Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoegirl0426

What to do with my fireplace wall, hearth and mantle?

shoegirl0426
2 years ago

We moved into a 70’s house and have been slowly updating it over the past four years. We took out some giant built in cabinets that covered all but the electric fireplace, hoping that the brick was in good shape behind them. No such luck. We are doing this project ourselves to keep costs down. I’m keeping the floating hearth and will be using the left side for extra seating. I would also like a wooden mantle. Should I go straight across from one wall to the other like the old mantle would’ve? Center it with the hearth? Make it slightly overlap? What kind of material can we do on top of the brick? Should I go a full rock wall again or part drywall? What kind of material should we use to finish the hearth? It used to be slate tile but it was half broken off so we got it back down to bare concrete. So many questions! This has been an eyesore in our home for six months. Please help!!

Comments (8)

• palimpsest
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

How about stucco over all the brick? You would have to fill in the holes with brick or cement board. I would probably do a simple ledge and either center it over the existing raised hearth or over the firebox, lining it up with the right edge of the existing heart and repeat the overhang it creates over the left side. It would take some experimentation.

• Marci
    2 years ago

I looked at your fireplace renovation idea book. They were all good ideas and you have a blank canvas. I think you will get more actionable advice if you post pictures of the entire room with the furniture and also your favorite inspiration photo.

• PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    2 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/photos/mid-century-modern-split-level-renovation-midcentury-living-room-phvw-vp~115185666 I liked your mid-century pick with white brick and wood mantel. Seems to be the list expensive and in keeping with your home.

• shoegirl0426
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advice so far!! You’re all so helpful :) Here is some more pics of the whole room to give you a better idea of what I’m dealing with. The room is a sunken living room off of the kitchen.

• carol beachlady
    2 years ago

Yes, cover over or remove the old brick - lots of damage to the old brick and then there is that empty spot over the fireplace. I would install a large mantel shelf - perhaps a natural wood, centered over the existing firebox. White/off-white is good, as you need light at that end of the room. A room-size rug will pull everything together. Not sure where you are going with the furniture - but that seems to be a work in progress. . .There was a similar issue not too long ago, and there, the fireplace was off-center also, with space on the left side. Several of the responses suggested a large chair, and floor lamp for reading , and perhaps some large wall art. . . send us some photos when it's complete.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I think I would try and salvage bricks from the top of your fireplace to patch the hole and damage on the bottom portion. Then…I would drywall the top section of the fireplace wall, create a long, thick wooden mantle reaching from wall to wall, and then paint the bottom section with the firebox. A black slate hearth would look great!

• felizlady
    2 years ago

You need to cover all the plywood areas, damaged areas, areas with vertical marks, and areas with residual mastic or grout which can’t be removed. If the “fireplace” is electric, why does there seem to be smoke smudge above it? It may be easier and more attractive to cover the entire wall with new stone or brick and install a nice mantel from wall to wall, supported by corbels in matching wood.