Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

"Throwing good money after bad"; outdoor decor

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We bought our beach house in 2013, and reno was done by summer 2014. When we went to buy outdoor furniture for the verandah, pickings were slim. I've never liked our verandah furniture, but there is a lot of it and it has held up well and it is comfy.

The cushions on the dining set are aqua, but the only cushions I could get for the main seating area are ... lime. I had an extra Dash and Albert striped rug in a taupe/white colorway, and bought taupe and white pillows to tone down the lime.

Fast forward 7 years. I'd like to replace the cushions (tho they don't truly need it, I can justify it). However, there is such a backlog it won't happen soon. The rug, more importantly, really needs to be cleaned. I scrubbed it last year and one spot just won't budge. Id get the same one again, but D&A is backlogged too.

I found a rug I think is fine for $50, but it is sort of a French blue and off white, which goes with nothing really.But, it will have to do for now. I was hoping to find some outdoor pillows to make the rug seem more intentional -- ie a print that marries lime, French blue and off white. OTOH, maybe I can get away with just using something blue.

Here are some mockups. I have a fave. And some I actively dislike but would work. WDYT?

Comments (38)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the space (see old rug in background). Existing pillows to be banished

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some options that do indeed pull in the colors

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

These two say; "You want color? here is some more!"

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

I like the top left in the first photo.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 3katz4me
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I like the rug with the lime cushions; they look summer coastal colors. Pillows: 1st pick lower right and either lower left or upper left. Not crazy about the rest.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Olychick
  • eld6161
    2 years ago

These two.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • gsciencechick
    2 years ago

I like your first choice best.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked gsciencechick
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

It's not clear to me what you getting rid of, all lime/avocado pillow cushions or those taupe throw pillows? Are you looking to add throw pillows on top of the current lime/avocado cushions?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

I don't think you need to marry lime and blue because they naturally go together. Do you really need pillows? I bought some because everybody did and I've finally put them away. No one uses them.

If you feel you need to marry, do it in accent pieces such as a large tray for the ottoman/table, and large flowerpots in the corner. I'd also add another color, like yellow. Yellow goes with both lime and blue.

My rug is the same color as yours and I'm adding yellow to the porch, and I like the cheerfulness of it.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Oakley
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bumblebeez...for now, we have to live with the lime cushions and the rug. I am trying to tie the lime cushions to the blue/cream rug by using new throw pillows.

• Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Green is a neutral outdoors especially as I see your lawn beyond the porch. Leaning towards the 2 eld6161 picked but also liking the last photo, bottom left pillows a lot.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Feathers11
    2 years ago

I like Eld's choices, too. Those best tie in the colors, IMO.

Along the lines of Oakley's post (I don't care for the functionality of pillows, either, but I like how they look), the space seems to need a few garden stools or small tables to place drinks. You could marry the colors with a few decorative accent tables, too.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Feathers11
  • lizzie_grow
    2 years ago

I like bottom right in first picture!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked lizzie_grow
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

I like a variety of blue pillows and like the ones in the picture that have a bird, butterfly and leaves. Love those. Some of the florals look really dated to me. My preference would be those blue pillows along with small fake outdoor sisal lumbars in white or beige added to the mix.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

I like the palampore print in the first picture. I think the busier the pattern, the easier it is to trick the eye into seeing the colors blend and complement one another.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Fun2BHere
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bumble, Yes, I think some of them do look dated, but they were good color matches.

And yes, whatever pattern I chose, I would add in a solid in either blue or beige.

Feathers, we have side tables, a bar cart, etc ... this was just to show the pieces I am trying to marry. We actually use pillows, plus i love the look.

Arapaho, the bottom left last photo are my personal favorites! You are the only other person who likes them, LOL.

Oak, good point about yellow. That maybe why i like the lemon tree pillows (bottom left last photo), altho it only has a splash of lemon.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Fun, I am really excited to learn a new word! Palampore. cool. I can file it right after Palimpsest, too.

Yes, that is garnering the most votes and I see why. You've aptly explained it .. the busier the better. I just feel like it's something i've seen a million times, not very interesting, and could have been my Mom's IYKWIM. That said, it does do what I need (oh and very inexpensive). I just don't love it for itself?

I think these are my faves. That said, birds are maybe overdone. as is Suzani? And I need to find out the fabric on the bottom right one. Turns out even though I searched for outdoor, many are not. (which might still be ok)

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

Of the faves I like the one on the far left the best. I really like the new lime and blue combo.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 3katz4me
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

So I went searching... did you see these?

