Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

Seeking leaf damage ID

djacob Z6a SE WI
2 years ago

I know you all are getting tired of my recent posts, but………does anyone know what caused this damage? Cutworms (seems late for them?), leaf cutting bees, slugs on hostas that have been drenched with ammonia (tho it does not look like slug damage, really………anyone know?

debra

Comments (15)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

That looks like something with four legs would do.

tj

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

I agree, looks like the job of a critter with legs and teeth, though probably not a deer, unless it was a young sampler, since it only nibbled and didn't eat the leaves all the way back to the petioles.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Squirrels?? They have two nests, maybe 3 in the trees around my yard………..tho I have neve seen them chewing on these or any other hosta. I am in the city so no deer……. there are raccoons that visit, usually trying to get some dry cat food before I bring it in from the screen porch at night……would they chew on a hosta leaf? Then there’s the cats…… they occasionally chew grass and other leaves to help get a hairball out of their system, but I have never seen this type of damage from them, ever. I can see squirrels from my front window when I am, watching tv or am using my ipad. Never seen them stop and chew….

dig yes, chew no. I will have to check the front video cam to see if that yeilds any information. Thanks!

debra

• Fori
    2 years ago

I don't know what eats hostas besides slugs, but caterpillars are certainly capable of that bite pattern. They do hang around their meals though and leave lots of poop. Juvenile grasshoppers leave my roses looking like that as well and they're mobile enough to do it when you're not looking.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Fori
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well Fori, there are tons of grasshoppers in the yard, but this seems to be the only plant affected. Go figure. Thanks Thanks!

debra

• dhaven
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Looks like rabbit damage, probably young rabbits. I had to smile at your assertion that you don't have deer because you live in the city. I live near a city of 80,000 people, and there are deer in every area of town, including the downtown on the ped mall, in grocery store parking lots, on the University campus, and of course in everyone's gardens. Unless you live in the heart of a very large city, you probably have deer. You won't often see them during daylight hours, but they are there. The county I live in averages 1500 major deer vs car incidents every year.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked dhaven
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, you nailed it dhaven! I do live in the central part of Milwaukee, WI. I know they are in the bigger parks and golf courses, but never in over 36 years have I seen one walking down my street, geez, the way people drive, you can hardly walk down the street yourself! Hahahaha! My husband saw a coyote on the golf course the other day, early eveming. We have racoons always trying to get at cat food on the screen porch and have an occassional possum as well. No rabbits in my yard either because of the cats…….. momma bunnies don’t pick our yard. But squirrels we’ve got! I am thinking they are the most likely candidate. Thanks for your info though!

debra

2 years ago

I can't say I've seen a squirrel eat a hosta ... but maybe ours just have too many better options to show interest in leaves.

Fori makes a good point about grasshoppers ... they can definitely do a number on foliage. Perhaps you have a plague or locusts?

• Fori
    2 years ago

Flood, fire, plague...yeah, locusts just feels like the answer. :)

I bet that's a pretty hosta when it's not munched up.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Fori
  • steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

Our furry critters here take the whole leaf. My money is on grasshoppers which are rather abundant this year. Caterpillars leave damage like that, but there is usually their telltale poop around like Fori said.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, it certainly feels like a ”plague” of locusts when I walk through the grass =>> they are jumping all over!! ;-)

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would the grasshoppers also do this to my coneflowers?

debra

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Those coneflowers just look done ...

Birds will happily consume the seeds out of those seedheads if you postpone deadheading.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I have seen the finches do this, but I usually deadhead them as I have yard/house cats. (long story) and they can be tempted if birds get to close!

debra

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz