Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starrmom999

painting outside of house HELP

Barbara
2 years ago

I need to paint outside of house. Would like to go a little more contemporary. Thinking about Dunn Edwards Swiss Coffee with Expresso Macchiato trim around the gutters and roof line. Not sure if I should paint bricks in Swiss coffee. Not sure what color to paint garage doors. Thinking about the Expresso for front door. Would love suggestions. I live in Southern California. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Trying to match obviously the roof and the pavers.

Comments (15)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I’d also recommend staying light. Maybe a different color. Something less yellowy but still white.
    I might remove the “Tudor style” trim.

Barbara thanked HU-187528210
  • housegal200
    2 years ago

Agree that your current color is fine. Either extend that to the garage, or paint the garage doors same coppery color as your driveway pavers. The darker doors will recede; they overwhelm the rest of the house now.

Mid Century Modern ADA Remodel · More Info

Barbara thanked housegal200
  • Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Can you remove those pieces of trim above the garage. That would give it a new look and wouldn't look so tudor-like.

• housegal200
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Now that I'm taking a second look, think about removing the brick "wings" entirely or at least at the entrance side. You have such a deep, dark entry, consider a much brighter front door color if you plan to paint it--not espresso.

partially-covered interior courtyard · More Info

Ave A · More Info

Match the chairs to door color. Put colorful potted plants on the steps once the brick wings are gone.

Here's a California style house with off white/ivory stucco and orange trim:

Modern Spanish Remodel West Hollywood · More Info

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I agree to remove the trim. Or paint them the same color as what you choose.

Barbara thanked eld6161
  • Angel 18432
    2 years ago

My feelings about the "wings" also. I didn't want to add more to my suggestions as I had

already mentioned something that wasn't asked and sometimes posters get annoyed with

additional comments/suggestions.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

I agree with a color that has less yellow. Swiss Coffee is nice but can really look much lighter on the exterior...almost white if that's what you want. We live in SoCal and have used it for exterior trim.

• Barbara
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So my thought was to paint the brick wings white I don't think it would be very easy to get rid of them. I also was thinking about most of the trim being painted white and only doing the expresso up by the gutters and the roof line.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Swiss Coffee seem to have a pink undertone, at least on my monitor.

I think Doric white would look good. I would paint the entire house including the trim that color. A matte on the siding and satin on the trim.

I like the brick detail and would not change it, but I would remove the fan shape grids from the garage.

If you want to play up the trim then one of these combinations might work for you. I think Shaggy Bark would be a good trim color for Doric White, too.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

i live in a similar area and did Swiss Coffee (Behr or DE I believe) on my stucco, BM Wrought Iron on the trim, and DE platinum on the fascia at roofline (hard to get a good pic because the sun is always behind the house)

Garage doors are a wood look. gate is redwood

what I would suggest is removing the arched glass inserts in the door and going more squared, like this. here's whata darker color would look like. (you have to imagine it w/the darker trim)

So if you did the mount etna or racoon fur, and then painted the brick in the same white as the stucco (see the second pic), it might look nice.

I used the doors from this pic. notice the white brick around the door, the square glass inserts and the deep blue color. (and new lights in a black or ORB finish). looks really cool.

I photoshopped the brick in the white (Romabio masonry paint is what is shown here) and just put in the gold for the doors to see how it would look. I think I like something on the left better. you could do the gold on the front door or the trim.

here's more of a darker warm gray color

i put in these gray blues because they seem to accent the cobble driveway tones. paired w/the antique copper, a creamy white, it all may look nice. you could do the front door in the blue

here's one in a dark brown color. I don't like this color as much as I do something like Racoon Fur. Don't like brown at all.

Or, some other colors that work w/the driveway and brick

The Racoon Fur would be similar to how the Wrought Iron looks on my house. Racoon has a touch more blue to it. looks nice w/the Twilight gold and one of the softer whites

bring in a diff garage light

• Barbara
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Love your ideas Beth. What app or website did you use to change the colors ? Love the outdoor light fixture. Where in Southern California are you located? I'm in Oak Park, outside of Thousand Oaks.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Beth, your place looks perfect, really perfect!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Barbara (and housegal200) thanks!

I'm in North OC, right on the border of LA county/OC. most of the homes in my neighborhood look like yours and mine. 1980?

we just cut down a huge tree next to the driveway and will redo ours. I love those pavers you did , but w/our roof and the stone accent on the front of our house, it might be too much. I'll just stick to concrete, tint it, and maybe do a brick ribbon around the edges.

your roof looks almost identical to what we had. (see pics below) Wehad ours redone two years ago and went w/the charcoal cement spanish tiles, but you can see the original tiles on a rental we have in the same neighborhood.

Here's a pic of it after I redid the yard in a xeriscape design.

I did very similar cobbles in the walkway. This is the original cement tile roof that we used to have. (my stucco was very spanish looking in gold and copper!)

This house I painted in DE Swiss Coffee (or maybe Behr! I always forget which one I used) and a regular black trim

Here's the before! a beauty, eh? lol

More of a recent pic after the succulents have grown.

you can see the garage doors are almost like yours. And, you can see how Swiss Coffee doesn't look as bright white like the garage doors. I think it's time I head down there and clean up the yard, paint the door a new color, and think about painting those garage doors. If you have a similar color roof, you can get an idea of what the colors will look like.

Better shot of the back area so you can see how the Swiss Coffee looks w/the black around the patio overhang. I like the contrast.

Let me show you my own front door area.

Once I changed my roof tiles, I had to lose the gold and copper coloring. This iwas the before.

If you notice, we both have those trim accent pieces above the garage door. on the previous, I chose to paint them all the same color, but on this new pic, you can see how I did both colors. (like yours is now)

so depending on the new colors you choose, you could do the two tone colors, or paint it all the same color

As for the photoshop, I use my Mac Desktop Preview and just copy and paste on to my photos. Sherwin Williams has ColorSnap App that will let you try out colors onto your photos. maybe try that one?

• Barbara
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thank you for all this information. You have a great eye for color. I am going to take a look at the grey too. Our house was built in 88 and it does look quite similar.