Houzz Logo Print

Comments (31)

• towandaaz
    2 years ago

Good one! Happy 4th backatcha!

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

FYI, roses are 'Cl Crimson Glory', and 'Sombreuil' (aka "Colonlial White"). They decided to co-habit on their own.

Jackie

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

That's perfect, Jackie!

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Jackie!! What a fabulous shot!!! Your roses are amazing!! And the clematis fills in the blue perfectly!!

Flowers - very lovely!

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Erasmus - that is so beautiful! Who are its parents?

Jackie

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Lovely!! I especially love its center...is it from an Ausin rose?

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Thanks. Well, the funny thing is it came from Midnight Blue. I got two seedlings from Midnight Blue this spring and both were very similar whites. They bloomed on the tiniest of plants...nice sized blooms for the size of the plant. So I was hopeful but the seedlings are extremely lacking in vigor. All the same I named it because it was so pretty, and fragrant, and I hope to grow both of them on into bigger plants for my own enjoyment. I doubt they'll suddenly gain vigor so I doubt anyone else would want them. If I grow a better seedling like this I may use the same name on it. I just grow open pollinated seedlings so I don't have but one parent ID. Possibly a bee pollinated it or it might be a self. Surprised at the color.

Last night for the 4th we went to a minor league baseball game and saw a great fireworks show. I hadn't been to a game in many years. I can get bored with baseball but it held my interest and I enjoyed the snappy plays . It amazes me how well those guys can track a ball flying up in the sky and locate themselves just right to catch it. Reminds me of one of my dogs...if you toss her a snack she will never miss it. She could be a player in the dog major league. I didn't hear many people singing the anthem but people took off their hats in respect and I saw many hands over hearts for the anthem.

• mmmm12COzone5
    2 years ago

That is so pretty! Much better than any firework.

jacqueline9CA thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

That us just gorgeous, Jackie! Carol

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Erasmus - that's a surprise to get a white ... and to get two whites from Midnight Blue...unusual!

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    2 years ago

Handsome combination, Jackie, and, Erasmus, that's a pretty bloom!

I hope everybody had a good Fourth. DH and I celebrated our twenty-sixth wedding anniversary that day (actually, the day before, on account of DD's exam schedule). When we got married so many years ago in Olympia, Washington, I had a plain white wedding cake that my two sisters, both gardeners, were given the task of decorating. They went exploring out in the garden. The result was a cake ornamented with deep red, fragrant buds of 'Oklahoma', purple clematis blooms (likely 'Etoile Violette'), red raspberries, and blueberries: a red, white, and blue theme perfect for both the celebrations of the day.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Melissa - Happy anniversary!!! My DH and I just today celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary! Your wedding cake sounds wonderful!! Oklahoma blooms!!! Berries...heavenly!!

2 years ago

Rosecanadian, thanks, and happy anniversary to you!

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Happy Anniversary to you both! At the baseball game we went to I was surprised at all the anniversaries the announcer mentioned. My son and DIL were among them. I am not sure how many years ago it was but they got married in my garden on July 4th.

Someone told my husband that most weddings cost ten or twenty thousand dollars these days. I don't see why.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Thanks, Melissa :) :)

Erasmus - Do you have any pictures of their wedding (focussing on your garden)? I bet it was amazing!!

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Rosecanadian, it really wasn't amazing in terms of my garden. Most of my roses weren't blooming at the time just like right now. In fact, silly as it is, I put a fake rose garland on the arbor which was kind of a backdrop to where they said their vows. It was the wrong timing for rose blooms but it saved them money. It was nice, just being outside. I have a picture of my son and his bride as they got married and to me it is an amazing picture because they both look radiant.

We had the reception in our house, too. I would have liked to have it somewhere else. We made most of the food. My son, who is a chef, had a chef friend make a beautiful and delicious cake, three tiers, with bright pink icing roses draped around it.

2 years ago

Erasmus, that's what we did. I cooked the wedding dinner, except for the cake, the service was in my garden, and we set the dinner out in the yard. I asked too much help from my siblings--which they gave--but it was a good wedding. The marriage has worked out pretty well, too.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Sounds wonderful!!! And I totally get about the roses not being in bloom. :) :)

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Well, I think having a budget and staying within it can have something to do with a good marriage. Many stressors in a marriage have to do with money. This wedding had to be economical because my DIL's mom was ill, and had zero money for a wedding. Sadly she later died.

My husband and I got married fairly economically...got married in a church, had the reception in a church building. My dress was , to me, pretty but not that expensive. I never had a fancy diamond ring, just a plain gold band, which I wear happily and with pride. Fancy has nothing to do with how lucky I have felt for 44 years. I mean, I'm married to someone who is cheerful, for crying out loud.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My first wedding was in June in my grandparents rose garden. It wad perfect and affordable. I made all of the dresses a d my mom made a beautiful cake.

Sadly that marriage didn't last but I have 26 years in to this one a d we got married at the Oregon coast our on a balcony as the sun was setting

It was perfect !

Weddings have gotten so over the top expensive. My neice is a weddiing photographer and just to hire her is the price of a car lol

Melissa, how did you end up in Italy?

Jackie, what a fabulous red, white and blue explosion and no dogs were frightened by it.

Happy Anniversary to our June and July brides.

2 years ago

Erasmus, amen to your comments! I think expensive weddings are insane; if DD gets married, she's going to get the kind of wedding I had unless she pays for it herself. She won't mind. Ours was really nice and I remember it fondly.

Kristine, DH is a native of Italy who lived most of his working life in the U.S. When he retired (he's older than I am) I wanted to live somewhere other than the U.S. for a couple of years, so we went to Italy, where we ended up buying a retired farm and staying permanently. I'm happy to be here, though I miss my family and am wondering when Covid and the price of airplane tickets will allow me to go back for a visit. I haven't seen them in three years.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Erasmus - cheerful means a LOT!!! Waaay more important than money. Cheerful makes a great life partner!!

Kristine - I bet that was gorgeous....sun setting. Wonderful!! I love what you said about no dogs being frightened. LOL

Melissa - three years. Yeah, that's a long time. Maybe everyone wants a destination vacation and will come and see you?

2 years ago

Kristine, they'll come if they can afford it--next summer--but "afford" is a real question. I want my older sister to see the garden. The last time she came was in 2016. It was a good year (the following year 2017 was really tough); she had a great visit and we spent a lot of time looking around the garden, as sis has been in horticulture all her life and is a great plantsperson, and we have similar ideas on garden design and environmental concerns. She's exactly the person you dream of giving a garden tour to.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

And she took great photos, Melissa.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Oh, that will be wonderful when she comes, Melissa!! :) :)

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

I've enjoyed hearing about weddings, etc.

I really like Fourth of July

2 years ago

Sheila: you remembered! I'll tell my sister that!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Erasmus - that is a STUNNER of a picture of a beautiful rose bloom!!! Oh my!!!

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Thanks, Rosecanadian. You are always so kind and encouraging to people.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Awww...thanks Erasmus. :) :) :)