Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_887739440

Walk-In Pantry / Butler Pantry combo?

Shar
2 years ago

I'd like some opinions. One kitchen design I'm considering would include a large space that could function either as a walk-in pantry, or as a butler's pantry to get into the formal dining room. Going from the kitchen to the dining room otherwise would require a more winding route out through the hallway, so I'd like for there to be a thru space. There would be enough room for cabinetry/shelving on both sides of the space either way, along with pocket doors. I wouldn't include a sink, as there's a prep sink close enough in the kitchen.

My question is, would there be any significant problems with using the space as both a butler's pantry and for food storage? Going on the assumption that I wouldn't badly need the extra room for storage, so it wouldn't be a great sacrifice. One side of the room would be pantry food shelving, and the other would have cabinetry for the nice dishware, moving through with food, etc. I'm wondering because pantries are supposed to remain cool and dry, which wouldn't be helped in the times when we carry through hot, steaming dishes. I'm not sure if that would be enough to ruin the space for food storage.

Comments (12)

• rrah
    2 years ago

Unless you're holding banquets for hundreds in your dining room, the amount of moisture created by carrying food through the space will be minimal. I also assume the pantry doors would be shut which would further keep out any moisture.

I suspect most pantries built in houses in the last 40 years are the same temperature as the rest of the house. It's just like storing food or household supplies in a kitchen cabinet.

Shar thanked rrah
  • Julie Praus
    2 years ago

I would go with the walk through pantry because I find an awkward kitchen/dining room access frustrating. If the route to the dining room is long, windy or detached from the kitchen, it just increases the chance that the dining room won’t get used and become an expensive unused room. Focus on pantry details that will optimize a dish storage area and a food storage area, keep all food prep in the kitchen and I wouldn’t be too concerned about generating excess heat in the food storage area.

Shar thanked Julie Praus
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

I agree with the two previous posts. If you still have concerns, add a bathroom-type ceiling vent.

Shar thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Definitely the walk through. You can use it as you describe, and if/as your needs change, you can change how you use the space. And all along, you added traffic circulation to your house, which is a good thing.

Shar thanked bpath
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO if you plan to use this as butlers pantry , I agree a good idea, then I would install a sink and use this space exactly like a real butlers pantry ,. Have you foor storage on one side with doors a simple set of sliding doors to make access easy. On the other side a nice set of base cabinets some glass cabinets above for all your dishes you use for entertaining and glassware , liquor and the sink is IMO a must . Set that side up as the service area for the DR and you have a perfect set up and please there is no reason to worry about moisture

Shar thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Sink if you intend to use it as a wet bar. A wet bar has a host of other needs that are not compatible with a dining room, such as ice, small refrigerator, implements and accessories very different from dinner table needs, assortment of bar glasses as opposed to wine and water glasses. It sounds like you will be using it as storage and handy use of special tabletop, so no sink is necessary.

Shar thanked bpath
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO all the items in a wet bar are compatible with a DR in fact that was part and parcel of the purpose of a true butlers pantry .

• strategery
    2 years ago

Walk-through! If you need a pantry, make it a pantry.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Well, &^%(.

There are two sinks and a dishwasher where I store my food.

Really, do make it a walk-through. Call it whatever you want. :)

• suezbell
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A butler's pantry definitely would be preferable to winding route between kitchen and dining areas. Depending upon the width, you might put "butler's pantry" cabinetry with a 16"-18" countertop between base cabinets and upper cabinets on one side and shallow floor to ceiling cabinets with no countertop on the other side. It will make for a much less cluttered pantry, too. You could use cabinets to match your kitchen cabinets ... just not as deep.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

The big question: what functions do you see this space serving? Be very specific and list out all your desires -- for example, do you see this as a place to prep dessert so it's quick to get to the table? or do you see yourself setting out self-serve drinks for guests? do you want to store just food, or do you also have a collection of cookbooks or large serving pieces that need to be stored? Be specific, and then you can design the space.

As for moisture, no big deal.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals