Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

More fashion talk….age appropriate

eld6161
2 years ago

I’m in my 60’s and find myself drawn to clothing from Loft, Gap, Banana. I might buy a thing or two at JJill and Talbot’s.

I recently bought this Gap t-shirt dress. It is more form fitting than it looks on the hanger. I have many tanks tops like this one.

What do you think?

Comments (20)

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Those are simple "classic" clothing pieces. Imo, it's more about a garment suiting a body than the body's age. (I've never have a body shape that looks good in t-shirt dresses and doubt that will change with the years.)

eld6161 thanked tartanmeup
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    2 years ago

I am 58 and I would wear that. It's cute and looks very comfortable. I am all about comfortable clothes!! I would prefer that it have a "V" neck for me but it's still something I would wear.

eld6161 thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I find lots of simple, lower priced classics at Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic - which are all owned by the same company.

I agree it's about customer taste and discernment, not presuming automatic suitability or unsuitability based on a label.

Those items look classic to me too, and I envy those who can rock a t-shirt dress.

eld6161 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

These pieces look great to me. I have a good idea of what you look like from pics you have posted, and while I do think age appropriate matters, suitabilty is about the whole package, the fit, the style the look, and you, dear eld, look fabulous.

eld6161 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • cawaps
    2 years ago

Nothing age-inappropriate about it.

The number of T-shirt dresses and sleeveless jersey dresses in my wardrobe exploded last year.

eld6161 thanked cawaps
  • nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

Glad you can wear them. Those are classics. I’m about 60 years old and would definitely wear them(except t-shirt dresses aren’t a great look for me).

eld6161 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I completely agree that "age appropriate" is primarily about fitting your body and occasion. The tank top and shirt dress look cute and casual. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing your legs or arms at any age.

eld6161 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • rubyclaire
    2 years ago

I struggle with this a bit. My wardrobe largely consists of jeans (white, blue & black), black slim pants, basic tee shirts (found one I love but a little $$), jackets and button-down shirts and blouses. This is basically the same wardrobe I've had for 40 years!

The difference is I pay more attention to fit and fabric with a nod to "age appropriateness". I do not posess Ida's lean and fit shape (congratulations on the hard work and payoff Ida!) so my jeans are slightly less form-fitting than 20 years ago and tee-shirts are not skin tight. Those are the kinds of adjustments I make for age/fit for myself.

I agree women can wear whatever they want without regard to age. I think a 20-something can look smashing in tight leather pants and a silk shirt. I think a 60-something can wear the same thing but maybe the leather pants are not quite so tight :). So I guess I have qualifiers...:)

ETA: I didn't respond to your question Eld...I think the tank is a great basic and the tee shirt dress I guess would depend upon how form-fitting it is.

eld6161 thanked rubyclaire
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I like it a lot and would wear it myself at 72. I recently ordered a Columbia t-shirt dress from Costco i think and another similar sleeveless dress in a print from Amazon. Both were cheap and I love them for being comfy to throw on. I wore one out to eat with friends and wore a jean jacket with it because i am always chilly in a restaurant. Got compliments.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • cmm1964
    2 years ago

Im 57 and wear this style quite often. i love a good polo styled t shirt dress. I am tall thin so I have to be careful a style like this is not too short I would wear it with a Keds style lace up shoe .

eld6161 thanked cmm1964
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

The age appropriate brought a chuckle. I have a quite tall friend close to my age (approaching 70), very slim, fit. Budget no issue, but she had been buying teen dresses in a Forever 21 shop and wearing them as tunics or tops with leggings and narrow knit pants. She always looked put together and wonderful, appropriately dressed.

eld6161 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

eld, you have a great figure and if you like it and it's comfortable for you, go for it. It's not like it's an outré trend that all the young kids are wearing that older women end up looking like wannabes in. Rather it's a classic....I think I made my first t-shirt dress when I was 14!

eld6161 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

For me, I'm finding that I have to wear different colors now that I'm older. And a slightly different style. If you're into "Color Me Beautiful" kinds of style advice, I used to be a "Summer" but have aged into a "Winter." The paler shades all alone wash me out. I still love them but need more color up by my face. And I used to love the "Ingenue" look but all that fru fru stuff ages me now. I bought a poufy peasant top two years ago as a beach cover up, was the kind of thing I used to wear all the time, but it looked silly on me. I can still wear some of the hippie peasant styles, but I have to wear more color, particularly up by my face. A little frull and lace goes a long way with me these days.

