cat toys, the messy pillows on our couch....

If I think back to what gets commented on most frequently, it's the glass railing on our deck, probably followed by our flooring.

I did take it as a good sign when a gal came in and it wasn't until she saw the cat condo in our family room that she realized I had cats...I guess my kitty boxes don't smell! Nothing worse than having your nose tell you you've entered the house of a pet owner.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Our art. Not that we have museum quality, we don’t, but each piece tells a story and I love when people ask. :)

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Mrs Pete I am the same way! I love to set a pretty table and have too many plates (many antique) and table linens. But I can make a pretty table in a flash!

I also thought this question was not about overnight guests. I really don't have any certain thing that I hope guests notice, but I will tell you to two main things people seem to notice when visiting our home. 1) our view - we have a mountain view and we sit up above our little town

2) our wood floors - they are nothing out of the ordinary, just oak plank wood floors

I do hope our home smells good and I have a wall of family pictures that I enjoy when people notice and I can tell who is who.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

@Oakley, my sheets are 100% cotton percale, the kind that are frequently described as crisp when we have a sheets-thread. I even use a bit of spray starch on the top sheet and the pillowcases.

I am another who worries about smells in the house even though we have no pets. And cleanliness does not always translate to a pleasant smell. I bought some cleaning product that smelled awful. Finally had to throw it away! Unfortunately, it is hard to get a friend who will be truthful about how your house smells. @nini804, you are lucky to have friends who will give you an honest answer!

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

Well, what first time guests (whether just for a meal or overnight) seem to notice first is the setting/view which I would expect since it's what drew us to this property in the first place. Another thing that has been mentioned to me is that our house is 'calm'. It please me that people notice and appreciate both enough to comment.

But you specified inanimate objects so I would have to say the grandfather clock in our living room. You can't miss it - it's huge, heavily carved and certainly not everyone's taste. It wouldn't be mine if I were out looking to buy an antique clock but it's a family piece and I'm the current caretaker. I can always tell if someone comments on it because they think they have to or if they have a genuine appreciation for the art of it and complex mechanism. You don't have to love something to appreciate things about it - I'm kind of like that ;-)

• nini804
    2 years ago

@bbstx Yes, i am very lucky to have such good friends! 🥰 They indulge my weirdness, and would never let me have a smelly house! Dh thinks I’ve lost my mind bc we have no carpet and I am super picky about cleaning so he can’t understand why I have this phobia…but my friends get it. 😂

There isn’t any specific inanimate object that I care anyone notices in my house, there isn’t anything all that interesting or unusual here. I just hope they think it is pretty and well-done. 😊 (and good-smelling!😂) But, the two things new guests comment about the most are the oil paintings of our kids and my walnut island.

• User
    2 years ago

Bbstx, i loved having my house vacuumed with a Rainbow because the air smelled and felt so fresh. i miss having a housekeeper willing to lug that thing around :(

• LynnNM
    2 years ago

This 8,000-10,000 year old spearhead my brother found on his property and gifted to me. I treasure it! I had it framed and have it hung in our foyer.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

I'm more concerned about what my guests DON'T notice rather than what they do. Here's hoping they don't notice the dog hair, the dust, and the random book piles.