Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnagardens

Free roses to a good home

Dave5bWY
2 years ago

Hello Rose Friends,

Life has taken a fairly unexpected turn and I will be moving back West and will not be taking any of my roses with me. I live in the greater St. Louis, MO region and would like to be able to find homes for the potted roses. If you or someone you know would like one or more of the varieties below, PM me. I won’t be able to ship any of these, unfortunately.

David Austins:

Evelyn

Abraham Darby X 2

Charles Darwin

The Prince

The Squire

Claire Rose

Port Sunlight X 2

Mayor of Casterbridge

Sister Elizabeth X 2

OGRs:

La Reine X 2

Deuil de Dr. Reynaud

Louise Odier

Queen of Denmark

Ispahan

Hoag House Cream

Paul Bardens:

Marianne

Golden Buddha X 2

Treasure Trail

Mel’s Heritage

Shrubs:

Scentuous

St. Ethelburga

Other:

Sweet Chariot

Aunt Margy’s Rose

Pretty Polly Lavender

Petal Pushers

Comments (29)

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

That’s a great collection Dave, I actually googled how far it is to drive from my house in Dallas to you, but 10 hrs is a bit far. All the best to you in your new future plans.

Dave5bWY thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Kes Z 7a E Tn
    2 years ago

Dave, you have outstanding taste in roses, meaning you have a bunch that I wish I had. Missouri is a long way away from me, though, so I'll just hope some lucky person will show up and take them home.

Dave5bWY thanked Kes Z 7a E Tn
  • Brandon Garner
    2 years ago

Dave, sorry that you hhave to leave your rroses behind. I sensent you a message and am in St Peters Mo and would love to take you up on your offer.

I put my number in the message, but if it would be easier I check the forum often as well

Brandon

Dave5bWY thanked Brandon Garner
  • joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

There was a thread a while ago with someone trying to source Paul Barden's roses to make them more available, I hope they see this!

Dave5bWY thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all. I’ve had to leave roses behind in the past but this just feels a bit harder because of the more substantial time and money I’ve put into them here but I do look forward to living in a different climate and trying something new.

@joeywyomingzone4 - what general part of WY do you live? I may need to get some tips from you on growing roses in a colder zone. I will be moving to Star Valley.

@Brandon Garner - It was nice to meet you this morning. I’m happy many of these roses will have a great home.

Here are a few potted roses I still have left if anyone is interested:

Deuil de Dr. Reynaud

Sweet Chariot

Aunt Margy’s rose

48” Weeping China Doll standard

Belle Sans Flatterie (I forgot to list these two initially)

Ispahan

Queen of Denmark

St. Ethelburga

La Reine x 2

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    2 years ago

Wow, Belle Sans Flatterie looks like such a beauty, and no U.S. vendors currently. Not a rose I was familiar with, so I looked it up: https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.634. Vintage catalog comment starts, "About as perfect as an old rose can be...". Did yours come from Vintage, Dave?

Dave5bWY thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

If only I could have made that drive 😭

Dave5bWY thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

@Dave5bWY we are in the Sheridan area, in northern Wyoming. We are about 40 minutes from the Montana border. Always happy to chat roses! I'm sorry you have to leave your gorgeous garden but I hope that you enjoy planning your new one.

Dave5bWY thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@catspa_zone9sunset14 - this Belle Sans Flatterie came from Palatine. It, like some of these others, were going to go in the ground but I’m not sure if the future homeowners will even like or keep the in ground roses and so I’d rather these at least go to a good home.

@joeywyomingzone4 - Oh, okay - what a nice area. It may be a bit but once I get settled, I’ll be happy to start again.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@Dave5bWY What a beautiful area! I've been through there several times. Good luck starting again ♡ Change is hard but it helps to have an adventurous heart.

Dave5bWY thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Brandon Garner
    2 years ago

@Dave5bWY, it was nice to meet you as well. Thank you for the roses. Good luck in Wyoming.