I have old lady arms and don't know if I want to go to all the effort to try and fight it. That's why my wedding dress was particularly bad, pale and sleeveless. I was supposed to wear a hot pink shrug with it but that day in late Sept. was oddly hot. My hair fell that day too . . . oh well, being with friends and family was fun so I am choosing not to dwell on that. I didn't on the day. Now I can't even get into my wedding dress, I've gained about 15 lbs. from then. Trying to take it off but I'm not motivated to exercise and starve myself. So I'm maybe embracing a more "zoftig" personality in my clothing style. I keep telling myself it's only temporary but it may not be. You can still look "put together" and stylish no matter what your age and figure. My Mom was impeccable in her dress until the day she died at 87. I marvel at how she did it, but she was the master of putting together a wardrobe and catalog shopping.

I'm seeing a lot of ladies even in their 80s embracing a casual jeans or leggings and tunics or t-shirts style. They are my role models. I have other friends that are more formal, but that's always been their style. I think if you can get by with just a few tweaks, you are lucky. I have to do a revamp only because my body has revamped.

eld6161 thanked l pinkmountain
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

I’m going to dare to offer a slightly different opinion, but let me preface it by saying I’ve always had more formal taste in clothes, despite growing up im Southern California.

I think the tank works as a layering piece on anyone. The great thing about tanks is that they come in a variety of coverage options to fit just about anyone.

I’m less convinced about the dress for a couple reasons. First, I think the breast pocket can be troublesome in it’s placement as we age. Meaning for me, they aren’t ”breast pockets” anymore.😉

Second, a lot of Gap/Banana/Ann Taylor knit pieces I‘ve seen are thin amd stretch out too easily. I want my knits to hold their shape and hang nicely all day.

Lastly, that dress looks really boxy. I’d prefer something that had more shape to it so that it conplements my changing body whether Im in great shape or less so.

eld6161 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

I think it's fine, providing the material isn't thin which I hate in tee shirts. Perfect for summer!

eld6161 thanked Oakley
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

Echoing what Spanish said, I've noticed a trend in clothing for knits to be getting thinner. Not good. One never knows these days. I haven't had good luck with the thinner pieces holding up to wear. On the flip side, I bought a knit dress last year that is thick, wearing well and I'm getting a lot of compliments on it. If they fit and look good, knit dresses are a joy to wear in general. And you can dress up or down if they are basic. I used to have a great selection in my wardrobe back when I was in my 20's and early 30's. Some of them are finally wearing out or I am growing out of them 30 years later. There even used to be a mall chain store that sold interchangeable and color coordinated knit pieces exclusively, can't remember what it was called . . . I still love knits but the style for me had to change. I now have to wear styles with strategic looseness or strategic gathering . . .

eld6161 thanked l pinkmountain
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Spanish, it is not boxy, but follows my shape. It is extremeky casual so I would wear it just running about.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    2 years ago

For sure, knits are most definitely getting thinner. Is it that the material is cheaper? Also, far fewer collars…same reason? We discussed this earlier : style following what manufacturer/ brands throw at us. All about the money. Question about aging arms: suppose sleevelss is an attractive style on your body/ shoulders: a great look…except for the wrinkles and sags, which are not so great. Which takes precedence? i am waffling between just accepting the fact of aging arms vs. a less attractive style that covers the yuk. Opine, please.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I would find a more attractive style that covers my arms. I would rather play up my strong points and play down my weak ones. Of course I am a shallow person who cares about what she sees in the mirror. I don't much care what other people see or think.