Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_856451340

Do you paint gutters? Exterior paint and trim color

Robin
2 years ago

We will be painting our 70's split level house. The current color is dark brown with tan trim. We have tan colored gutters. We also have a tan/sand colored metal storm door. Do painters paint gutters? I would think they would easily peel. So we are thinking we need to stay with the same trim color so as not to paint the gutters. Currently looking at SW Urbane Bronze or Rock Bottom for our main color. SW Tavern Taupe is probably the closest, but a little darker than our current trim color. We don't like yellowy toned tan/beiges. Thoughts or advice? I should also note we have orange brick in the front on the bottom half of the split level. Thank you.

Comments (29)

• User
    2 years ago

Need to post pictures and the paint color options

Robin thanked User
  • Robin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pretty ugly little 70s split. This was in the spring before plants came up. We will be replacing the roof probably next year so aren't worried about what goes with it. We are thinking about a metal roof.

Top color is SW Sealskin. Middle SW Urbane Bronze. Bottom SW Rock Bottom. I would love to change the trim color but would have to paint the gutters.

We were going to go with Urbane Bronze but I keep going back to the Rock Bottom as it looks different in different light. Anywhere from dark grey to green to blue green.

Top Sealskin. 2 Urbane Bronze. 3 Night Owl (husband won't go that light). 4 Rock Bottom.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

SW Urbane Bronze

SW Rock Bottom

SW Inkwell

SW Night Owl

SW Seal Skin

SW Jasper

SW Smokehouse

ditch the gutters!

Robin thanked Melissa R
  • chloebud
    2 years ago

Something with a green undertone will work really well with orange or peach brick.

Robin thanked chloebud
  • Robin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ldecor54 I've argued with my husband about the corners. I totally agree they should be the main color!

Melissa R thanks so much for the pics!!

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

here is SW Urbane Bronze with trim painted to match

Robin thanked Melissa R
  • User
    2 years ago

melissa r is doing great job for you.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I really like Jasper and Inkwell! Looks so crisp and contemporary.

Glad to see the shutters gone.

• Robin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really like it with the trim painted to match. Not sure I can convince my husband but thank you Melissa R!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 years ago

Do painters paint gutters?

Yes. All day every day. When prepped and painted properly, the paint film sometimes holds up better than paint on siding, trim and doors.

Gutters should match trim or roofline - whichever is bigger, chunkier, takes up the most visual space.

Downspouts should be painted same color as the body, the goal is for them to blend in.

If buying new and trim/roof line is dark, but a factory finished dark color and paint them to match the color scheme. If trim/roofline is light, buy factory finished white and paint to match color scheme.

How carefully the color of the gutters and downspouts were considered is one of the ways you can tell a professional color designer was hired to specify color.

• Robin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I know those shutters are ugly and we were looking at replacing them but are shutters not a thing anymore? It's just such a plain box of a house.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

Shutters can be attractive, but not THOSE shutters. They aren’t even real shutters.

And most people here feel shutters should be large enough to actually cover the windows, which is what shutters are for. Since you have windows placed side-by-side, obviously your shutters would have to be very wide, which is just not practical.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

shutters really aren't a thing anymore.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 years ago

It's just such a plain box of a house.

Lean in to the clean lines without shutters. It's an opportunity to do something fabulous with the front door and entry; feature it and let it carry the curb appeal.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I thought I would offer a twist on your approach that would give your home a bit more personality. I chose a blue/gray paint color that would compliment your brick. Then I added a orange front door. I could not find the exact orange I wanted so visualize this more of a pumpkin color. These are 70’s colors but would work well with your house and roof. I would add some copper exterior light fixtures. And I put windows in your garage door. I put a copper rain chain on the far right corner of the garage gutter. I would leave your gutters dark brown if that is their color and add some copper-like flower pots with greenery plus update your flower bed across the front of your yard curving the bed out further from the house. I had to cut and paste windows because this mock up tool can’t do fine detail. So just image those are your existing windows. If you replace them in the future, get an exterior color that blends with the body of the house. So the twist is giving your house a touch of mid century flavor to create interest without major structural changes. You could add some wood linear fence panels each side of the house to keep that theme going. Hope this helps inspire different choices than brown.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I added linear fence panels each side of house to give a more linear look. Not sure you have space fir these but just giving you ideas.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

here is Flo's suggestions

SW Smokey Blue and Determined Orange

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I like the Sealskin mock up the best. It’s hard to do this choice on a monitor, so you now have great options to try before you buy tons of paint. Whatever you choose, make the trim the same color.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Either paint them or use prefinished aluminum gutters.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Thanks Melissa! With my idea, you might not have to change the gutter color it will blend right in with the roof.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Oh! One more thing. Definitely paint those corners same color as body of house.

• lkloes
    2 years ago

Melissa R, shutters ARE a thing on certain home styles (but not this one, obviously). Such cute blanket statements are neither true nor helpful.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

@lkloes well gee, thanks for calling me out and contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation...troll much?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Gutters get painted all the time as noted above- modern acrylic paints are designed for this. (I like sw durations...)

This style of house looks best with monochromatic schemes and no shutters.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

You can create a cute seating area right out front and integrate into front landscaping. It would create an inviting spot leading the eye to the front door.

• Robin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! I've never reached out to this community before. The response has been wonderful! Thank you so much for your work and ideas. An especially big thank you to Flo and Melissa for the visuals. I really appreciate your time. You have given me such great ideas and much to think about. Thank you, thank you!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

One more idea! Lol. Have you seen these magnetic garage door faux windows! This could update your garage door for a lot less than a new door!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Visuals help with giving hubby confidence too. Good luck! You can make your home a little jewel box!