Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniez6b

Saving roses from a funeral arrangement

On Father’s Day my precious 31 year old daughter suddenly died. The shock and pain has been unbearable. She had Turner’s Syndrome and their “mascot” is a butterfly, so I want to make a butterfly garden in remembrance of her. In the garden I want to include all the flowers that I possibly can from the floral arrangements people sent to us. Their are several varieties of roses and I am thinking of trying to root the ones I have in water. Is there a better way to propagate them or is this my best bet?

Comments (33)

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Stephanie, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a terrible thing.

I hope your butterfly garden will bring you some comfort ...it is a nice way to remember her, in something beautiful.

I have not tried to root roses in water. I have best luck using a gallon pot of damp sand. I have the best luck lately with sand from the masonry department at Home Depot. For one thing, I've heard of lime being in some sand but for masonry, it is bad to have lime in it so it is more likely it has none in it. Anyway it seems to be the best sand lately. Not the play sand.

I take a cutting about 4 to 8" long...usually more like five or six inches. Remove all but the top two or three leaves. Cut the base just below a node. Scrape lightly through the green bark for about 1/2" on two sides ot the base of the cutting. I dip in rooting powder. Make a hole in the damp sand and stick the cutting in up to about 1/2 of its length. Water in the cuttings and place the pot in dappled light. You could mist it now and then. Keep moist...don't let it dry out. Wait for four to six weeks. If you tug lightly on the cutting and it resists, it probably has roots. If not, wait longer. Pot up when rooted, being very careful of the delicate white roots. I use part Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil. Also add some perlite for aeration. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 percent. Gradually move the potted up cutting into more light.

If it doesn't work, you could always ask the florists for the names of the roses in the arrangements and maybe they could help with that, and then you could buy the plants. If that doesn't work you could still make a beautiful garden in her name.

Sometimes gardening keeps you putting one foot in front of the other as you walk through tears. It can be sustaining in a hard time.

StephanieZone6binKY thanked erasmus_gw
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Oh Stephanie, I have no words other than I am so incredibly sad for your loss.

I think a butterfly garden will be such a lovely memorial. I wonder if you could locate a statue of a butterfly as a focal feature.

Best of luck with starting some roses

I have not tried to propogate but there are some great videos that have wonderful information.

Prayers for your comfort and peace as you morn the loss of your precious daughter.

• our_md_garden Zone 7A NE
    2 years ago

Stephanie, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that building this garden will bring you some comfort and peace as your grieve the loss of such a special person. I wish I could offer more suggestions on propagation - hopefully, someone here can offer some recommendations. I’ll add that planting Buddleja (the non invasive kind) can be a great pollinator attraction, too.
    My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

My heart goes out to you and her Father, Stephanie, over the loss of your daughter. A memorial will be very uplifting.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! Erasmus_gw I will try putting half in sand. Unfortunately not all have leaves but will try them anyway. It is a small town so I am sure the florist will be happy to help me. Here is a pic of one of the roses if anyone recognizes it.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is a soft creamy color with a peachy pink center

2 years ago

Beautiful rose, Stephanie.

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

My heart aches for your lost. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I am sure you will enjoy the butterfly garden. It will be a source of peace watching them flutter around and knowing your daughter is looking down on them.

Good luck on rooting your plants, but if they do not root, I too advise you to contact the florist and see if they could get you the names.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Sharon2079!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Stephanie, I dont know how I missed this post the first time around.

I am so so sad for your loss.

I am ao happy that you got one of her roses to root.

I pray that your butterfly garden will flourish and bring you peace.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Kristine!

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

A garden is such a wonderful way to remember. I hope that it will bring you peace. Congratulations on getting a rose to root. That's a challenge, since florist roses are stored and may have lost too much energy to make roots. Too bad you can't grow the Butterfly Rose https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2130.5 in your climate. But maybe an option could be Butterfly Kisses (there are a few roses with that name) https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4449.1? or https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.25112.1&tab=1. You can also search on HelpMeFind for the word "butterfly" for options.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

I missed this post the first time too. I can't imagine the loss of a child, no matter the age. Utterly unthinkable. I'm sooo sorry for your loss.

