Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christabottomley

What does a drain look like that has a batch feed garbage disposal?

Christa Bottomley
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Ive heard batch feed garbage disposals have a cover to the drain that sticks out, preventing something like a pot from sitting level on the bottom of the sink. also that they are kinda ugly looking. Anyone have pictures of their sink with batch feed garbage disposal?

Also considering a continuous feed if I can put the air button somewhere besides the counter. Im planning on getting a farmhouse sink so right in front of the sink is not an option. I hate anything besides the faucet to clean around on my counter.

Pictures are much appreciated!!!! A google image search just gives me pictures of the whole unit.

Comments (13)

• Christine Smith
    2 years ago

I️ don’t have a pic but my previous house had a batch feed and the cover does not stick out and pots can sit level.

Christa Bottomley thanked Christine Smith
  • sushipup1
    2 years ago

You only put the cover in place when you run the disposal for a couple of minutes. Otherwise, it's sitting on the counter, off to the side. Without the cover/switch, you see a normal looking drain.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

It soesnt look any different than any other sink.

• Christa Bottomley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I actually did and got nothing helpful. thanks

• Christa Bottomley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ive read in other old threads that the cover sits in the drain the way a strainer would. I dont think I would want another thing sitting on the counter, esp something like that.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

I keep the stopper of my batch feed disposal in the drain at all times and have no issues with pans not sitting flat. The handle sits lower than the surrounding drain. If you twist the handle one way it allows it to remain in place and drain like a normal sink, twist it the other way and the disposal engages. I prefer batch feed over the switch type as it is safer.

Christa Bottomley thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • Christa Bottomley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmmmm…i just get pictures of the stoppers or the units but not installed in the sinks to see how they look installed. and many of the pictures I get look like they would stick up if they were installed, further increasing my interest in seeing one installed. what were your serch terms? I put ”batch garbage disposal” and ”batch garbage disposal drain stopper”. I dont see any pictures of one installed (except pics from under the sink, not looking down into the sink).

• Christa Bottomley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeah, I see that one way down but its still not showing what Im looking for. I want to see what it looks like when the stopper is in place and is working like a strainer. The only one I really see is this which makes it look like it would interfere with dishes/pan sitting level in the sink. If thats what they all look like I may rather get a continuous model. But other people have said that theirs sits low enough so that it doesnt interfere with dishes in the sink. Im teying to confirm that and am wondering what that would look like.

• M Miller
    2 years ago

I have a Waste King batch feed 3/4 hp disposal 9900TC. Sometimes I keep the stopper in the drain, sometimes I put it in the corner on the side. Shrug, it’s no big deal either way. Never interferes with anything. The thing is, my sink has an offset drain. When a sink drain is offset, it’s out of the way of anything you want to set down in the sink.

This pic is not my sink, it’s just a photo to show you what a sink with an offset drain looks like. It’s the Kohler Whitehaven apron-front sink, but Elkay, Blanco and Kraus also make sinks with offset drains.

@Christa Bottomley - Your posts sound like you should not get a batch feed disposal - just get a continuous feed disposal with an air switch to operate it. And the air switch needs to be in the counter - your fear of ”cleaning around the air switch” is exaggerated and without basis in reality. Have you seen what an air switch looks like? (it’s the little flat button to the right of the faucet in the pic below)

• Christa Bottomley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The offset drain idea makes a lot of sense as then it wouldnt matter if stuck out. I’ve just never seen either a batch feed or an air switch operated GD. To be honest, I’d never even heard of either until this morning when I was googling for ideas on where to put the switch for GD with an island. My mother-in-law has a false drawer in front of the sink to hide the switch but I’m hoping to install a farmhouse sink so thats not an option.

My current sink has (no kidding!) SIX things to wipe around beind the sink with a very narrow space between each. They’re also squeezed in right up against the wall too! To make it worse we have the worst hard water so it gets really bad buildup. I think I’m just dreaming of day I only have a faucet to wipe around! In general, its a very badly thought out kitchen (that was recently remo by someone else) that is hard to clean so I‘m trying to consider everything in advance before we finalize things for building the new house. It would be a shame to spend all this time and money only to not think of something that could have made life easier!

M Miller, your post was by far the most helpful Ive gotten so far (excexcept for Carolin Hamilton’s which was also quite helpful). But I’m not sure where your getting the belligerent tone…are you sure you’re not reading into it a bit? I was trying to clarify my question to other posters who didnt seem to understand the gist of the question. But no belligernce is intended. I did scratch my head a bit at being called ”obtuse” though considering my question hadn’t been answered and I was seeking to clarify. But nothing more than that. Perhaps I should insert some emojees? 😝😉😁 (thats a joke;)

• Julie K
    2 years ago

I love our Franke 3/4 hp batch disposal! It's almost 8 years old and still works great!! I've had batch disposals in two homes and plan to install a 1 hp Insinkerator batch disposal in our upcoming kitchen remodel.

Here's how our sink looks most of the time. I've never used a drain catcher with a batch disposal.

The second pic is when the stopper is in the disposal but the disposal isn't on. The stopper sticks up a little above the sink bottom, but the top of the stopper is lower than the sink grid. The lid allows liquids to empty into the sink when the stopper is in the disposal.

The last pic is when the stopper is in my disposal and the disposal is running. The stopper is flush with the bottom of my sink. If you don't have a sink grid, then items would still sit flat in the sink.

Hope that helps!

Christa Bottomley thanked Julie K
  • Christa Bottomley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow, that is so helpful! Thank you!!!!