• scmatlanta
    2 years ago

How about recovering all the !ime cushions in a fabric you like better? Then you wouldn't have to compromise on patterns and colors for new smaller pillows and could marry this area with the dining area. A local seamstress could be found, no?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked scmatlanta
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HI SCM, No, the lime have to stay for at least this season. So this is a stop gap measure. My re-upholsterer both here and in CT is backlogged until at least Sept!

Yes Arapaho, the fabric has a very large pattern and comes in diff colorways, but those pillows are all the same essentially. How they cut it depends on size and shape. (what were your sources in you have them, so i can compare avail, and prices?)

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I adore the lemon/lime variations.. including the blue version Arapaho posted. They are interesting, not dated and good colors!

My second choice is the bottom right on your favs-- but it is more "expected" iykwim

I like the lime green but i do remember you saying you weren't happy with the green a month or two ago. Everything is backlogged this year-- it's frustrating (but understandable). I am really disappointed that I bought something "good enough for now" when i replaced my porch furniture. I wish I had waited and just bought some new pillows!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Searched on "outdoor pillows lime tree" LOL which took me to Esty shop PopOColor. Fabric looks to be Schumacher Citrus Garden.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Without looking at the other responses, I like the bottom right, first photo, and the bottom left, 3rd photo that brings a little pink. I do like some of the others in some small way too, but those two are my favorites. Both of those seem like they might transition to something else later.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • dedtired
    2 years ago

I like the ones Eld circled.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked dedtired
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Chairish has some 17"x17" samples for $10. Pillows could easily be made from these, even using a different fabric for the back. But you may want/need them now.

Citrus Garden - Pool

Citrus Garden - Primary

Citrus Garden - Lime

• bbstx
    2 years ago

I like the Shumacher Citrus Garden best. Second choice would be the blue and green banana leaves. The one I really don’t like is the Suzani-ish one. I see an owl’s face.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bbstx
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

I like the two eld6161 circled. You only need a touch of lime this season.

I've been searching at pillows and purchased two for a pair of poolside chairs from AuthenTEAK after seeing an Elaine Smith fabric elsewhere. They were best price and quick shipping. Win, win. I am about to measure the screened porch furniture that came with the house. The cushions are not the best, so I will replace with DryFast Foam from The Foam Factory (had on swing bed and it is fantastic) and Sunbrella zippered covers from OutdoorFabrics.com I also used them for the swing bed mattress cover. Then I purchase accent pillows. I've alreayd bookmarked several sellers on Etsy with fabrics that I have in mind. One is the Tommy Bahama leaf fabric you posted.

Hope you will post photos after they arrive.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Allison0704
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I knew Elaine Smith sounded familiar! I have Elaine Smith by the pool ... which is far enough from the house that it needn't go with anything else. Quality is great.

• nini804
    2 years ago

I truly believe lime *is* a neutral, especially outside in the summer! It goes with just about any color, but especially blues! i love the bottom right one Eld posted!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nini804
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

From your picture of your faves, I like the bird pillow best.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sueb20
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Funny ...we are having guests tomorrow, and of course i can't get these pillows by then. LOL So I started thinking, what if I covered the stained area of the rug with furniture.

We have this old chest from the PO, sort of a dark gray driftwood feel to it. It has to go in a bit of an awkward place, but... I definitely want to use this in someway, after we do get a new rug/cushions/pillows!

• jojoco
    2 years ago

I love the bottom right pillow because the white adds an airyness to the furniture. The chest is a great piece but it does seem oddly placed right now. Can't you just get your dog to lie down over the spot for the day?Speaking of the rug, I would move everything in closer, so the edge of the rug is hidden under the couch and move the rockers in a bit. It seems a bit standoffish for such a warm setting.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jojoco
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

You could also try to angle the rug so the spot is under the sofa, or depending on where the spot ends up (if it isn't under a piece of furniture, the round table could be placed over it. Or put the chest in the center and a planter with some flowers over the spot. Or a garden stool?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Olychick
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh yes, I can def scoot the rug so that the front legs of both the sofa and chair are on it.

The chest should be rotated 90 degrees, and i'm pretty sure I will do that when i lay down the new rug. For now its not quite so bizarre as it looks because it sorts of creates a border for the "room" right at the spot where the roof ends. The last 10' of our porch, and the part that wraps around the side, is not covered.

Off to train my dog ... (best idea yet!)

• User
    2 years ago

After resolve and oxyclean woolite cleaner and those enzymatic cleaners have cleaned but left a stain, try Spotshot aerosol spray on the stain. i have had great luck with it, even for old stains.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Arapaho, I got the sample and it is just gorgeous... swoon. I will try treating it for waterproofing and see. Its' 17"sq for only $10 btw - I might use *it* for a pillow LOL.