You are doing such a healing thing! I'm so proud of you for going forward with a butterfly garden...and you did it!! You rooted a cutting!! Good idea to try different ways of rooting. :) :)

It's a beautiful rose...a fitting tribute. Once it gets bigger, try rooting another cane as a backup.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Noseometer, thank you for the links. I really like the Butterfly Kisses rose. It is very fitting as the symbol for girls with Turner Syndrome is a butterfly. Turner Syndrome is the condition my daughter had.
    Rosecanadian, Thank you! Also, thanks for the reminder to start a new plant when this one is big enough. I would hate to lose it. Maybe I’ll start several and put them in different locations.
    Does anyone know if I should leave the jar on all winter?

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Don't do what I say unless someone else says the same thing as I don't grow my roses in the ground...but if I were you, I would take the glass off and mound dirt all over the rose. :)

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rosecanadian, thank you!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

:) :) :) Good luck with it!! :) :) :)

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

My suggestion would be to prop the jar up so it is a little open at the bottom. If the plant wilts too much, lower it again, but keep propping it open until the plant doesn't wilt anymore. Then prop it open more, or take the glass off entirely with a similar process until the plant doesn't need the jar anymore. I'm not sure what roses need in your area to overwinter, but here in half zone warmer, they don't need winter protection. If roses in your area typically get cold damage, I'd mound up some pine needles over the plant when it gets cold. You want it to breathe, but not get too cold. Also, in case it is a question, don't fertilize your plant at this time of year. You want it to go dormant for the winter, and fertilizing it may stimulate it to grow. In a young plant, it's not just the new growths that will get frozen, but the plant may be using so much energy to produce the new growth that the older parts may suffer or die from the cold as well. Good luck.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Noseometer! I don’t normally do anything to protect the roses. I am in zone 6b but I think our property may be in a little microclimate. We tend to grow more toward a zone 7. However, that being said someone told me the other day that this is supposed to be a rough winter so I’ll pick up some pine needles for her. Will start proofing open the jar after this rain. Passes. I think we have a couple days left.

2 years ago

Don't mound up soil. Do what Noseometer says.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Good! :)

• bellarosa
    2 years ago

Sorry for your loss...

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Bellarose!

• Cactus&Roses (Zone 7, high desert)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@StephanieZone6binKY, I'm so sorry for the enormous loss of your beloved daughter! I love that you're creating a memorial garden. I don't have a rose comment, but I wanted to mention that this year I planted seeds of the Torch sunflower (Mexican sunflower, Tithonia rotundifolia) and since later summer it's been visited constantly by hummingbirds, butterflies (including a lot of monarchs), and the big fuzzy bumble bees. Wild purple asters that I've been letting reseed are also butterfly magnets. They (all the pollinators) pretty much ignore my roses! But the Torch sunflower is a daily crowd pleaser buffet.

ETA: Near where I live, there is a church with a memorial rose garden in the front by the street, where it's available for all passerbys' to view. Each rose has a plaque stake with names of both the beloved and the rose itself. The roses look better than the local public rose garden! I enjoy stopping by to read the names and appreciate the beauty of the roses and the love that inspired each planting.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cactusandroses Thank you! Other than having this one little rose started I haven’t actually had the energy to get started on the garden yet. It will be a huge project. We are in the planning stages right now. She loved koi fish, so we will put in a pond and a ton of various flowers. Some type of flowering tree and most likely a fire pit nearby, so we can sit out there in the evenings. We always sat by an outdoor fire when the kids was little and read to them all the time, so we think that would be fitting.

• Cactus&Roses (Zone 7, high desert)
    2 years ago

@StephanieZone6binKY, your plans sound absolutely enchanting!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Cactus - that's a great idea about churches/roses/passed loved ones. :)

Stephanie - oh wow!! That will be so comforting!! What a splendid plan. :)

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you @cactusandroses and @rosecanadian! It may take us forever to get in finished, but it will definitely be a labor of love.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Yes, in the doing....there will be healing. <3

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I hope so.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Nothing will ever make this right, but you will find some peace through this, and you'll be able to let her life define her, and not this one horrible day of her death. I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@rosecanadian thank you