Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanabeth

Where do you recycle your clothes???

lizbeth-gardener
2 years ago

I'm planning to start cleaning out closets and want to organize my project so it actually happens. I have places that I take clothes to donate, but would also like to know about places where I can mail the clothes and they sell for me, such as ThredUP, etc. Does anyone have experience with any of these companies and care to share/recommend?

Comments (11)

• LynnNM
    2 years ago

I donate ours to a branch of the local government’s CYFD (Children, Youth & Family Division) that helps youth that are aging out of the foster care system. With clothing for jobs (and home), as well as furniture, bedding, pots and pans, dishes, books to read, etc etc. as they move into their own apartments, apply for jobs, etc etc.

lizbeth-gardener thanked LynnNM
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

I’ve sold on Poshmark. I priced things for fast sale and they sold quickly. Just be sure to include measurements and take good pictures

It was an easy process.

lizbeth-gardener thanked maddielee
  • eld6161
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I used to bring my children’s clothing to a consignment shop years ago. My local women’s consignment was more fussy and wasn’t interested in my brands.

But, maybe there is sonething within your town’s radius.

Currently, i just give items to the woman who cleans my home.

lizbeth-gardener thanked eld6161
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

After a brief flirtation with ThredUp I am back to taking my stuff to Goodwill.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

I have some ideas, but it depends on what you’re selling. Would you share designers, seasons and approximate year they were sold for what want to sell?

lizbeth-gardener thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Pink, why did you do ThredUp just a short time?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

We had a local consignment shop where I used to take things - have you checked your area?. Their rules for items they would accept were pretty tight (and by appointment). I did recover some clothing expenses but it was a lot of trouble, effort....All had to be cleaned, pressed, hanging if appropriate.

I haven't used it in several years.

It doesn't relate to your question, but I've taken things to Dress for Success, our local Clothes Bank (united council of churches and they do not charge anything for the clothing which appeals to me), occasionally Goodwill because our new store always has someone at the ready to come out to the car to meet a donator, receipt book in hand should anyone want it - I really don't even have to get out of my car and its just a little too easy ;0)

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I donated a lot of my work clothing to Christian Women’s Job Corp when I retired. They have a training program for women and help place them in jobs and procide them interview and work clothing from their closet.

I have also consigned better things until that shop closed and donated many items to a local charity (The Saving Way) that supports veterans. My daughter started selling on Poshmark several months ago, so I give her some things to sell for me. She’s good at it.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Mine all goes to a hospital thrift shop. Some could be sold on Poshmark or whatever but its not worth the trouble for me. Our township offers a service to collect textiles for recycling so the true junk goes there.

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

When I moved, I went through all my clothing, and donated anything that no longer fit but still in good shape to a group called "Big Brothers Big Sisters", which operates consignment shops, but I don't know if they are local or nationwide. They seem to have more integrity than Goodwill or the Salvation Army.