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    2 years ago
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’m wishing you all the best with your move, Dave! Please keep us updated. We are here to help with the transition in any way we can! Climate-wise, your move is a little like my move from TX to MN. I hope you discover some nice surprises with the rose classes that turned up their petals at your MO weather! When I moved to MN, I discovered the fairytale magic of Old European Garden Roses growing in a zone that truly inspires full flushes of their famously lush blooms! Disease pressure was negligible compared to N TX, too. Maybe that will be true of Wyoming—a welcome change from the annual event of blackspotted leaves? It is lovely that you passed along your collection to Brandon! I know firsthand the bittersweetness of handing over treasured roses to another collector, and for me, it meant the world that the recipient is someone who loves my precious roses as much as I did. I hope the gifting was made easier by the fact that your treasures are embraced and tended by another forum member who deeply appreciates the value! Sending all the best for your journey! Carol

Dave5bWY thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

P.S. ‘Tuscany Superb’, ’Cardinal de Richelieu’, ’Belle de Crecy’, ’Orpheline de Juillet,’ ’Belle sans Flatterie,” R gallica ’Versicolor’, ’Camaieaux’, R alba ’Semi Plena’, ’Felite Parmentier’, ‘Konigen von Danemark’, ’Maiden’s Blush’, ‘William Lobb’, ’Crested Moss’, ‘Madame Hardy’, ’La Ville de Bruxelles’, ’Stanwell Perpetual’, ‘Blanc Double de Courbet’, ’Belle Poitevine’, Paul Barden’s Gallicas,…. :-) I don’t grow all of these anymore, but I do have a number of OGRs. Feel free to message me if you can’t locate a rose that I might have, and I’ll see if I can manage to root it up for you. Carol

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose - Thank you so much! It does feel good to know the roses are going to good homes. I am very excited that so many OGRs are cold hardy - I look forward to trying some new varieties. You have some wonderful ones - I’ll take you up on that offer if I cannot find them :)

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Brandon Garner - the new homeowners are removing the garden and if you are interested in any in ground roses, you are welcome to some of them. I can get you in touch with them (they’re friends). You would have to dig them up but are free. There are mostly DAs, some less common/rare ones such as Pretty Jessica, The Countryman, etc, and OGRs.

• Brandon Garner
    2 years ago

@Dave5bWY Thank you for the offer. I would totally be interested. I sent you a message with my phone number in it to be contacted on.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Best wishes for the digging and rehoming, Brandon! I haven’t forgotten pics of Frederic. Getting on it….

Dave, my last garden was ultimately removed, too, but a friend who lives next door to my old place snagged some precious goodies before they were tossed. 🎉 There were Vintage Gardens roses in there! 😱 I am so glad Brandon is adopting your lovely roses! How is gardening in Wy?

Carol

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m so sorry your garden was removed, Carol but that’s great a friend was able to take some and care for them. I’m glad Brandon can use and enjoy some.

Garden plans are in place and the snow is quickly dissipating - I can’t wait to get out there and dig in the dirt. Bareroot roses won’t arrive for 2-4 weeks and potted ones for 6-8 weeks and so I still have a bit of time to wait but annual and perrenial seedlings are keeping me going at the moment :)

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s great gardens this year!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Glad to hear a lot of roses went to good homes. How are the roses now? I will be transfering many roses from my old house to a new garden. Should I keep them in pots for a while or just plant them right in the new garden?

Dave5bWY thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

If you can get them right over, Summers, I would plant them directly. If it were the wrong season to plant or the new sites were not ready the pots would be a temporizing measure.

When I moved from Alaska, I potted a few roses in Spring that I wanted to move to Oregon in the Fall. This was because it was still hot in Oregon in September and they would have fried if they weren't potted and in the shade in Oregon at first after the move.

Dave5bWY thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Thanks Sheila. I can move them and plant them directly in garden during the spring time. There are only 16 miles between the two houses. I will see how many roses I could dig up each trip.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

That should work great, Summers. I'm so glad you can take them. With the properties so close and it being perfect planting time they will do well. You could put them in Hefty bags to haul them over or trugs.

Dave5bWY thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Thanks. The house will be ready for rent soon, It's time to move most of the roses over, clean up the yard. I didn't think I'd move after all those years. Lol

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Best of luck with your move @summersrhythm_z6a! That’s great you can take them with you and the time of year is in your favor.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Thanks Dave. I have hundreds to dig, to pull out, got 2 months to do it before weather gets hot.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Dave, I look forward to your new garden posts! All the best with your planting when the roses start arriving.

Summer, I’m sending you some elbow grease along with my best wishes! Hundreds of roses….you are an inspiration for sure!!

Carol

• summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Dave, I can’t wait to see your new garden too.

Carol, thanks! I need all the help I can get. :-)